Hacking Gateway or Sky3ds?

mightywii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know where, but ive read that they use the leaked 9.x official codes to initiate signed code. Thats how the 3DS thinks it has a OEM card inside. Since this is pure speculation, all they have to do is to change their codes in the next firmware version (10.x) and Sky3ds gets blocked. I mean it sounds pretty easy, so maybe that why "they" consider it an easy patch.
Your thinking of the 7.x keyx leak. It's used for decrypting roms for use in emulators or extracting resources. It can also be used for modifying roms if the sig checks are patched on the 3ds. Gateway has had that key for a while, since omega 2.3b.

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, can we stop the bs now, gateway is gone and dusted for the future and for the new 3ds unless you want to wait a long long time.

Quote "If you are wondering what native support we will bring for lower than sysnand 9.0, we can tell that after 9.0-9.2 we will start with 8.0-8.1 and gradually work our way down with support for even lower sysnand firmware versions."

Read between the lines people, we have waited for a long time (for some) for 9-9.2 and they said "will start", look they said start, not working on "8.0-8.1 and gradually work our way down with support for even lower sysnand firmware versions".

Most people want games and tell them the truth, fuck your opinion of either of the two money grubbers. If you want to play backups (legit owned backups of course lol) get a unrestricted sky. The worst of worst fall back for them is 1 game per card (which Nintendo can't block, they will block the new sky very soon, mark my word) which we had with gateway from the start before multirom. I told you so, i told you i work with this and no one listens. Oh well, enjoy.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gateway support for firmware 9.0 - 9.2 is still far away, or else they wouldn't have released the new software just for emunand 9.4. So I guess I will get a Sky3DS for the time being. Will keep my firmware on 9.0, since I do not want to play online and no game requires a firmware of 9x at the moment. This way I can actually enjoy my new Nintendo 3ds instead of just staring at it for another x-months.

And who knows maybe I will get a Gateway in the future if it is needed. For the time being I can (actually) play all the games I want (at least 15) on my new Nintendo 3DS.

Reactions: SLiV3R

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well, can we stop the bs now, gateway is gone and dusted for the future and for the new 3ds unless you want to wait a long long time.

Quote "If you are wondering what native support we will bring for lower than sysnand 9.0, we can tell that after 9.0-9.2 we will start with 8.0-8.1 and gradually work our way down with support for even lower sysnand firmware versions."

Read between the lines people, we have waited for a long time (for some) for 9-9.2 and they said "will start", look they said start, not working on "8.0-8.1 and gradually work our way down with support for even lower sysnand firmware versions".

Most people want games and tell them the truth, fuck your opinion of either of the two money grubbers. If you want to play backups (legit owned backups of course lol) get a unrestricted sky. The worst of worst fall back for them is 1 game per card (which Nintendo can't block, they will block the new sky very soon, mark my word) which we had with gateway from the start before multirom. I told you so, i told you i work with this and no one listens. Oh well, enjoy.
"Well, can we stop the bs now" *proceeds to spout his own BS*

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sky3DS:
+ Good card for one game at a time.
+ no FW restriction up to this day.
- 10 games limite (fu..g first batch of customers is not right)
- How long will it last?

Gateway:
+ Tones of features (Emunand,CIA..and what not)
+ firmware extensive support
- FW limitation (despite the fact that emunand compensate that, not anybody has a 4.5 or a 9.2 3DS)
- minimal communication skills

Here's a more objective version:

Sky3DS
Support 3ds firmware 9.0 and beyond.
Rom requires DiskWriter to write to a microSD card.
Use a physical button on the flashcart to scroll through games.
Has not been blocked so far. (Already two 3ds firmware hasn't able to block it.)

Features on release:
- Support 3ds roms, e-shop 3ds roms
- 10 game limit per Sky3DS
- Has region lock
- Has online support

New features till now:
- Removed 10 game limit for Sky3DS revision 1 with some tweaking (revision 2 has no game limit on release).

Gateway3DS
Support 3ds firmware 4.0 - 4.5 (future release might also support 3ds firmware 9.0-9.2.)
Requires an emulated NAND. (Need to setup an emulated NAND first, most things that is done in an emulated NAND has no impact on the real 3ds NAND.)
Roms can be dragged right away to a microSD card.
Use 3ds select button to show a menu for game selection.
Has been blocked each time a new 3ds firmware is released. (Gateway has provided fix each time.)

Has announced to support 3ds firmware 6.2 and beyond in the future(No firmware 6.2 support so far and has moved on to 3ds firmware 9.0-9.2)
Features on release:
- Support 3ds roms (except for roms with save type as card 2)
- 1 game per SD card.
- Disabled online support

New features till now:
- Requires emuNAND
- Support e-shop 3ds roms
- Enable online support
- No more 1 game limit per SD card.
- Removed region lock

3DS Firmware 4.0-4.5
- requires redNAND
- Support .cia files
- Support homebrew

Reactions: Phantom_User

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Here's a more objective version:

Sky3DS
Support 3ds firmware 9.0 and beyond.
Rom requires DiskWriter to write to a microSD card.
Use a physical button on the flashcart to scroll through games.
Has not been blocked so far. (Already two 3ds firmware hasn't able to block it.)
Features on release:
- Support 3ds roms, e-shop 3ds roms
- 10 game limit per Sky3DS
- Has region lock
- Has online support
New features till now:
- Removed 10 game limit for Sky3DS revision 1 with some tweaking (revision 2 has no game limit on release).
no it doesnt support eshop roms, thats just text on their site either to try confuse people.....or idk BS, basically it supports eshop games if you buy them from the shop (i.e your console can use eshop, nothing to do with sky3ds), whereas gateway actually supports eshop dumps/roms

tbh i don't think you can make a 100% noob friendly and clear explanation unless you write a big ott post about every little detail and fully explain exactly what that means rather than bullet points......and then most people wouldn't read it anyway, they love bullet points, but imho bullet points ofter end up in confusion like above

best advise would be, if you impatient or on 9.3/9.4 go sky3ds, if your in no real rush and your on 9.2 or lower....just WAIT!.......if you wait you get to make a informed decision, you will know if sky3ds gets blocked in the next major update, and you will be able to see how well gateway support 9.2 and lower i.e if they have emunand and keep the updates flowing

mightywii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS does not "emulate" a game cart, I don't know where you guys keep getting that from. It uses an exploit that will almost certainly patched this update cycle. You'll have all the 3DS games up to a little more than 6 months from now, but that's it.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS does not "emulate" a game cart, I don't know where you guys keep getting that from. It uses an exploit that will almost certainly patched this update cycle. You'll have all the 3DS games up to a little more than 6 months from now, but that's it.

The speculation about this however, is that if Nintendo patches said exploit, then how will previous retail carts that use the same signing to the console work?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The speculation about this however, is that if Nintendo patches said exploit, then how will previous retail carts that use the same signing to the console work?
lets look at it either way,
direct emulation:- now in this situation there is a few different ways to go about detecting it, such as differences in timing(be it loading or responding to commands), checking the save chip is one that they have used, no emulation is ever 100% perfect, its just a matter of nintendo detecting these inconsistencies and creating a block based on these inconsistencies.
some sort of exploit:- fix it end of

now direct emulation is actually the best way they could be going as if/when nintendo block it there still stands the potential for them to refine their code etc to better emulate the card more accuratly(but releasing revisions already suggests this would only be done via yet another revision rather than a update).....but it would probably still come down to a game of cat and mouse if nintendo cant 100% lock it down.

in terms of "if Nintendo patches said exploit, then how will previous retail carts that use the same signing to the console work?"....real games wouldn't be using an "exploit" to work so there wouldnt be any issues if they fix an exploit

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Emulation until proven to be an exploit.

Reactions: da1e85

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in terms of "if Nintendo patches said exploit, then how will previous retail carts that use the same signing to the console work?"....real games wouldn't be using an "exploit" to work so there wouldnt be any issues if they fix an exploit

I suppose I used the wrong wording then. If it is not an exploit, and it is emulating a cart, Nintendo would have to "patch" all previous carts to end the Sky3DS market. We simply don't have enough information on how Sky3DS works however, so this will be up for debate for quite some time still.

I'm not taking sides either, I see pros/cons on both carts but chose GW since it's been around for quite some time.

Reactions: Arithmatics

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I suppose I used the wrong wording then. If it is not an exploit, and it is emulating a cart, Nintendo would have to "patch" all previous carts to end the Sky3DS market. We simply don't have enough information on how Sky3DS works however, so this will be up for debate for quite some time still.

I'm not taking sides either, I see pros/cons on both carts but chose GW since it's been around for quite some time.
see the post you quoted, blocking cart emulation is possible without having to go patch every game produced (which wouldn't even really be possible)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Mighty interesting .. Any speculation on wether how long it'll take for Nintendo to pick up said exploit?
It was said that it's really easy to block, in just a couple lines of code.

Because Sky3DS isn't full 1:1 emulation of cartridge communication they would just have to add a check for something the Sky3DS doesn't emulate correctly.
They could make it have 1:1 emulation if needed though, but it appears they will just put out new hardware revisions for incremental fixes and simultaneously fuck their existing user base in the ass, so don't expect perfect 1:1 emulation for the next few hardware revisions (in other words, several hundred bucks could go down the drain before that finally happens)

It's not an exploit per se but it's imperfect so Nintendo could very well release a patch within the next day that blocks Sky3DS if they put in the effort. They may not have a Sky3DS cart on hand yet to analyze how it works but i expect it won't be long before they block it.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see the post you quoted, blocking cart emulation is possible without having to go patch every game produced (which wouldn't even really be possible)

With the way gaming systems work this generation and previous generations that had firmware updates provided by gaming console companies, yes anything can be blocked.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
With the way gaming systems work this generation and previous generations that had firmware updates provided by gaming console companies, yes anything can be blocked.
yeah, what im saying is you couldn't really go and physically patch every game made......ignoring the fact they are roms and you couldn't exactly go and get them all back to patch, it would be impractical to even try making downloadable patches for every game, any blocks done will certainly be done in the system firmware and nothing to do with the games themselves.....basically he didn't read the post i was simply telling him to go read it as the post he quoted said pretty much this in it :D

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I will wait until first day of the new year. If gw hasnt released any support for 9.2 then they can suck my dick. They are probably trolling a lot of bs so ppl wont bying sky3ds. Atleast i can use ninjhax on 9.2 so fu gw!

Reactions: Arithmatics

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since