Hacking Gateway vs. CFW?

Andim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What advantages does Gateway have over the recent card-less exploits? Will CFW ever be able to play games newer than 4.5?

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What advantages does Gateway have over the recent card-less exploits? Will CFW ever be able to play games newer than 4.5?

CFW can't be able to play games that need 7.x+ (exclude some with fw spoofing), 6.x encrypted savedata games (Pokemon series, MH etc).

I have 2 3dses, the normal one is for CFW and the new3ds is still waiting for GW to update their firmware. w GW you can play retail games, .3ds .3dz, emunand 9.x upgradable with encrypted save supported games.

mastermodr94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off topic: what happened to wii modchips? I never had the oppurtunity to indulge in that scene.
Well the wiikey came out... and thats about it because then there was a Homebrew Channel exploit every firmware and it was easier and cheaper to install homebrew usb launchers than buy a piece of hardware that you had to open your wii to install.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Its hard to say, It would be awesome if the scene blew up and 3ds flashcards went the way of wii modchips but no one knows if that will happen.
Hopefully not until the 3DS starts to die down in popularity. Now I'm no upstanding citizen, but I'd rather the 3DS not go the way of the Wii.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well the wiikey came out... and thats about it because then there was a Homebrew Channel exploit every firmware and it was easier and cheaper to install homebrew usb launchers than buy a piece of hardware that you had to open your wii to install.

Nah, it took ages for the homebrew usb loaders to appear. There were a whole bunch of different Wii modchips like the Wiikey, Wiikey 2, Wiikey Fusion IIRC, Wiinja or something, and pretty sure there were more.
Do you think flashcarts will ever be rendered obsolete by CFW advances?

If some devs appear who are willing to polish stuff and release it to the public, probably. But god knows when/if that happens.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
CFW has a couple of other advantages, depending on which you use. The leaked one has memory reading/writing over LAN, NTR CFW has a plugin system and screenshots.
would be worth mentioning NTR CFW only runs roms from a gateway card or retail cards in classic mode as its based on GW FW (just before we get all the WHERE CAN I GET, does pokemanz work etc etc)

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Is the leaked one the palantine one?
Yes, and I try to avoid referring to it as being palantine's/govanify's, since neither of them developed it. It was written by profi200, derrek and yellows8, and even though it was leaked without their permission, I still think it's at least right to credit them properly.
Where do I get/how do I install that NTR one?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/look-this-ntr-cfw.374954/

But like gamesquest1 said, it can't run ROMs without a Gateway card.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes, and I try to avoid referring to it as being palantine's/govanify's, since neither of them developed it. It was written by profi200, derrek and yellows8, and even though it was leaked without their permission, I still think it's at least right to credit them properly.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/look-this-ntr-cfw.374954/

But like gamesquest1 said, it can't run ROMs without a Gateway card.
lol all the "palantine's cfw" and "govanify's cfw" irks me, but i dont think people care for who really made stuff :unsure:....tbh i dont even like that people call it cfw :P its like when people say has the 3ds been jailbroken etc, familiar terms for people i suppose....like a certain site referring to iso's :blink:

anyways don't mind me, maybe im just getting old :lol:

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
familiar terms for people i suppose

Yeah, easier to use a technically wrong term if it communicates the general idea better for someone who isn't better informed :P

I keep hearing the CFW is "buggy". what bugs are present, precisely?

It's buggy because it's unstable when booting. Most times it'll freeze, takes 4-5 average restarts to get it to run successfully. Once it runs, afaik it's essentially bug-free.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol all the "palantine's cfw" and "govanify's cfw" irks me, but i dont think people care for who really made stuff :unsure:....tbh i dont even like that people call it cfw :P its like when people say has the 3ds been jailbroken etc, familiar terms for people i suppose....like a certain site referring to iso's :blink:

anyways don't mind me, maybe im just getting old :lol:
My favorite is when people post something along the lines of the following:

1) So, I just jailbreaked my 3DS by playing Gateway's NDS game!!! Can some1 post a link to Pokemon XY/ORAS and LoZ plz???

2) I have installed Ninjhax, but none of the roms I downloaded appear in the list. What is wrong???

3) Y R their no cheats for Monster Hunter and Mario Kart!!!?!???!!

4) When will we be able to play Gamecube/Wii/PSP/PS2/XBOX????

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night