Hardware GBA Backlight! (AGB-001)

The Afroman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So. I have never ordered from TaoBao. I seee the kit is 170 plus 30 EMS i'm guessing thats in Chinese Yuan? So it's about 32 bucks? Or am i converting the price wrong?

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you try adjusting the POT?
Yes.
Today i tried with another original AGS-101 screen and another AGB-001:
Same problem. Brightness too high.
So i advice not to use an original AGS-101 screen with this mod from Zerey.

So. I have never ordered from TaoBao. I seee the kit is 170 plus 30 EMS i'm guessing thats in Chinese Yuan? So it's about 32 bucks? Or am i converting the price wrong?
You don´t order via TaoBao for international orders, you have to mail him directly:
zereyzhang at yahoo dot com

wiggatron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rosecoloredgaming.com
XP
Country
United States
I've used original LCDs for the mod before without issue, so I don't know exactly what the deal is. Usually they're compatible or not. I've never seen one in between like you're describing.

There are different OEM LCDs, which is why I tend to not sell the ribbon without an LCD that I KNOW works with the adapter. So, I agree, don't bother with an original LCD. The difference between the original and aftermarket is simply not detectable in my experience anyway.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I made a group order in a german forum and another user there also tried the mod with an original screen and he had the same problem.
Both 40pin 02 models. Adjusting the poti didn´t help.
I guess it depends on the revision of the GBA.

This is how it looked:
w7z1pz9l3nhe.jpg

And this is how it looked with Zereys Screen:
odnf31vdw6a.jpg

Reactions: TripleSMoon

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was lucky enough to actually have someone seek ME out on Digital Press and offer it to me because of what I'm doing. There's no place to find them new otherwise that I know of. I just got lucky.

But honestly, I'm gonna say with 99% certainty that just doing the 101 kit is a million times better.

I installed an Afterburner back in 2007, I took me forever to track one down, I paid around $40 for it, it was a freakin' nightmare to install (you need a dust free room or you will end up with glowing specks all over thecsreen) and the results were very disappointing, nowhere near as good as AGS-001, let alone a true backlit screen.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Sam-sam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys!

Thank you all for the information you have gathered in this post. I've just ordered a cable, lcd and set of lenses for my gba. Can't wait to get hands on =P

I was considering to get an original GBA SP ASG 101, but thanks to your post truth I've decided to buy from Zerey.

I've also seen the installation guide you posted here, but there is one point I'm not sure about:

When Zerey says "adjust image button", isn't it risky to play with that contrast button? I've seen some forums advising not to touch it, as it ended breaking the original GBA AGB 001 display. Maybe the AGS 101 screen can stand it?

This is what I'm referring to:

oh, and this is why you shouldn't play with the supposedly "contrast" control

""A positive and negative voltage controls Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs). The "contrast control" that you are referring to is actually a flicker control. The adjustment is used to synchronize the positive and negative voltages. If these voltages are out of adjustment then the LCD will no longer respond correctly. The result will be an excess charge built up in the liquid crystal and permanently damage the LCD. The excessive charge gives the appearance of a brighter screen because the liquid crystal is not reacting properly to the voltages applied. When the adjustment of the voltages is correct the changing polarities will not allow a charge to build up, which prolongs the LCD life.

This adjustment is set by the manufacturer or must be performed by a qualified Nintendo Technician using proper equipment (Proper lighting, special tools, test equipment and software). Adjusting the flicker without the proper tools and lighting will put the voltages out of sync and may cause damage to the unit."

From Nintendo itself .

I'll be posting as soon as I get the items =)

wiggatron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rosecoloredgaming.com
XP
Country
United States
^^^ I don't mention it in my install manual for that reason. It's a bit of a liability, but it is unfortunately the only way to really adjust things so that they work properly (though sometimes you just get lucky).

I installed an Afterburner back in 2007, I took me forever to track one down, I paid around $40 for it, it was a freakin' nightmare to install (you need a dust free room or you will end up with glowing specks all over thecsreen) and the results were very disappointing, nowhere near as good as AGS-001, let alone a true backlit screen.

Yup, same with installing an SP front light assembly and the backlight kit for that matter. I use a LOT of canned air, a dust mask, and latex gloves when making these things. It's tough to get 'em perfect.

Sam-sam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to check with a tester (voltimeter) so that we get the perfect setting? Checking that voltage on possitive and negative are the same or something like that? Otherwise I know that it will be impossible for me to keep my hands off that screw =P

I supose it won't break just by touching it, but I want to make sure that I'm getting the best image quality.

Still have to wait for the package to arrive... ARGH!!!

jumpman1229

SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually was doing this with a GBC that I bought off of eBay. I wanted to backlight it and so I purchased a broken AGS-001 SP with a working backlight and I am planning to install it in my GBC. I haven't gotten to that point just yet, basically because I don't have access to a soldering station, but I will finish my project soon! As of right now, I have custom painted it a midnight blue and thrown several coats of gloss on top, so it protects from any damage to the paint. Here are some pics:

2012-12-04 23.44.32.jpg
2012-12-04 23.44.39.jpg
2012-12-04 23.45.00.jpg
2012-12-04 23.44.32.jpg2012-12-04 23.44.39.jpg2012-12-04 23.45.00.jpg

Sam-sam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jumpman, that's really an impressive result! No way I could get such a nice job if I tried to paint it myself =/

Let us know about your work. It will be great to see how to turn a gbc in a backlit unit without using those messy led stripes people has used so far.

(one day closer to get my screen XD)

jumpman1229

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sam-sam

I will! It actually took a while to get the paint job looking that way. I started out with an atomic purple GBC and the paint didn't cover it too well the 1st first so I put a total of 3. I plan on taking out the backlight from my SP soon and soldering the resistors within the next couple of weeks. I'll update when I have a finished product :)

Achilles

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Sam-sam

I will! It actually took a while to get the paint job looking that way. I started out with an atomic purple GBC and the paint didn't cover it too well the 1st first so I put a total of 3. I plan on taking out the backlight from my SP soon and soldering the resistors within the next couple of weeks. I'll update when I have a finished product :)

Just so we're all clear, the AGS-001 has a frontlight, not a backlight - the technologies are completely different, and you wouldn't be able to backlight a Game Boy Color.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
once I get a dummy GBA to use and track down an lcd and one of these cable converters im totally up for trying this and if all goes well move the mod into my main GBA

Sam-sam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Achilles

I suppose he's trying to frontlit the GBC or something like that, not backlitting the original GBC screen. Anyway, he will get the same result as on an ags-001, which is not that bad for a GBC!

I've seen some tutorials on fontlitting different GB, so I suppose it will only mean using the GBA SP light font and putting it around the original GBC screen, as the AGS-001 won't probably fit into the GBC and the resolution wouldn't work either =S

Pitty there is no GBC Backlit units to make this mod =/

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
i've tried the backlight gba mod on a 001-AGB unit, the problem is the screen absorbs light and does not reflect as it should on newer models or nds lite screens. (leds were taken off a NDS lite screen, and soldered). We were a bit successful because we managed to replace the backlight plate & reflective paper, to put the "layer" that makes light flow across the screen, and actually let you see anything on screen. (because the 001-AGB screen alone ended up literally eating any kinds of light you'd send). the GBC screen is the same as the 001 gba unit so you'll need to do the same

Sam-sam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Coto

Yes, I've read about this and how you have to peel the screen and stuff the like.

Anyway a GBA Micro screen will fit in a GBC??? Maybe this would be a solution for Jumpman.

jumpman1229

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sam-sam

No, the AGS-001 frontlight fits in the GBC housing perfectly. You just need to shave the inside bezel a little bit, where the LCD is held. I think he is speaking of the GBA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...