Hacking Gateway Team is working on AGB_FIRM

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, rxtools with signing patch allows you to run SSB3DS and be able to load it via MSET exploit? Last I read that rxtools patched signature check with SSB3DS capability kills MSET. I know Gateway allows loading via MSET and allows you to play SSB3DS to boot. I prefer the MSET loading method as I am hardly online with the O3DS.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These free tools were copied from gateway, almost everything that we're using now was discovered by gateway team. At least show some respect for the real hackers who made this possible.
umm... i thinkyou got it a little backwards... yes, the current CFW's copied gateway in a way, but gateway didint do the work with discovering the hacks. Smealum discovered ninjhax, i think it was yellows8 or smealum who found spiderhax, same with MSET. gateway just made a ROP leader, a launcher and the Gateway menu where you select .3ds games.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
fun*ish* fact....ok not fun at all.....BUT, there is some things that dont seem to work when converting a game to CIA, now granted this example is pretty weird, but the names of your team members dont work on beyond the labyrinth if played as .cia, but work perfectly fine as .3DS on gateway....again not a major issue, but it proves ye ol' cia format aint infallible

not to mention that the release of these "free" CFW's came at a price, seeing as all the free options where simply either ripped off from other peoples work or simple copy pasta jobs from pastebin these developments have lead real dev's who have real skill away from the scene leaving nothing else for people to copy and paste from.....lets just say something comes along in FW 10.x that kills off the compatibility for these solutions who will be left to work on a solution? roxas *seems* to of abandoned his work which was the best free solution to stay on a compatible FW for homebrew but still have eshop access and latest game compatibility (though no piracy).....and as you said gateway are probably thinking twice about bothering continuing work on the 3DS (whats the point if people will just copy it and give it away for free).....and we all know the other elite dev's have no intention of releasing any usable...........soooo i think everyone had best hope nintendo don't pull a fast one and we all have to be stuck with what we have or update to play newer games....that or some proper dev's who are capable of actually coming up with new solutions rather than copying already done stuff to arrive and continue where the previous guys left off

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fun*ish* fact....ok not fun at all.....BUT, there is some things that dont seem to work when converting a game to CIA, now granted this example is pretty weird, but the names of your team members dont work on beyond the labyrinth if played as .cia, but work perfectly fine as .3DS on gateway....again not a major issue, but it proves ye ol' cia format aint infallible

not to mention that the release of these "free" CFW's came at a price, seeing as all the free options where simply either ripped off from other peoples work or simple copy pasta jobs from pastebin these developments have lead real dev's who have real skill away from the scene leaving nothing else for people to copy and paste from.....lets just say something comes along in FW 10.x that kills off the compatibility for these solutions who will be left to work on a solution? roxas *seems* to of abandoned his work which was the best free solution to stay on a compatible FW for homebrew but still have eshop access and latest game compatibility (though no piracy).....and as you said gateway are probably thinking twice about bothering continuing work on the 3DS (whats the point if people will just copy it and give it away for free).....and we all know the other elite dev's have no intention of releasing any usable...........soooo i think everyone had best hope nintendo don't pull a fast one and we all have to be stuck with what we have or update to play newer games....that or some proper dev's who are capable of actually coming up with new solutions rather than copying already done stuff to arrive and continue where the previous guys left off
sounds like its time for gateway brick code 2.0!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sounds like its time for gateway brick code 2.0!
*2.0b2 :P

but nope i guess gateway will probably stick around for a little while and see if nintendo throw all the current stuff out the window, but imho i doubt we will be seeing too much more in terms of 9.3+ hacks as i doubt gateway will be throwing money at the problem as its now more *risky* and they may not be able to guarentee their return on any money they throw at the problem

lets face it even the top teir hackers deemed that 7.x encryption was the end of the road and gateway got past that......same top teir guys claimed 4.x was the end of the road for full on system hacks, truth is money is needed sometimes for more in depth hacks that the normal hobby dev's wouldnt be able to fund, and even the crowd funding decapp ended up a big con

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I really don't see the point of making excuses or fanboying for Gateway.

It's a fact, the latest emunand has been released really fast for the O3DS.

They have been slow to release anything users want for the last 6 months,

Can you show me a flashcart company doing a better job at the moment ? It takes sky3ds a few days to update their template file...
They're working with a 2 years old flashcart, and are not switching cards every 2 months like Sky3DS, so maybe slow, but the only ones that are more commited to please their old customers, rather than hurry up and release a new product (which by the way would still sell).

and they're asking $80 and another card to carry around

80$ ? I got mine for 55$ including shipping, only lazy people pay that much.

You no longer have to carry another card around anymore, but you need at least a CN/OOT for a one-time installation.

when free tools will do more.

Will do ? People have been saying that since the release of Gateway 3 years ago, some people are even proud of the fact that they waited so long when free methods (that require CN) that let you run games finally showed up, when Nintendo is already planning to announce about their next handheld at E3 2016.

Any free methods available right now still require CN.

Last edited by Ra1d,

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

but nope i guess gateway will probably stick around for a little while and see if nintendo throw all the current stuff out the window, but imho i doubt we will be seeing too much more in terms of 9.3+ hacks as i doubt gateway will be throwing money at the problem as its now more *risky* and they may not be able to guarentee their return on any money they throw at the problem
I hope they stay, i payed the money for their card. Also, their fate is mostly determined by like Yellows8 and Smealum. Have they been around?

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did roxas really abandon rxTools?
was it because of the unsigned cia thing

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I hate flashcart much as the next hater... but truth be told, without gateway we would be in the same stage as Vita, and just got native exploit... _JUST_

99.9% would have been on 4.5 plus..

oh play CIA files.. that would have been when NX was released and Wii U dead.

as for AGB_FIRM... thank god, ive beening trying for the last two days to get GBA games to work with no luck.

Last edited by Flame,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Did roxas really abandon rxTools?
was it because of the unsigned cia thing
nobody knows, a few people said he has but no official word on it afaik, maybe he is just taking a break after his exams, but he has been quiet for a while now, and i wouldn't blame him tbh, pretty crappy to release his work without even giving him any notice about it
I hate flashcart much as the next hater... but truth be told, without gateway we would be in the same stage as Vita, and just got native exploit... _JUST_
yeah, money makes the world go round....without money new system hacks will get rarer and rarer......i wouldnt mind coughing up for a wiiu hack, gateway is just what the wiiu/vita need,

a team who arent just doing it as a spare time thing and have the money to put into it as an investment leads to much more progress than hobbyists (no offense to the hobbyists i know they do their best :) )

loco365

Trophies
XP
I never said they did nothing for the scene, I just pointed out that owning a Gateway is now almost completely redundant for O3DS and 2DS users.
I have to completely agree with @Smiths as to how the .3DS file format is much more convenient. Importing CIAs takes for-fucking-ever if the game is over 100MB, so being able to slap games on a MicroSD and go is much nicer. However, O3DS and 2DS users that don't own a Gateway now at least have options, whereas before the ONLY option was a Gateway, even if it was for legitimate uses (Such as backups or homebrew, and if you want to say it's legitimate, Virtual Console injections as well).

If I was faced with the option to keep or sell my Gateway, I'd keep it, personally. While CIA files are nice, they're inconvenient in having to install them, which is the appeal of Gateway (And Sky3DS I suppose).

As for the Gateway team working on AGB_FIRM support, they've been working on support for all sorts of things for ages. I wouldn't take their word on anything sent via eMail, as the trademark SOON™ really does come into play there. Unless it's mentioned at the time of a release, I wouldn't bet on it being released any time soon unless some kind of major development arises.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
nobody knows, a few people said he has but no official word on it afaik, maybe he is just taking a break after his exams, but he has been quiet for a while now, and i wouldn't blame him tbh, pretty crappy to release his work without even giving him any notice about it

I'm fairly sure he's going to keep working on it, because he made posts in the RXTools thread today about being interested in collaborating with some of the other CFW devs and such..

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm fairly sure he's going to keep working on it, because he made posts in the RXTools thread today about being interested in collaborating with some of the other CFW devs and such..
...ahhh cool i will have to check it out, guess he was just taking a break or just calmed down after having his work modded without his permission......either way i guess if he is onboard things might not be too bad (still not as good as having guys with money to throw at roadblocks though :P)

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
And mset This was found by ItchFly (A.K.A. DarkFader)/spider This was found by MathewE/oot This was found by Yellows8 exploits were discovered by gateway.
Ok, I was wrong about mset and spider. Got any proof about zelda one though? Iirc first working public version was released by gateway.
And there is still a question about keys for new games and the overall ROP loader and emunand/downgrading/games loading stuff which was only released by gateway, even if we got some concept videos by KARL and other teams.

Overall this is simple - only gateway have the knowledge, skills and ahem, moral grounds to release everything piracy-related on 3ds. Others are copying from them or not releasing anything like KARL/yellows8. And personally I don't want such team to stop their work, at least not until there is no more new releases on 3ds.

EDIT: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Userland_Flaws so supposely yellows8 discovered that exploit in 2012 but didn't want to release any info about it. Its kinda hard to verify that he did discover it in 2012 and anyway that just proves that we need gateway to implement such exploits and not just sit on them for eternity :)

Last edited by nccom,

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I was wrong about mset and spider. Got any proof about zelda one though? Iirc first working public version was released by gateway.
And there is still a question about keys for new games and the overall ROP loader and emunand/downgrading/games loading stuff which was only released by gateway, even if we got some concept videos by KARL and other teams.

Overall this is simple - only gateway have the knowledge, skills and ahem, moral grounds to release everything piracy-related on 3ds. Others are copying from them or not releasing anything like KARL/yellows8. And personally I don't want such team to stop their work, at least not until there is no more new releases on 3ds.
i dont know about emuNAND, i dont think it was gateway, but i am unsure. Downgrading, i think was them, but i need to check. I am with gateway, but they didint do anything close to all the work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

just sent this to gateway in an email:
upload_2015-6-23_15-9-6.png

i want to see their reply!

Last edited by CIAwesome526,

Krupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
These free tools were copied from gateway, almost everything that we're using now was discovered by gateway team. At least show some respect for the real hackers who made this possible.
A hacker that sell his work is not a true hacker, he's a sellout. Hopefully GW team, Sky3d team and all those greedy f*ckers will be done. They haven't done anything for the scene but to postpone it, all just for money.

It's always the same old story. Hackers discovers an exploit, they turn greedy and sell it as expensive hardware. A noble hacker then discovers the same or another exploit, releases a softmod, whereas the greedy hardware hackers are out of business until there's a new device to hack, and you can pretty much repeat the story over and over again.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the reasoning "what good is Gateway when we have all this other stuff" is that the other stuff all came out much later, because most 3DS hackers cripple their releases in order to "prevent piracy", and the other stuff ends up being mostly useless until a non-scene person eventually figures out how to uncripple the hacks. For all Gateway's flaws, they produced, early on, something that you could get and use.

I also suspect that without Gateway, we wouldn't have seen even the crippled releases that we saw. Without Gateway, we probably would be in the same situation that the DSi is in now: there are things you just cannot do, and may never be able to do.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hacker that sell his work is not a true hacker, he's a sellout. Hopefully GW team, Sky3d team and all those greedy f*ckers will be done. They haven't done anything for the scene but to postpone it, all just for money.

It's always the same old story. Hackers discovers an exploit, they turn greedy and sell it as expensive hardware. A noble hacker then discovers the same or another exploit, releases a softmod, whereas the greedy hardware hackers are out of business until there's a new device to hack, and you can pretty much repeat the story over and over again.
sounds like the dreamcast :) devs release game discs for money (those greedy devs, them), hackers discover you can burn it to a disc for free(and they didnt ask you to pay to use their discovery), Everyone burns discs, and those greedy devs are out of business! :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse