GBA/GameBoy Micro USB PC Connection

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Keretto, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Keretto
    OP

Keretto Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    Hi! I just replaced my GameBoy Micro charger wall plug to a usb. I connected it to a pc and it charges but there is no GameBoy Micro files or anything showing up. Now don't worry I know that it would be impossible for the filesystem to show up on a pc I mean it isn't meant to be anyway but is there anything I could do to get ANYTHING out of my GameBoy Micro connected to a pc? Thanks!

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    No... There are no data pins, and no storage to tap into. Sorry mate.

Keretto likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have never seen the micro variation but there have been two classes of thing to link a GBA to the PC, and as the micro is electrically and protocol compatible with the GBA (it just lacks the GB/GBC capability so it has a slightly different shaped port to prevent the clueless from causing issues) they would work here as well.

1) Many years ago there was an emulator called VBA-link-real which functioned like a link cable between a PC and a real GBA. As far as I know the specs for the cable are lost and nobody has figured it out again, or made a new one, but
    2) Standard multiboot cables, there are many of these but they all do the same thing and make it so a link cable goes between the PC (or some other non GBA/gamecube/wii device) and allows you to send a small bit of code over the cable and have it boot/run. There are a variety of cables out there http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm#Multiboot covers them and links to a few you could build too.

If you only want to dump GBA games and saves though then get a DS or DS lite (no dsi or 3ds as they don't have a GBA slot), basically any DS slot flash cart and a copy of rudolph's gba dumping tools. http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/applications/download-gba-backup-tool-0-21-f3228.html

Keretto likes this.
  4. Keretto
    OP

Keretto Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks a lot! So I would have to make a link to USB cable then I guess and also an older GameBoy coz as you know I tried on micro but I'm not sure... (I have a GBA and GBC too)