ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I saw references to mystery gift as I was looking through the Crystal dissasembly. Needless to say I had forgotten it when I had started aahahaha. While I don't think the IR port would cause any trouble by itself, I do know that simple pattern searching simply won't be enough to get these patches working on other games. I do see repairing patches for certain R/B/Y romhacks that break the network patches as possible however.
hehe known breaking romhacks are the gen 2 music with sprites and blue to pokemon green patch

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be easier to understand how the wireless transfer works, and possibly enable it from the get go, so it can be accessed anytime, instead of only when talking to the link cable people

Reactions: TheNerdWIzard

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this shouldn't be posted here feel free to remove the link. In the below pastebin are my findings of what may be being modified by the patches using the pokered disassembly as a guide. I'm not 100% sure on everything so take it with a grain of salt. I also skipped over some patches that had to do with link battle as I was most interested in trade and initial connection (to use time capsule in g/s/c).

http://pastebin.com/sQHuv6Gj

I tried to match patterns to see if the offsets could be replaced easily using the pokecrystal dissaembly but got stuck when I got to the link cable fake patches as that is where red and crystal started to differ by a lot. there wasn't a clean equivalent to the cable_club_npc.asm file whihc in red, handles all initial connections to link, that I could match patterns to. It may have been a futile effort but I learned a little bit more in the process so it wasn't a huge waste of time for me.
Isn't it better you should use pokemon yellow instead?

Reactions: XRaidersP

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it would be easier to understand how the wireless transfer works, and possibly enable it from the get go, so it can be accessed anytime, instead of only when talking to the link cable people
nah the link people make it , i wouldnt want tansfer at any time in the game.
Saying that since it only overwrite values and reroutes them into wireless access when you use to link cable service, couldnt you technically just debug another red/blue/yellow rom see if it matche sup the same values in an emulator.

If it does you could find whatever values are required in gold/silver in the rom by debugging its trade function

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nah the link people make it , i wouldnt want tansfer at any time in the game.
Saying that since it only overwrite values and reroutes them into wireless access when you use to link cable service, couldnt you technically just debug another red/blue/yellow rom see if it matche sup the same values in an emulator.

If it does you could find whatever values are required in gold/silver in the rom by debugging its trade function
I mean that the options on the VC be available any time, so you can connect to someone, but you could still only trade/battle at a pokecenter
to expand upon it, the patches check for certain actions based on the gameboy's I/O and other conditions. I'm thourally convinced that porting this to GSC is doable, especially with the crystal disassembly, however I'd say my first concern is still the palette issues. Not many people would want to play G/S in black and white.

Last edited by froggestspirit,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering the ROM Hack is a so-called "151 hack" (catch all pokemon), you could just use the old VC generation method (it's on that iso site).

That and it modifies Pokemon stats and introduces 'mons from later gens. If it didn't break linking it'd really only work with other Red++ injections.

Though things like pressing A to surf/cut/strength and other mods that don't affect save files or Pokemon stats would make sense.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just stoping by to ask if there is any new progress on the color injection on red?
Would really like to play this in color like gold and silver.

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean that the options on the VC be available any time, so you can connect to someone, but you could still only trade/battle at a pokecenter
to expand upon it, the patches check for certain actions based on the gameboy's I/O and other conditions. I'm thourally convinced that porting this to GSC is doable, especially with the crystal disassembly, however I'd say my first concern is still the palette issues. Not many people would want to play G/S in black and white.
Yeah I was doing some simple pattern matching because my skills in asm and reversing are pretty much nonexistent. I hope it didn't sound like it was totally impossible, just not possible using the less than elegant methods I was. There are three patches that deal with the bringing up of the menu it seem link cable fake begin, end and possibly link cable block. I've yet to narrow down which one actually does it.

Would anyone have any guess as to how to figure out what each patch does? I'm still puzzled by mode 2 in particular but am unsure how to tackle discovering the different types purpose. All of the interesting patches seem to use mode 2. We have the code they affect now so I'd like to know if there is a way to see how that code is affected.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sooo miiverse admins only caught onto my vc inject posts today after 7 days almost
they delete all my posts almost
Yet they kept me talking to Pro ELM in gold and also my party with 5 mews and a lvl 6 charmander

Also this post was against TOS aswell

bf761408d88ec444ce839508b119ebb4.png

Reactions: Queno138

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo miiverse admins only caught onto my vc inject posts today after 7 days almost
they delete all my posts almost
Yet they kept me talking to Pro ELM in gold and also my party with 5 mews and a lvl 6 charmander

Also this post was against TOS aswell

bf761408d88ec444ce839508b119ebb4.png

Haha, I knew that would happen xD

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for fun, today I decided to see what would happen if you patched Pokemon Yellow to be a GB-strict ROM, rather than a GBC ROM.
Basically, it's the Gameboy Color emulator, but the game is in the standard, brownish grey monochrome of the Gameboy emulator. You cannot switch the screen to a green color, sadly.

TL;DR The GBC emulator can emulate Gameboy games as well, which is to be expected I guess.
A theory would be that the two are all in one emulator, and that it just picks the overlay and options based on what the ROM seems to be upon boot time. Knowing this, it gives in-sight that the patches are applied to the ROM after the emulator launches, but just a tiny bit before boot. I dunno, just a cool little thing I've observed.

On the subject of Mode2, using Link's Awakening DX's patch as a base, I'm no farther than before. I thought that the Fixcode variable might have been the magic key to all of this, but changing that within the patch does nothing. Perhaps Mode2 was STRICTLY changed just for Pokemon G/R/B/Y? The question would be, "why?"...

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for fun, today I decided to see what would happen if you patched Pokemon Yellow to be a GB-strict ROM, rather than a GBC ROM.
Basically, it's the Gameboy Color emulator, but the game is in the standard, brownish grey monochrome of the Gameboy emulator. You cannot switch the screen to a green color, sadly.

TL;DR The GBC emulator can emulate Gameboy games as well, which is to be expected I guess.
A theory would be that the two are all in one emulator, and that it just picks the overlay and options based on what the ROM seems to be upon boot time. Knowing this, it gives in-sight that the patches are applied to the ROM after the emulator launches, but just a tiny bit before boot. I dunno, just a cool little thing I've observed.

On the subject of Mode2, using Link's Awakening DX's patch as a base, I'm no farther than before. I thought that the Fixcode variable might have been the magic key to all of this, but changing that within the patch does nothing. Perhaps Mode2 was STRICTLY changed just for Pokemon G/R/B/Y? The question would be, "why?"...
It's actually all one emulator. There is just a flag in the yellow rom that makes it load in GBC mode.
To answer the question of why change mode 2, because nintendo only needs that to work. they don't need it to be convienent for hackers (as nice as it would be...)
I'm not sure how we could test mode 2. I think our best bet for answers is disassembling the emulator (I'm guessing it's code.bin, can anyone confirm that?)

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually all one emulator. There is just a flag in the yellow rom that makes it load in GBC mode.
To answer the question of why change mode 2, because nintendo only needs that to work. they don't need it to be convienent for hackers (as nice as it would be...)
I'm not sure how we could test mode 2. I think our best bet for answers is disassembling the emulator (I'm guessing it's code.bin, can anyone confirm that?)
Yep, code.bin contains the emulator itself. The rest is just resources for it to use and read.

Reactions: froggestspirit

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was messing around with red++ today for kicks and I managed to get the matchmaking screen to pop up. The game stops doing much of anything after the link is established however. I tried trading to a retail red as well as a copy of the red++ I was using. Red disconnected right away once getting to the trade of Colosseum selection, which doesn't surprise me. both games had a soft freeze where the music was still playing but no input could be entered when doing a red++ to red++ link. I didn't touch any of the link battle patches due to laziness so either one of them impacts the prompt or red++ is just too different to have the networking work with a simple offset fix. If what I read about red++ is true the internal indexing of the species for even the gen1 Pokemon was changed to compatibility with retail red is likely out of the question to begin with.

IMG_20160304_003002.jpg

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was messing around with red++ today for kicks and I managed to get the matchmaking screen to pop up. The game stops doing much of anything after the link is established however. I tried trading to a retail red as well as a copy of the red++ I was using. Red disconnected right away once getting to the trade of Colosseum selection, which doesn't surprise me. both games had a soft freeze where the music was still playing but no input could be entered when doing a red++ to red++ link. I didn't touch any of the link battle patches due to laziness so either one of them impacts the prompt or red++ is just too different to have the networking work with a simple offset fix. If what I read about red++ is true the internal indexing of the species for even the gen1 Pokemon was changed to compatibility with retail red is likely out of the question to begin with.

View attachment 41231
That's interesting and the next step into success though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol