Hacking Gateway Downgrading

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a retail Pokemon Y cartridge, and I'll be playing it in GW Classic Mode (since dumping it corrupts the save). Will i be able to use it with pokebank in GW classic mode?

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downgraded successfully and got DS Profile exploit working yesterday afternoon. This morning the DS profile exploit no longer works but the browser exploit still does (Still on 4.2) - has this happened to anyone else?
Should I just install the exploit again with the blue cart?
If you ever play a ds game or use a ds flash card after installing the dsmode exploit, you will need to reinstall it.

Reactions: Margen67 and AmeenX

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't someone the other day say they would eat their underpants if Gateway released a downgrader..? lol

I'm just waiting to see how rock-solid it is - can you go up and down versions using genuine cartridge updates followed by the downgrade again for example?

Just want to be sure it's a proper downgrade - just like you had bought a 4.x firmware version in a store, and not a lame hack.

Evidence so far is strong that it's a solid downgrade - WHICH IS AWESOME - I'll give it a couple of days.

btw. Can people ever restore their 9.2 sysnand with eshop content and save states still working? (maybe restore to 8.x via a cart will do?)

AmeenX

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Algeria
I'll be interested to see if gateway will be able to pull off 4.X firmware downgrades for 2ds and n3ds when they've never had 4x firmware. There is no 4x firmware for those consoles. They'll have to make a CFW.

There is an other option though, but idk if it's technically possible.
Bring the 4.5 DS profile vuln back as a patch and apply it to the 2D & N3DS on FW above 4.5!

Reactions: Margen67

sblast3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just waiting to see how rock-solid it is - can you go up and down versions using genuine cartridge updates followed by the downgrade again for example?

I used Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to update 4.2 to 4.5, so it seems to be real. I assume (I may be wrong) that this works similar to IOS patching on the Wii.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country

Yep that's the first thing i did with the downgrader. Upgraded my 4.5 sysnand to 9.2 with an emunand backup (renamed to NAND.BIN) and then proceeded to downgrade again a while after that with the gateway dg file.

Everything is working fine, although i haven't bought anything from eshop to vouch for that part of things but everything i had downloaded from eshop, updates, pokebank etc were all still intact afterwards.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a retail Pokemon Y cartridge, and I'll be playing it in GW Classic Mode (since dumping it corrupts the save). Will i be able to use it with pokebank in GW classic mode?
w00t you are using gateway now?? hypocrite would be the understatement of the year here!

anyway, i thought it should work, but i don´t know about the saves being usable.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'll try to explain in an easy way.

Well, games are using different methods and keys to encrypt savegame data.
games using the "6.x" method are using a set of keys available only on SysNAND.

when you are on a 4.5 console (with or without emuNAND) and playing a game requesting the "6.x" encryption key, the key used by the game is read from RealNAND (sysNAND), and the console's NAND don't even know the 6.x key because it's still on 4.5, so it falls back to use 2.x keyset instead of 6.x keyset.

But with updated SysNAND and gateway 3.0, it's now possible to use Gateway Classic emuNAND with console above 6.0
the SysNAND has the 6.0 key, so emuNAND is also using it to encrypt savegames.

All the savegame compatibility depends on the RealNAND version.
Console Real NAND 6.0+ = using new encryption
Console Real NAND 4.x = using old encryption.

if you downgrade from 6.0+ to 4.5, your game cartridge's savegame will not be recognized as it's encrypted with a different key.
and the other way is true too : if you started a "6.x" game on a console with real NAND v4.5, it will not work if you update your console past 6.0

Some games are still requesting the old keys, not all games want the 6.0 keys.
So, games always requesting the 2.0 key work fine whether you are on 4.x or above.

Thank you very much for your explanation. This cleared up some things. But what about these cases:
Retail Pokemon OR/AS on emunand?
Retail saves on gateway 3.0.1 - #1
Retail saves on gateway 3.0.1 - #2

These games use the old encryption even if you're on >6.x, right?

And regarding this part:
But with updated SysNAND and gateway 3.0, it's now possible to use Gateway Classic emuNAND with console above 6.0
the SysNAND has the 6.0 key, so emuNAND is also using it to encrypt savegames.
In which order do I do what if I want to downgrade? First create EmuNAND and everything and as a last step downgrade? Or will this introduce problems?

Space Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Just want to be sure it's a proper downgrade - just like you had bought a 4.x firmware version in a store, and not a lame hack.

Evidence so far is strong that it's a solid downgrade - WHICH IS AWESOME - I'll give it a couple of days.
It seems to be pretty stable.

I did some experimentations with it. I injected my original 4.5 SysNAND to my EmuNAND partition, then I upgraded the EmuNAND firmware through ROMs firmware (to 6.2). After that I extracted the EmuNAND, copied it to my SD card as NAND.BIN and restored that one to the SysNAND. So after that my SysNAND was on 6.2 and I started the exploit via the browser. Then I downgraded the 6.2 SysNAND via the downgrade package. Everything worked flawlessly. At the end I restored all backups (original SysNAND, SD card) and now I have again my original 4.5 SysNAND and 9.4 EmuNAND. :D

I though about doing the upgrade to a higher version (8.2) but I think I remember that Gateway does something during upgrading EmuNAND to 8.x so that it still works. And since I don'd have a hardmod I was scared to try this out. Don't want to write an invalid EmuNAND to my SysNAND just for fun's sake. ;)

Yep that's the first thing i did with the downgrader. Upgraded my 4.5 sysnand to 9.2 with an emunand backup (renamed to NAND.BIN) and then proceeded to downgrade again a while after that with the gateway dg file.

EDIT: So you can restore a 9.x EmuNAND to SysNAND without problems? Unfortunately I don't have a 9.2 backup, just some old 9.0 and a newer 9.4 ...

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just wondering, are the Gateway team members of an advanced alien civilisation or magicians?

(They seem to communicate with the earthling garyopa accurately but very sparingly)

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: So you can restore a 9.x EmuNAND to SysNAND without problems? Unfortunately I don't have a 9.2 backup, just some old 9.0 and a newer 9.4 ...

Yeah i had no problems restoring a 9.x emunand backup to sysnand from the gateway menu :)

I'm just wondering, are the Gateway team members of an advanced alien civilisation or magicians?

(They seem to communicate with the earthling garyopa accurately but very sparingly)

I think they're both an advanced alien civilization AND magicians! Yep alien wizards! haha

Reactions: Space Monkey

wblhornet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just successfully downgraded my 3DS XL from 9.2 to 4.5.

I've found only one downside: Saves on Cartridges which use de KeyY from 6.x+ can't be used. They simple create a new, empty save.

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Quick question
If i have the digital version of pokemon omega ruby and i dowgrade my 3ds to 4.x i will lost the save of the game like my retail pokemon x and y games?
Also what is the size of the saves of the pokemon games?

wblhornet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
After successfull downgrade I can't emunand to 9.4 it always says GW 4.5.
I have emu formatted.

Have you formated emunand after downgrading? If yes your emunand is now on Version 4.5. You have to update emunand according to this guide (Step 1.2). If you have a backup of your old emunand you can restore it with emunandtool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill