Hacking GBA game saves get wiped occasionally...

Elkano

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've started several GBA games and saved from within the game, but after a while (that is, a random period of time), or adding/deleting NDS or GBA games from the cart within U-Disk, I find that all GBA game saves have been deleted. Save states are fine, and NDS game saves are untouched, but every single GBA and GB/C game save has been wiped clean. Luckily, I haven't wasted hours of investment on these games, but it's extremely annoying to start these games multiple times and lose saves each time.

Anyone else have problems with this? Any idea what's going wrong, or how to fix it?

Edit: G6 Lite has been flashed with the latest version. However, this occurred prior to flashing as well.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You got a GBC rom save to work at all? I have a goomba color rom with some Zelda games in it and I can't get the save file to write onto the g6 and show up in the game. I write the save from within the manager but when I start the rom there is no save. Maybe I'm using the wrong settings but I think I tried everything...

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
DUDE,

I have the SAME ***fucking*** program. It wiped my SAV from Metroid which is extremely annoying to say the least.

Even my sav states were gone.

Elkano

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it happened again. Looks like GBC saves don't work at all (save states do, though) as expected. Regardless, it seems that whenever I

a) Remove a DS game from cart
b) Write a new one to cart
c) Have less than 0.05 Gigabytes left on card

every GBA save gets wiped. Sigh, there goes 20 hours on Super Robot Taisen.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any way to fix this? Any idea what's going on? Anything at all?

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any problems so far, before you wipe the card I would suggest backing up your saves one good way is here haven't had any problems with it so far. I haven't checked my goomba color saves yet but when I do I'll let you know.

Edit: Just checked my goomba save and it seems to have worked so far but I'm not too far as my zelda save was still there. It was from the begining but I really haven't had the time to really get into it so far.

Edit again: I'm using default settings on firmware 4.1b no compression, rts or anything (not that that should make any difference with saves being wiped)

Elkano

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A-ha! I think I've found the problem, but I need a willing volunteer who doesn't mind possibly losing their GBA saves to verify this for me.

1) Flash a GBA ROM to G6 Lite using U-Disk manager, enable Real-Time save
2) Start up game, save game
3) Turn off DS, turn on again and start said GBA game to verify save is working
4) Press L + R + B + X to open Real-Time save menu
5) Select "MAIN MENU"
6) Turn off DS, turn on again and start said GBA game.

Did your game save get erased?

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A-ha! I think I've found the problem, but I need a willing volunteer who doesn't mind possibly losing their GBA saves to verify this for me.

1) Flash a GBA ROM to G6 Lite using U-Disk manager, enable Real-Time save
2) Start up game, save game
3) Turn off DS, turn on again and start said GBA game to verify save is working
4) Press L + R + B + X to open Real-Time save menu
5) Select "MAIN MENU"
6) Turn off DS, turn on again and start said GBA game.

Did your game save get erased?

Nope.
And I did both methods of saving.
I used the in-game normal save routine to save normally, then powered off, restarted, did ABLR, main menu, then powered off and back on, and save was still there.

I also did it with save state (start up game, saved via save state), turned DS off and on, restarted game to verify, did ABLR again, main menu, powered off.

No problems at all.
BTW this was on Final Fantasy 4.
Note that when I chose "main menu" after loading a save either via save state, or normally through the game, I got the chinese "please waiting..." screen after the green disclaimer came up.

Are you getting that?

miniCooperS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The same thing happened to me. Last night I swapped my g6lite into the gba cart so i could play while my ds was charging in the other room. I played Super Robot Taisen for an hour, saved and then turned off the GBA. This morning I put the g6lite back into the ds case and took my ds to the dentist. When I sat down in the waiting room and turned on the ds, I saw that my SRT save had reverted to how it was when I copied the save to the g6 earlier last night. It hadn't saved any of my changes.

I'm going to play around with it today and see if Real time save is messing things up.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same thing happened to me.  Last night I swapped my g6lite into the gba cart so i could play while my ds was charging in the other room.  I played Super Robot Taisen for an hour, saved and then turned off the GBA.  This morning I put the g6lite back into the ds case and took my ds to the dentist.  When I sat down in the waiting room and turned on the ds, I saw that my SRT save had reverted to how it was when I copied the save to the g6 earlier last night.  It hadn't saved any of my changes.

I'm going to play around with it today and see if Real time save is messing things up.

I'm confused here.
First you said you put the G6 Lite into the GBA (big) cart, so you could play SRT on your Gameboy Advance. Then you said that later you reswapped the carts and took your G6L and DS Lite to the dentist (with you of course) and that the save had "reverted to how it was when you COPIED THE SAVE TO THE G6 LAST NIGHT".

You never mentioned copying any save to the G6 before.

When exactly DID you copy the save to the G6, and WHY and how did you copy it? It was already ON the G6 in the first place, wasn't it ?

Or did you have it on the computer in the Visual boy advance, and you had never played it before on the G6 ? .... or did you previously play on the G6L and had backed up all the saves to the computer, and then I'm assuming you deleted the game, then reinstalled it later, and later copied those saves back? You need to give this information ....

You also neglected to say if you were using real time saves or normal saves.

If you ARE using real time saves, here is the problem.

Unlike the ZSNES super NES emulator, when you *LOAD* a save state, it automatically rewrites the SRAM to match the sram that would have been present during that state save. Visualboy Advance does the same thing. I found this out the hard way, when I had reverted to before completing a dungeon in Final Fantasy 4 (when I had saved OUTSIDE, normal save, right AFTER completing the dungeon and getting Rosa cured), because I decided to load a save state, thinking that my save state was more current than my in-game save. It wasn't, and the in-game save reverted to the one that matched the place where I had last saved in-game, which became part of the save state.

So saving a game also saves the current sram state as well (most emulators ignore the sram, like ZSNES), while VBA writes the sram state as part of the save. Is that your problem ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • B
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.