Hacking Gateway or Sky3ds?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was said that it's really easy to block, in just a couple lines of code.

Because Sky3DS isn't full 1:1 emulation of cartridge communication they would just have to add a check for something the Sky3DS doesn't emulate correctly.
They could make it have 1:1 emulation if needed though, but it appears they will just put out new hardware revisions for incremental fixes and simultaneously fuck their existing user base in the ass, so don't expect perfect 1:1 emulation for the next few hardware revisions (in other words, several hundred bucks could go down the drain before that finally happens)

It's not an exploit per se but it's imperfect so Nintendo could very well release a patch within the next day that blocks Sky3DS if they put in the effort. They may not have a Sky3DS cart on hand yet to analyze how it works but i expect it won't be long before they block it.

If they are determined, which it shows, than indeed I'm expecting a sky3ds blackout in the coming month. If GW is releasing there 9.2 update on 12/25 it would be parents rushing to get there cards updated, tested, and with games and tears in kids eyes and teenagers ditching there so called 'love of there life' to be using there update at last, parents actually having some time alone in the bedrooms while kids hammering away at there 3ds.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, what im saying is you couldn't really go and physically patch every game made......ignoring the fact they are roms and you couldn't exactly go and get them all back to patch, it would be impractical to even try making downloadable patches for every game, any blocks done will certainly be done in the system firmware and nothing to do with the games themselves.....basically he didn't read the post i was simply telling him to go read it as the post he quoted said pretty much this in it :D

That is also true. They need to either find a check point that sky3ds is not using. Seeing as how Sony tried to block ode's the 1st round and failed to block out 1st gen phat ps3's. Round 2 totally did it.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, what im saying is you couldn't really go and physically patch every game made......ignoring the fact they are roms and you couldn't exactly go and get them all back to patch, it would be impractical to even try making downloadable patches for every game, any blocks done will certainly be done in the system firmware and nothing to do with the games themselves.....basically he didn't read the post i was simply telling him to go read it as the post he quoted said pretty much this in it :D

I read your post, but you didn't address my comment until your last line, so I wasn't sure where or who you were addressing. I re-read and suppose it is possible since they are able to do this for the R4 cards every few firmwares. We just lack information on what Sky3DS is really doing behind the scenes.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are determined, which it shows, than indeed I'm expecting a sky3ds blackout in the coming month. If GW is releasing there 9.2 update on 12/25 it would be parents rushing to get there cards updated, tested, and with games and tears in kids eyes and teenagers ditching there so called 'love of there life' to be using there update at last, parents actually having some time alone in the bedrooms while kids hammering away at there 3ds.
Dude let's be real. It's not parents buying these devices. It's the stingy gamers. There are probably one or two cases of cool parents who may have bought this for this kid, but it is more likely a kid who stole their parents credit card who buys flashcarts or a stingy adult.

Reactions: SLiV3R

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude.......be real. We still have gamers in there 40's who still enjoy a good game of Zelda or Mario, especially Zelda...please keep an open mind.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude let's be real. It's not parents buying these devices. It's the stingy gamers. There are probably one or two cases of cool parents who may have bought this for this kid, but it is more likely a kid who stole their parents credit card who buys flashcarts or a stingy adult.
Wow, I am a member of an exclusive club. 47 and Dad of two boys, started with Acekards on the DS Lite 5 or six years ago. 8GB mSD cards and some 100 games or so.

Thanks for the compliment. I like to think I am a cool Dad. Soft modded the Wii before they opened it Christmas 2008 and added games to a 500GB HDD faster than they could play them. In fact they would get mad when I told them to take a break for 15 minutes so I could load up some more games. There are some they never even tried.

I am not personally a huge gamer but my boys are and I need to share interests with them. Oh and when I was 12 I mowed lawns to buy an Atari, still remember is was $136 with tax.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I am a member of an exclusive club. 47 and Dad of two boys, started with Acekards on the DS Lite 5 or six years ago. 8GB mSD cards and some 100 games or so.

Thanks for the compliment. I like to think I am a cool Dad. Soft modded the Wii before they opened it Christmas 2008 and added games to a 500GB HDD faster than they could play them. In fact they would get mad when I told them to take a break for 15 minutes so I could load up some more games. There are some they never even tried.

I am not personally a huge gamer but my boys are and I need to share interests with them. Oh and when I was 12 I mowed lawns to buy an Atari, still remember is was $136 with tax.

Did the same for my lil sister, got her a wii and softmodded with games. God knows what she did because she said it won't load now. LOL.

My point has been proven, we still have older adults who enjoy games as well as want to give there kids something to enjoy. BUT lets not forget the developers.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So great - I'm planning that when I have kids they will need to progress through systems as I did growing up - Congrats son, you're 5! You get to play the 1985 NES now! When you're 7 You'll get the Sega Genesis! Video game achievments for real life...

On a side note, some guy just did this with his own kid as a "research project" and apparently the child is uber good at roguelike genre's now.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, now if only I can find me a working NES system....

edit: I think doing it this way, kids will learn to enjoy games back in the day, and really understand what games should be about, the "fun factor" and not the "wow"

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, now if only I can find me a working NES system....

edit: I think doing it this way, kids will learn to enjoy games back in the day, and really understand what games should be about, the "fun factor" and not the "wow"

That's exactly why the guy did it too, so his son would appreciate a game for what it is and not what it looks like. So many games these days are crap spewed out by the big companies, and then they finally make a hit there's a new one every year that over promises and under-delivers.

And working NES systems are all over Craigslist and eBay if you're really interested. I'm more for the building mini ITX computers that can play most emulators to save on the clutter, but I still have all my systems from growing up too - Except my NES, I'm still convinced my sister sold it for coke money but that's another story!

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly why the guy did it too, so his son would appreciate a game for what it is and not what it looks like. So many games these days are crap spewed out by the big companies, and then they finally make a hit there's a new one every year that over promises and under-delivers.

And working NES systems are all over Craigslist and eBay if you're really interested. I'm more for the building mini ITX computers that can play most emulators to save on the clutter, but I still have all my systems from growing up too - Except my NES, I'm still convinced my sister sold it for coke money but that's another story!

ARCADE CABINET!!!!

I did find fun factor in certain ps3 games but the thing is its shortlived......I just wish it would've been longer gameplay.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys have it all wrong. When I was 8 my dad was in grad school and was a sys admin for a mainframe PDP 11 I think, the hard disks we're as large as a washing machine. Played Adventure and Star Trek on the command line, no GUI at all. A friends dad had a PET and you loaded games by cassette tape. Could take 10 minutes or so to load a game. My first programming class in school used punch cards.

So if you want to start your kids off from the beginning and really appreciate how far gaming has come.....you have your work cut out for you. :)

Do they even make black and white TVs anymore?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys have it all wrong. When I was 8 my dad was in grad school and was a sys admin for a mainframe PDP 11 I think, the hard disks we're as large as a washing machine. Played Adventure and Star Trek on the command line, no GUI at all. A friends dad had a PET and you loaded games by cassette tape. Could take 10 minutes or so to load a game. My first programming class in school used punch cards.

So if you want to start your kids off from the beginning and really appreciate how far gaming has come.....you have your work cut out for you. :)

Do they even make black and white TVs anymore?

Don't think so but I did play my fair share of MUDs in middle/high school too, I've been trying to find one again but they are very few and far between anymore. My parent's also had a 3.1 windows computer that loaded 5 1/2 floppys, not quite the mainframe style you're accustomed too but I can imagine!

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does the GW and Sky3DS handle game patches? Say if I have either card and I want to play SSB and my 3DS is connected to Wi-Fi..... I could see game patches being applied to emunand but how (if at all) do patches get delivered to the Sky3DS running the game? Or does neither card support game updates from Nintendo?

I think I'm leaning towards the Sky3DS now that the 10 limit BS is gone. I could give a f*ck about homebrew or eShop titles.

On a side note, I think it's kind of hypocritical for all these WiiU/3DS hackers taking some moral stance against piracy. I'd be willing to bet $1,000 that these safeguards of intellectual property have at least ONE illegal MP3 on their hard drive/iPod. I mean, either release shit no matter what it can do or shut your mouth and have your mom stroke your ego. "LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A HACK BUT I'M NOT RELEASING IT BECAUSE OF EVIL PIRACY". WTF is up with that attitude other than being an attention whore?! If you have no plans on releasing your hack and just want to demonstrate how smart you are, this is an attention whore tactic. If you're not going to contribute to the scene, go f*ck off and do something else with your life. I blew right by the 5.1 WiiU update. F*ck homebrew, just give me an ODE to play WiiU backups on. But since the WiiU scene is stuck in some childish hell of little 14 year old girl drama queens, no reason to stay on old firmwares versions. I have zero hopes of any WiiU hack coming out since the WiiU is either A) pretty f*cking secure, DESPITE what F0F has talked about or B) a bunch of 14 year old butt hurt girls are doing the hacking.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I literally just ordered a Sky3DS, but then I sat and actually thought that when I get it, I won't be updating past 9.2.0 anyway because I have a Gateway on another 3DS (I have imported an N3DS). So basically I was paying £60 to be impatient :P

Also, I just don't know if Sky3DS is going to get blocked. I know the argument that it has survived a few already, but after seeing that homebrew dev (whose name escapes me) say that they were able to detect it put me off as well. I want my emuNAND!

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because of this post I just ordered gateway. Although I will have to wait for the 9.2.0 update, I would rather get it now than when it gets released and a horde of people decide to order it.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think so but I did play my fair share of MUDs in middle/high school too, I've been trying to find one again but they are very few and far between anymore. My parent's also had a 3.1 windows computer that loaded 5 1/2 floppys, not quite the mainframe style you're accustomed too but I can imagine!
I used DEC word processor in the early 80s that used floppies that were about 10 or 12 inches. I thought I was so cool turning in papers with full line justification.

Thought that Windows thing was so cool and had it on my first laptop that was like 4 inches thick and weighed like 15lbs with its super duper 20MB hard drive and 2MB RAM. That was flashy.

Reactions: Maximilious

chemistryfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Just reporting what I read about the new sky3ds card from the chinese forum...anyway remember the guy who created the program to break the 10 game limit? He recently took apart the old and new sky3DS to compare the difference/changes made and guess what, nothing much changed in terms of hardware other than the change of button color, lol

Which means they simply made some changes to the coding/software and change the color of the button. Makes you wonder what they would do when their card do get blocked....

Not sure if I can link the source since the site contains roms etc...

On-topic: Definitely go for gateway since it offers the best feature...even though update can be slow at times...well at least they don't sell their "software update" as a product

Reactions: gamesquest1

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after seeing that homebrew dev (whose name escapes me) say that they were able to detect it

This doesn't mean shit to me. There is way to much drama in the hacking scene, everyone wants to make a name for themselves by being the only person who knows something, and everyone has a chip on their shoulder about something that gets in the way of working together toward getting this stuff figured out. I won't believe a single word that comes out of these "devs" (many of which have nary an exploit to their name) until I see the results.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn