Homebrew GB Emulation for Physical Cartridges

Selim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am in progress on my project to convert a DS lite to a "fancy" GBA, which has done before. I am wondering, while I have the console open on my desk, if I remove the bits of plastic preventing GB/GBC cartridges from entering slot 2, is there a GB/GBC emulator that can run from a slot 1 cartridge using the physical cartridge in slot 2?

I doubt this already exists and I'm not sure it would be possible, but I don't know where else to try and find the answer. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Selim,

Selim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this silence doesn't mean anything (especially since it has only been a day), but guessing due to the number of views compared to the number of replies that no one knows of such an emulator.

Selim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, that is what the physical switch inside the GBA changes, but I don't know if the DS can do that itself, guessing not if GBA always did 5V.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am in progress on my project to convert a DS lite to a "fancy" GBA, which has done before.
You mean like a GBA Macro?
1245285701444794260.jpg

Screenshot-3.png

Last edited by ScarletDreamz,

Selim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might end up doing something like that, I was just curious if I could do it using the physical cartridge. Really was just looking for something interesting to do with slot 1 since normal DS games won't work anymore and this was my first thought.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without some kind of external hardware?
No.

With some external hardware... I could see it. Would not be too drastic either -- get the voltage to the right level (should be doable with a boost converter), get a dumper built ( https://hackaday.com/2013/05/17/reading-game-boy-carts-with-i2c/ ), package the dumped game with an emulator and launch accordingly (might have to be the FCSR and a flashme modded DS, with the GBA slot being a quasi flash cart), possibly also a mod of the thing to force it to the single screen (assuming you are not doing a screen swap hack/mod as well). If you want to sort ROMs separately and throw saves around it might be easier still.
Why anybody would really go to those lengths when software emulation is an option I do not know. To each their own though.

Selim

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without some kind of external hardware?
Why anybody would really go to those lengths when software emulation is an option I do not know. To each their own though.
Pretty much just for the aesthetic. You're right though, in this case, certainly not worth the effort.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
GameYob on an R4 card is the best way to play Gameboy on a DS, and there's a 3DS version too that runs just as good. Solid emulator by Drenn.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY