Hacking Gateway or Sky3ds?

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure I'd believe it can be blocked until it is. I mean, I'm not saying it can't be blocked, but there are so many people who hate Sky3ds that there is a superfluous amount of bullshit being said about it. The way some people act (even those in a respected position in the community) you'd think Sky3ds raped their mom and made them watch.

I don't really believe much of what I read, so I'm not going to say I can know anything in any regard or capacity.

ninja post edit:

I've read rumors that it doesn't block it in 9.4. Isn't the internet fantastic?

At this stage sky can be blocked and so can gateway. The difference is sky can, if needed revert to a true 1:1 with only one game per card. (currently not a true 1:1, but they based their card of one and changed/added a few things which they could do with the current firmware). That is worst case and still viable if nothing else comes out, for many a user.

However much i prefer gateway personally, it's a cat and mouse and always will be and it seems Nintendo want them gone. Gateway gone is not such a bad thing for community development. It would drive some to show/find the exploit used and allow people to work with an open machine, to exploit higher firmwares. It would still be cat and mouse but a community that doesn't withhold and works together would be much larger and more productive than a small solo team like gateway. Remember both current teams are about exploiting us for money more than exploiting the console (kill code, 10 limit etc).

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where exactly did you read that the 9.4 blocks Sky3DS? I'd like to see video proof.

no one knows what Nintendo is working on in terms of firmware so any rumors are just internet stupidity.

We know Sky3ds can be blocked. Devs from #3dsdev have confirmed it.

no they haven't. the only person making such claims is you.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It all comes down to this!
- If you want to play games now and your Nintendo 3DS has firmware 4.0 - 4.5, then get Gateway
- If you want to play games now and your Nintendo 3DS has firmware > 4.5, then get Sky3DS
- if you want to play games later then wait and see what Sky3DS and Gateway do
- if you want to play games now / later and money is of no concern then get both cards.

Option 3 is pure speculation for both cards. Nintendo might be able to block them both or neither of them, we just do not know.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At this stage sky can be blocked and so can gateway. The difference is sky can, if needed revert to a true 1:1 with only one game per card. (currently not a true 1:1, but they based their card of one and changed/added a few things which they could do with the current firmware). That is worst case and still viable if nothing else comes out, for many a user.

However much i prefer gateway personally, it's a cat and mouse and always will be and it seems Nintendo want them gone. Gateway gone is not such a bad thing for community development. It would drive some to show/find the exploit used and allow people to work with an open machine, to exploit higher firmwares. It would still be cat and mouse but a community that doesn't withhold and works together would be much larger and more productive than a small solo team like gateway. Remember both current teams are about exploiting us for money more than exploiting the console (kill code, 10 limit etc).
And by what magic could Sky3ds go back to an 1 on 1 cartridge? I mean do you know this for a fact or are you pulling your info straight from your ass? If you buy an OEM GW card you have nothing to worry about, simple as that! Further more, GW is future proof unlike Sky3ds. If you are willing to buy an inferior product like Sky3ds is and gamble on a product which clearly has no future upgrade plans then it's on you - it seems you've got more money than brains. If anyone smart enough is on 9.0 - 9.2 they will stay there and wait for GW to release its update, because let's be real the games aren't going anywhere.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
And by what magic could Sky3ds go back to an 1 on 1 cartridge? I mean do you know this for a fact or are you pulling your info straight from your ass? If you buy an OEM GW card you have nothing to worry about, simple as that! Further more, GW is future proof unlike Sky3ds. If you are willing to buy an inferior product like Sky3ds is and gamble on a product which clearly has no future upgrade plans then it's on you - it seems you've got more money than brains. If anyone smart enough is on 9.0 - 9.2 they will stay there and wait for GW to release its update, because let's be real the games aren't going anywhere.

Sky3DS emulates a retail cart. This is fact because it doesn't utilize an exploit so it's pretty clear that if they wanted they could just go back to a 1 on 1 cartridge. Google pls.

Yes, games aren't going anywhere but please don't be so ignorant and assume that gateway is completely future proof because as it stands, gateway hasn't released it's update and we all know that 9.3 kills 1/3 of ninjhax.

Both have pros and cons. You'd be wiser to concede to this fact at the very least.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most trying to not sound like fanboys, but you can't HIIIiiIIIiide foreverrrrrr.....

Lets try to give some good insight on both cards and be done with. If the user still can't make up there minds after that, GL in life.

Reactions: Arithmatics

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sky3DS emulates a retail cart. This is fact because it doesn't utilize an exploit so it's pretty clear that if they wanted they could just go back to a 1 on 1 cartridge. Google pls.

Yes, games aren't going anywhere but please don't be so ignorant and assume that gateway is completely future proof because as it stands, gateway hasn't released it's update and we all know that 9.3 kills 1/3 of ninjhax.

Both have pros and cons. You'd be wiser to concede to this fact at the very least.
Without a FPGA Sky3DS can't do jack shit. FFS they could just reprogrammed the old red button card to allow access to more than 10 games. And what did they do? Owh right they released a new blue button card which removes the limit. Now why would they do such a thing and waste money and time on something that by your logic can be reprogrammed?? Owh that's right, because it cannot be reprogrammed!!! That being said the only way Sky3ds is ever going "back" to emulating a retail card 1 on 1 is for them to release a new card like they did with the blue button one - that's right, that's another $100 less in your pocket! Now regarding GW, the ONLY con it's its Firmware limitation, nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: emo kid 68

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Without a FPGA Sky3DS can't do jack shit. FFS they could just reprogrammed the old red button card to allow access to more than 10 games. And what did they do? Owh right they released a new blue button card which removes the limit. Now why would they do such a thing and waste money and time on something that by your logic can be reprogrammed?? Owh that's right, because it cannot be reprogrammed!!! That being said the only way Sky3ds is ever going "back" to emulating a retail card 1 on 1 is for them to release a new card like they did with the blue button one - that's right, that's another $100 less in your pocket! Now regarding GW, the ONLY con it's its Firmware limitation, nothing more nothing less.

So it's just because sky3ds releases updated carts almost as frequently as samsung releasingh new galaxy phones/tablets?

Then i concede that this is a major flaw on sly3ds' side

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So it's just because sky3ds releases updated carts almost as frequently as samsung releasingh new galaxy phones/tablets?

Then i concede that this is a major flaw on sly3ds' side

The fact is that once Sky3ds gets patched your only option is to buy another card if the manage to come up with one once again whitch I highly doubt. The beauty about GW is thats upgradeable and thus making itself future proof! It doesnt matter on what firmware you are be it 4.x or 9.2, emunand will provide future features.

Reactions: Codify
D

Deleted-355425

Sky3DS:
+ Good card for one game at a time.
+ no FW restriction up to this day.
- 10 games limite (fu..g first batch of customers is not right)
- How long will it last?

Gateway:
+ Tones of features (Emunand,CIA..and what not)
+ firmware extensive support
- FW limitation (despite the fact that emunand compensate that, not anybody has a 4.5 or a 9.2 3DS)
- minimal communication skills

Here are the pro's and cons... not points that are invalid, can be about any card and are not researched

SkY 3DS
+ Plays multiple roms
+ works with all current firmwares
+ Lets you pay online and access eshop when your 3DS firmware is uptodate only
- No rom menu, physical rom selection via hardware button
- Unless you have up-to-date firmware some roms will require you to update to play them
- Cannot have new firmware flashed to it for future hot fixes for when exploit entry points blocked
- Cannot install CIA files, if for patches, you will have to update 3DS firmware to access eshop to grab patches.
- No cross Region for games

Gateway
+ Plays multiple roms
+ Supports EmuNAND for games up to 8.1
+ Access to eshop and online functions via CIA patch installs from devMenu
+ Supports multi region
+ Card can be updated by being flashed to change its ability to enter exploits entry points
- EmuNAND requires the manufacturer to keep creating patches so you can use this function, if possible.
- Currently no emuNAND for 9.4 firmware.
- Currently cannot be used on any 3DS firmware higher then 4.5

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about getting either a sky3ds or a gateway for Christmas. I realize that Gateway doesnt support the latest firmware that Nintendo has recently pushed (9.40-21) and sky3ds does. I am pretty sure that gateway will update to the latest version soon. The thing that worries me is this: should I get a sky3ds because gateway has malicious code that can brick my system permanently, or get a gateway because it has more options such as homebrew and region free capabilities?

Between the two, I'd get a Sky3DS. It supports the latest firmware & you won't have to worry about your console getting bricked.

Also, Sky3DS has no limit on ROMs now. The only reason you'd want to get a Gateway (or MT-Card) is if you cared about region-locked games or homebrew.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Between the two, I'd get a Sky3DS. It supports the latest firmware & you won't have to worry about your console getting bricked.

Also, Sky3DS has no limit on ROMs now. The only reason you'd want to get a Gateway (or MT-Card) is if you cared about region-locked games or homebrew.
.... And not paying another $100 when Sky3ds gets blocked. You forgot to mention that part - FTFY.

fuzzdawg11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS's site updated several days ago saying that it supports 9.4. So whoever says that it doesn't is just trolling... else please site your source. Sky3DS is not "updateless", as those with the red card can clearly alter their firmware by using the exploit that Sky3DS links to on their website.

It seems that for now Sky3DS has a HUGE advantage.... the fact that it is using a "hardware" oriented exploit and that it is very unlikely that it can be blocked by a firmware update. Whereas GW is blocked and users are constantly stuck on old firmwares, unable to access internet or CIA patches on their native device. Sky3DS and Ninjhax launched around the same time and Nintendo destroyed Ninjhax within a few weeks, meaning that the Sky3DS exploit must be more complicated to patch. Furthermore, Ninjhax should have been the LEAST of Nintendo's concerns, as it did not allow for pirating of 3DS roms, merely allowing home-brew and emulators that users already have tons of access to via 3rd party devices, PCs, and even their smartphones.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's pretty simple.
If your 3DS is on fw 9.2 or lower, get a Gateway.
If it's 9.3 or above, get a Sky3DS (implying it still works on 9.4)

donkeymilk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who's been in the scene long enough knows how it works. It's always low quality carts with little features that aren't much more than beta releases (lots of bugs, things don't work, bricking, dead carts). Once money gets pumped in to the scene, random Chinese manufactures release clones, this pushes the OEMs (still Chinese....) to release "genuine" carts with maybe better features; due to slightly better hardware, incremental software fixes, or what not. The clones work their way through the supply chain and eventually dry up. Some clones do well enough to survive and release decent products on their own. I vaguely remember SuperCard being in this category during the GBA cart days. Now, I think the SuperCard DSTwo is the best NDS carts you can get. It still works on 9.2 without an update in months.

GBA carts were crap for a while too. F2A Advance Ultra was probably my favorite. It could handle RTS and had full clock support so Pokemon and Final Fantasy worked flawlessly - all ROMs worked flawlessly. However, there was no drag and drop because the storage was on the cart - no SD. You had to plug your GBA in to the PC (serial and then later, USB), put your GBA in clone mode and write the ROMs - this took FOREVER. It took an hour to write a whole 2Mbit cart. Which cost almost $140 at the time.

EZ Flash came out with a drag and drop solution - MiniSD card right on the cart. Card didn't support RTS or the clock, but you could patch the ROMs to make it work. F2A Advance faded away EZ Flash team made a killing.

Point is, history is repeating itself. If you don't want to deal with beta level hardware and software then wait it out a bit. If you don't mind "wasting" some money on first generation carts, then buy the one that works for you. Or buy both. Gateway nor Sky3DS are going to be victorious unless they continue to release new hardware and software.

And don't think that one team is going to have exclusivity over some feature forever - hardware or software exploits. Heck, they're hacking Ninty's OEM stuff; they have no problem buying a competitor's product and stealing their stuff either. It happens all the time. There's no honor among thieves.

tl;dr - you need patience or cash right now. If you're low on both, stay on the sidelines.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country

Uhm .. Not wanting to randomly argument against you dude but uh .. You do know Sky3DS is using some kind of exploit at least at hardware level? They have to be exploiting SOMETHING to bypass Nintendo's regulations and systems. Heck it's not like Nintendo's oficial papers on HOW-TO-BUILD-A-3DS-GAMECARD have been leaked or anything, so there's something Sky3DS is doing that said #3dsdevs aren't mentioning, yet they do mention it is "easy to block".

If such an assumption is real, we'll see in the comming months what happens with Nintendo's firmware updates. The first two or three might not, but I'd wager they won't take very long.

Edit: Another huge problem with Sky3DS: If they manage to block your cart. You're inherently f*cked. I'm not saying you can't block out EmuNAND somehow, but at least Gateway's FPGA can be updated internally. What can you update on a Sky3DS unless you own some sort of Raspberry Pi ??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection