Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it will boot into emulated NAND automatically when you go to boot Gateway mode. 6.3 doesn't have an exploit yet so booting into it won't allow you to use Gateway to play roms anymore. They will still require you to boot from emulated NAND once you activate the Gateway exploit so that you have the option of remaining on real NAND to play your roms/non legit copies of games. :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you know they aren't looking? Do you expect them just to keep silent or ignore current users, while they look for a new exploit?

I'm sure they want your money, but it's not like they can just whip up a brand new exploit. The way people carry on you would think gateway have a >4.5 exploit ready to go and are just being dicks and holding on it.

Well, I don't know for sure, but I have to admit that peoples' pessimism gets the best of me, many people on the other thread are being skeptical and yeah, peer pressure and all that crap. All we can do is wait, but right now, I sure as hell aren't in a financial position to get a new console.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok for all the newbs and people out there who don't understand what this means........I claim to be no expert, but uh have been around the scene for a long time and seen a lot of stuff...

This is essentially a shadow BIOS or NAND just like what the old pheonix loader on the 1st xbox did. What they have done is quite significant in that they are giving you dual NANDS buy putting the second one on the SD card. In many ways the shadow updated bios works like freeboot on a jtagged x360 or CFW 4.x on a PS3. They are still using the expliotable boot loader portion of the 4.5 firmware but 'pasting' the rest of the newer firmware on the explioted boot loader.

This is fricking brilliant and I in these forums have said several times this would be possible but in my wildest imagination didn't believe they would do it so quickly. So when you are 'rebooted' into 6.x you are on a 6.x with full kernel exploits in place. Meaning this is a sustainable path forward and while Nintendo may try throwing some things into 7.x to defeat this method it will be damned near impossible to do (just like ps3 and x360 with CFW). Most AP schemes they build into the firmware to work with games will be pretty useless as your 3DS will have those firmware's AP features. As long as gateway continues to use 'raw' un altered roms it is going to be hard for the firmware to really 'know' that it isn't a legitimate game so the AP schemes used in the past on GBA and DS wouldn't really work in this instance....

So when you are in the shadow firmware you will have the gateway cartridge patch, region free, and save patching all in place. The only remaining problem they have to overcome for game compatibility is Nand saving...which they can do...what they have to do is find a way to do the catridge Nand saving/loading thru emulation to the SD card....which I am sure they are working on. If a game like AC or Pokemon means that much to you then hell just buy the eshop version and run that as they natively use SD card saves and problem solved. It is in the interest of Gateway to work out direct game save/load to SD anyways as we are likely to see different eeproms or nands used in the future (just like GBA and DS did) so working that out will give them a path to solve all future game save problems. The save regions on catridges are just memory locations and essentially what they need to do is remap those memory locations thru kernel hack to read and write to the sd card.

Look people this product has already surpassed all expectations and this is truly an 'evolution'. People have said it and it is true....they may never find a kernel exploit after 4.5....they are not common as they are generally errors or oversites by the firmware coding team. I would say if you want to get on the Gateway train you better get on it soon. There are still 4.5 units to be had new and in the US atleast there are so many retailers with liberal return policies that you can easily find one. Try places like Target or Miejer that don't move crazy ammounts of stock. Ask to look at the box and act like you don't know what color you want and then if it says 2012 it will have 4.4 or 4.5. They won't last, I would say by xmas you won't find 4.5 3DS new. Hell I am thinking of going out and buying about 10 of them tomorrow so that after they all dry up I can sell them NIB for big money on ebay early next year.

youra6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look people this product has already surpassed all expectations and this is truly an 'evolution'. People have said it and it is true....they may never find a kernel exploit after 4.5....they are not common as they are generally errors or oversites by the firmware coding team. I would say if you want to get on the Gateway train you better get on it soon. There are still 4.5 units to be had new and in the US atleast there are so many retailers with liberal return policies that you can easily find one. Try places like Target or Miejer that don't move crazy ammounts of stock. Ask to look at the box and act like you don't know what color you want and then if it says 2012 it will have 4.4 or 4.5. They won't last, I would say by xmas you won't find 4.5 3DS new. Hell I am thinking of going out and buying about 10 of them tomorrow so that after they all dry up I can sell them NIB for big money on ebay early next year.

This post convinced me to buy the Gateway.

Reactions: Saxer

Askedforthis

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
still no boot homebrew? come on...

Reason being that they actually need to make libraries for developers to use. Making homebrew using the official 3DS SDK would be illegal as all hell, so a free and non-Nintendo affiliated SDK would need to be developed for the 3DS which probably is work in progress somewhere in the world. The homebrew devs needs some documentation and libraries, and I doubt Gateway are the ones who are willing to use the immense amount of time required to create it, as they have more pressing matters on their hands.

mystril

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Agreed. Get a v4.5 3DS XL before it runs out after Shopping Season. Chances are the compatibility for >4.5 may be delayed. Why take the risk?

liban100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. Get a v4.5 3DS XL before it runs out after Shopping Season. Chances are the compatibility for >4.5 may be delayed. Why take the risk?

Gonna sell my black 3DS on 4.5 on ebay soon to get a 3DS XL* with 4.5 or lower. Hopefully I can find one with 4.5 :P

glass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, let me understand: when we have the 2.0 update is it safe enough to update to latest fw or still better to wait for a possible "stronger" exploit (smealum's cfw ?) exclusive to fw 4.5? Or it's useless to wait because you still have a 4.5 backup on the SD that you can use whenever you want?
Also if i'm correct, this means people can buy a legitimate Pokemon X/Y and play it in normal mode, then can return to fw 4.5 for other things ...

P.S. some people still complain no fw 5 & 6 support. While you are seeing they are doing almost everything for the current one with appearent easiness, you must accept that finding a new exploit on higher firmwares is a total different thing, much more difficult (and luck-dependent).

BladeTH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I don't understand.
1. Install Gateway 3DS on 4.5 3DS.
2. Make a NAND backup.
3. Put NAND backup on SD card.
Fourth step is to update to 6.3?

Site & Scene News