Hacking Gateway Team is working on AGB_FIRM

Krupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds like the dreamcast :) devs release game discs for money (those greedy devs, them), hackers discover you can burn it to a disc for free, Everyone burns discs, and those greedy devs are out of buisness! :P
And later on it turned out you don't really need a boot disc but can make the games selfboot :)

D

Deleted User

The problem with the reasoning "what good is Gateway when we have all this other stuff" is that the other stuff is a direct copy of Gateway's work by Reverse Engineering Gateway's payloads.

Fixed that for you, and I agree completely with your post.

So essentially: "What good is Gateway when we copied all their work and released it for free"
The answer is simple: They will stop providing new work and we will be stuck if Nintendo pulls a fast one with new encryption keys and firmware updates.

EDIT: They already did this for New 3DS, and the only ones that are (were, since they maybe stopped?) working on it is Gateway

Reactions: Melon__Bread

Krupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
but you were able to make the bootdisc yourself! Also, some games alway needed the boot disc, like a lot of the homebrew.
Yes I know, but using the bootdisc, free or not, was very annoying. Disc swapping is always annoying :P But I think most homebrew, at least the popular ones, can be found with selfboot today. If not, you can make one yourself before you burn it using one of many selfboot kits. Either way, those greedy assholes have always been like leeches to the scene.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know, but using the bootdisc, free or not, was very annoying. Disc swapping is always annoying :P But I think most homebrew, at least the popular ones, can be found with selfboot today. If not, you can make one yourself before you burn it using one of many selfboot kits. Either way, those greedy assholes have always been like leeches to the scene.
i can agree with this.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hope GW will patch AGB-FIRM in a way that allows for it to go back to emunand after closing it. If that isn't the case I'll keep using other sig patches until it is possible as there is literally no benefit if it returns to sysNAND afterwards.

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hope GW will patch AGB-FIRM in a way that allows for it to go back to emunand after closing it. If that isn't the case I'll keep using other sig patches until it is possible as there is literally no benefit if it returns to sysNAND afterwards.
#impossible

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hacker that sell his work is not a true hacker, he's a sellout. Hopefully GW team, Sky3d team and all those greedy f*ckers will be done. They haven't done anything for the scene but to postpone it, all just for money.

It's always the same old story. Hackers discovers an exploit, they turn greedy and sell it as expensive hardware. A noble hacker then discovers the same or another exploit, releases a softmod, whereas the greedy hardware hackers are out of business until there's a new device to hack, and you can pretty much repeat the story over and over again.
Wow, this entire post is poisonous thinking at its finest.

1. Hackers sell their work ALL the time, be they white or black hat. There's no 10 commandments of hacking forbidding you to make money off your craft. Even companies like Facebook and apple pay customers for finding exploits.
  2. Did you seriously say they postponed it? Who have they stopped? A good chunk of the scene, about 60%, is due to their work (25% smea and 15% other being they rest of the scene).
  3. Hackers don't just "turn greedy". In case you've forgotten, this is their actual job. This isn't a side hobby they do on the weekends between cleaning out the garage and watching football. They provide a product and a service, why shouldn't they profit? Saying they are greedy is like saying the mechanic who fixed your car is greedy because not everyone knows how to fix engines so he should do it for free. If your good at something, never do it for free. Free hacks are done by people who are casually hacking the 3ds.
  4. Lol at "noble hackers". Just because some people release some stuff for free doesn't mean they're honorable and kiss digital babies, unless you consider @GovanifY the 3DS Robin Hood but I'm pretty sure @ernilos and @st4rk would disagree.

Last edited by Vengenceonu, , Reason: spelling and grammar

Krupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this entire post is poisonous thinking at its finest.

1. Hackers sell their work ALL the time, be they white or black hat. There's no 10 commandments of hacking forbidding you to make money off your craft. Even companies like Facebook and apple pay customers for finding exploits.
  2. Did you seriously say they postponed it? Who have they stopped? A good chunk of the scene, about 60%, is due to their work (25% smea and 15% other being they rest of the scene).
  3. Hackers don't just "turn greedy". In case you've forgotten, this is their actual job. This isn't a side hobby they do on the weekends between cleaning out the garage and watching football. They provide a product and a service, why shouldn't they profit? Saying they are greedy is like saying the mechanic who fixed your car is greedy because not everyone knows how to fix engines so he should do it for free. If your good at something, never do it for free. Free hacks are done by people who are casually hacking the 3ds.
  4. Lol at "noble hackers". Just because some people release some stuff for free doesn't mean they're honorable and kiss digital babies, unless you consider @GovanifY the 3DS Robin Hood but I'm pretty sure @ernilos and @st4rk would disagree.
No, not all hacker sell their work. And no, hackers usually have actual jobs, most of the time as a programmer. Or do you honestly think that a bunch of unemployed nobodies could break a heavily locked system all by themselves? Not a chance. These guys all have jobs. Well-paid jobs too. Now, the ones you call "casual hackers", the ones that give their work for free, they have a higher chance of being unemployed. And yes, selling a hack instead of sharing it as open source postpone the entire scene from moving forward. The fact is, if no one in the world shared their code whatsoever, we would probably still be where we were in the 80s or 90s, the guys who're behind flash cards like GW, Sky 3DS etc wouldn't have learned how to do it in the first place. But thanks to all the people that share their work, the IT industry, and society as a whole, have managed to come a very long way.

And no, all this is not the same as saying that the mechanic who fixed my car is greedy. He's not exactly sitting on a secret. He learned to fix his car via sharing. Someone taught him how to fix the car. There are thousands of manuals available, both online and in libraries, all for free, on how to fix a car. But there's not a single manual on how to hack the 3DS, because greedy hackers want to have it all to themselves. Asking a mechanic to fix my car would be more the same as to ask someone to flash my 3DS in exchange for money.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not all hacker sell their work. And no, hackers usually have actual jobs, most of the time as a programmer. Or do you honestly think that a bunch of unemployed nobodies could break a heavily locked system all by themselves? Not a chance. These guys all have jobs. Well-paid jobs too. Now, the ones you call "casual hackers", the ones that give their work for free, they have a higher chance of being unemployed. And yes, selling a hack instead of sharing it as open source postpone the entire scene from moving forward. The fact is, if no one in the world shared their code whatsoever, we would probably still be where we were in the 80s or 90s, the guys who're behind flash cards like GW, Sky 3DS etc wouldn't have learned how to do it in the first place. But thanks to all the people that share their work, the IT industry, and society as a whole, have managed to come a very long way.

And no, all this is not the same as saying that the mechanic who fixed my car is greedy. He's not exactly sitting on a secret. He learned to fix his car via sharing. Someone taught him how to fix the car. There are thousands of manuals available, both online and in libraries, all for free, on how to fix a car. But there's not a single manual on how to hack the 3DS, because greedy hackers want to have it all to themselves. Asking a mechanic to fix my car would be more the same as to ask someone to flash my 3DS in exchange for money.
and if people really want a flashed 3DS, they will pay.

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Now that free CFWs are popping here and there, they wouldn't be generating new sales now, the only ones who are waiting for their updates are the people who bought their cards.

Unless GW makes a new, awesome feature that will make new customers buy their card, they'll be out of business soon.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

and nobody is stopping others hacking the 3DS themselves, its still like going to a garage and saying "yeah you did a 5 year course to learn this stuff, but i don't want to pay you, so instead of you doing it, you give me step by step instructions how to do it myself and give me access to all your tools so you don't get anything back for your time invested in learning your trade"........i doubt many mechanics would give you instructions on how to do the work yourself, and i doubt any of them would give you free reign on all their equipment

but does all this stifle the "scene".....i doubt it, look at the vita and wiiu....no piracy dongle there, and what do people have to show for it? a modded vwii, and some proof of concept homebrew....truth is that there being money to be made GREATLY increases the pace of homebrew and hacking development on a console, yeah sometimes peace and love might work, but most of the time its all about the money

Last edited by gamesquest1,
D

Deleted User

.. And yes, selling a hack instead of sharing it as open source postpone the entire scene from moving forward.

Gateway would never have released their exploits / ventured into 3DS if they didn't think there was a profit to be made, and this would mean 3DS scene would be just like the Vita scene. By entering the 3DS scene they progressed the 3DS scene by atleast 2 years. To claim they postponed it is ludicrous :wacko:

and nobody is stopping others hacking the 3DS themselves, its still like going to a garage and saying "yeah you did a 5 year course to learn this stuff, but i don't want to pay you, so instead of you doing it, you give me step by step instructions how to do it myself and give me access to all your tools so you don't get anything back for your time invested in learning your trade"........i doubt many mechanics would give you instructions on how to do the work yourself, and i doubt any of them would give you free reign on all their equipment

Not to mention the equipment for communicating with the digital components of most modern cars are using secret encryption keys only known by the car's manufacturers (and their authorised mechanics), which a 'regular' person would never have access to.

Where have I seen this before? Oh right.. on 3DS!

Reactions: porkiewpyne

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the equipment for communicating with the digital components of most modern cars are using secret encryption keys only known by the car's manufacturers (and their authorised mechanics), which a 'regular' person would never have access to.

Where have I seen this before? Oh right.. on 3DS!
shhh... he can't comprehend our 'real world examples'

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does every thread have to get GW haters chiming in on it? Is your life that miserable that you have to be a dork about it?

For the record I am NOT selling my GW, CN or OOT because they are still useful and we do not know what the future holds. And from the short sightedness of a few peoples post, you have no concept of what is beyond today.

For Example, people used CN to install the homebrew thingy, then said, "I don't need my CN anymore" sold it, then bitched about having to buy it again when the other exploits using CN came out. That is being short sighted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?