Hacking Gateway v2.0 Part 2: NAND Emulation

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
While this is an amazing feature, I don't think it will work past 6.3...

All Nintendo has to do is to bring the Wii U firmware update method to the 3DS: Force a power cycle before starting the update.

Since it's Nintendo and considering how slow they are gateway users might still be safe for 1-2 firmware update.

If they do that, then the NAND read/write hardware mod will come in handy.

Reactions: hashcheck1

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway don't work on firmware 5+. So, why it works on 5+ with emu-nand?

Hard to say, the team said they would be trying to get it to work with 6.3 or below, but at this point in time, it's assumed to not work with >4.5

Unless someone can actually provide the very quote that specifically stated they aren't going to work on it....

Gonzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
By "eShop backups," would this mean a legitimately purchased full 3DS game from the eShop (e.g. Pokémon X/Y)? If so, then I don't think I understand how encryption would affect the emuNAND's ability to run that game, if the emuNAND is basically made to be the "console" that purchased that game, so it should theoretically run without issues.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I was under the impression of is that the emuNAND is a 3DS inside of your 3DS (so to speak), and if you wanna update your emuNAND to 6.3, then it should be possible to buy full games from the eShop and play them, as long as your emuNAND remains intact.

There ins another important point! Let's say you currently run an emuNAND with 6.3 and bought a game from the eShop. It will be downloaded to the sd-card and the ticket is stored in emuNAND. So back in the physical NAND with 4.5 the OS checks if every ticket from the sd-card also beeing available in the NAND. Directories with unknown Tickets will bei removed!

Hopefully GW is aware of that problem! A possible solution could be to double the sd-card content and let both NAND and emuNAND exclusive access to its own section...

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There ins another important point! Let's say you currently run an emuNAND with 6.3 and bought a game from the eShop. It will be downloaded to the sd-card and the ticket is stored in emuNAND. So back in the physical NAND with 4.5 the OS checks if every ticket from the sd-card also beeing available in the NAND. Directories with unknown Tickets will bei removed!

Hopefully GW is aware of that problem! A possible solution could be to double the sd-card content and let both NAND and emuNAND exclusive access to its own section...

Hm? I share a SD card between my original 3DS, and XL. None of my content gets erased when I swap between the two or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Reactions: kyogre123

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm? I share a SD card between my original 3DS, and XL. None of my content gets erased when I swap between the two or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Off topic, but every time I see your signature, I instinctively try to swat my monitor.

Reactions: oddMLan

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
can we not reverse the emunanding with an unsigned code (the 3ds runs already codes right? the UI from gateway) and in that way u can downgrade the 3ds (probably isnt it going to work becuase of the lack of an exploit in 5.xx and 6.xx) but maybe...

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Each 3ds has it's own folder under the "Nintendo 3DS" folder that is named with a 16-bit name unique to that particular system. For instance my 3DS file is named "88f4974681793ba550087816c7eb10df"

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well unless they find a way to include users on newer firmware. This is going to alienate alot of users including myself. Hope they can find a way to bring this to everyone else.

Mulder_RLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm curious to see what the heck they are saying about "use SD format tool". My SD card currently has MK7 on it, and I really don't wanna use a new one for GW 2.0. I have GW save games in there, but I think for those ones I can copy them over.

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think the update is coming the last week of october with compatibility for pokemon x because if they can emulate 6.3 with patches they only need to modify somethings of the nand to make it work.

They should make a gateway 3ds catridge restore to install games from the sd of the console to the sd of the red card without computer.

DannyDeLonge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, I'm here to making some Things a little bit clearer....

(Sorry If there are any Grammar-Mistakes or such, cause I'm not a native Speaker ;))

First of all please stop complaining about the missing 5.x-6.x compatibility... If there will be a Solution somewhere in the Future that would be great for a lot of us, otherwise you could easily trade in your updated 3DS for a 4.5 one.

It just works with 4.5 FW at the Moment because the applied Patches/Applications still needing the Kernel-Exploit and after they where loaded, the Nand from the SD-Card will be activated through the Gateway-Menu.

That means => Loading Backups, patched Region-Lock and so on are still active in the Background and the new Nand ist just applied afterwards...

And after they already announced that the SD-Card can normally used even when the Custom-Nand is stored there, you probably would be able to use the E-Shop like a normal user on the newest FW.

Thats just my 0.02$

Gonzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had in mind that someone told it in an other thread, but by now I just found a comment by n1ghty
Code:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/page-12#post-4758631
where he stated that missing tickets are just not shown.

So if they are not deleted, then everything is fine :)

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kind of thing worries me. I'd always be afraid that I'd accidentally mess something up and update the real NAND, at which point the Gateway would be useless. Or alternatively, that Nintendo would create a special update to 7.0 that detects that it's trying to update an emulated NAND and works around that by somehow updating the real one anyway.

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This kind of thing worries me. I'd always be afraid that I'd accidentally mess something up and update the real NAND, at which point the Gateway would be useless. Or alternatively, that Nintendo would create a special update to 7.0 that detects that it's trying to update an emulated NAND and works around that by somehow updating the real one anyway.

It's loading the NAND from the SD so you only need to do that once, after you do it successfully then you shouldn't need to update any more NAND's until new updates are available.

Even if they could detect the emunand, you'd still be on 4.5 anyway so you could enjoy Gateway usage.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

also, you should make a nand backup with the gateway, so if the worst happens and you update the console, you still have a chance to downgrade it.

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
Also if you have the option of doing the hardware nand backup you can backup manually at 4.5 or through gateway and you have a safe backup of exploitable 3ds. I have a interesting issue where i already have a 3DSXL which was on 4.5 and has a 64gb SD Card. I have installed the hardware nand backup and have backups of 4.5 fw and updated to the latest 6.3 fw and can switch between. i use my 6.3(latest) firmware to buy eshop games and have bought quite a few and when i want to use my gateway i backup current 6.3(fw) so i have upto date eshop tickets(games) and all friends list etc and then flash 4.5 backup. I use the same SD card and when on 4.5 my bought games show but say have error on game launch saying i "need to redownload from eshop" my problem is if this new update requires my to update to 6.3 from 4.5 to create EMUNAND of 6.3 i will lose my eshop purchases. I am hoping they release a tool where i can use my existing 6.3(with eshop games) to convert into emunand.
Otherwise only option is to system transfer to another of my 3ds's and then run gateway process and transfer back.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering paying someone with some soldering skills to install the NAND dump/flash mod for me... Don't trust myself to not accidentally update somehow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Normal sandwich bread is actually pretty good for sausage depends on length of course