Hacking Gateway and me

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I'm new here and have recently joined this forum alongside MaxConsole to follow the latest on Gateway and MultiROM.
I bought mine 29/01/2014 for my 3DSXL which had not been getting the love it's deserved for almost a year, so decided it was time to re-invigorate my love for all things Nintendo once again as I had done before with R4i and SupercardDSTWO on the DS.

So here it is, sat on a shelf with all required kit to install, waiting to be opened and here I am holding back. I've umm'ed and urr'ed about putting 2.0b2 on it to see the work the Gateway team has accomplished so far but I'm scared by the whole bricking fiasco.
I don't hate Gateway for attempting to protect their software, and wouldn't be fussed if it was incorporated (successfully) into 2.0 final - I'm entirely neutral on the whole subject aside from the amount of time it's wasted for everybody involved and how much it sucks for the end user who's console had bricked.

It's been hard watching the clock waiting for word of what's happening regarding 2.0 and unbricking progress.

I'll continue lurking and following the scene - Can't say I have much to offer as I'm only mildly technically minded but I appreciate the updates and effort everyone is putting into moving the scene forward.

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently so? Epic way to say hello to the new comer.. My thread isn't about updates/bricking etc, rather than just a 'Hello' to the community and giving my feelings around the whole situation as it's unfolding. I'm sure everyone is having their own love/hate affair with Gateway and I thought I'd share with the group.

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently so? Epic way to say hello to the new comer.. My thread isn't about updates/bricking etc, rather than just a 'Hello' to the community and giving my feelings around the whole situation as it's unfolding. I'm sure everyone is having their own love/hate affair with Gateway and I thought I'd share with the group.
Its great that you express your feeling but imagine everyone did this on this forum and there are hundred new members daily can you imagine any useful threads?

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its great that you express your feeling but imagine everyone did this on this forum and there are hundred new members daily can you imagine any useful threads?
Hence the fairly generic thread title and content. I can appreciate your point but still being somewhat hostile to the new guy huh? I really hope my time within this community doesn't consist of having to defend myself in the same thread for expressing thoughts and thanking people for their enthusiasm and works.

Reactions: Michunio and Celice

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey welcome to the website! I was in a very similar boat as you are, just received my Gateway less than a week ago. I recommend using 2.0b1, just don't freak out if it hangs while entering Gateway mode. I am not touching emunand as I don't really need/want it currently, but I am looking for to using it when 2.0 final is released.

As far as the Brickgate fiasco goes, just remember nothing has been proven one way or another, no solid evidence of malicious code has been produced. As far as we know the bricks could just be a glitch, hence the major delay in putting out 2.0 final. Atleast that what I hope.

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've actually had the thought about it actually not existing... Looking back at some of these threads things look like they were speculated about then snowballed from there. Someone said about how /most affected users would end up on these forums if their unit bricked and they're right - This forum pops up with a simple google search so it's logical that if it was as widespread as malicious code could be (clone or GW fail) it's been a lot less than you'd come to expect. So it could just as easily be a hardware issue as it could be a software issue.
I'm still hoping they've taken a short holiday over the Chinese New Year and will come back fighting and fill us all in on their findings.

dobosininja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my gateway a couple weeks ago for my regular 3ds. I followed the instructions and set up emunand with the newest FW and played donkey kong and bravely default with no issues. I am using the 2.0b2 as the chances of bricking are small enough that I am willing to risk it. I have had it this way for about 2 weeks now.

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just installed 2.0b1 due to there being no(?) bricks on this FW to date? Granted I'm excited about some of the new releases but I've done this purely to satisfy at least a little of my curiosity. Am hoping it'll keep me busy over the next few days while we wait for Gateway team to re-materialize!

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Welcome! After initially reading your post, I admit I was thinking "Here we go again..." But after rereading and seeing your subsequent posts, I thought I'd chime in since you seem like a member who at least has his head screwed on (a lot of members here don't get the idea of a forum and simply post the first thing that pops into their head on just about every thread). I think the point the first few people were making was that since you didn't really ask a question, what you've said might have been a bit better in one of the existing threads already.

The brick code is definitely there and does exist, there's no doubt in that. For the most part (I personally think all the time) the code works as intended by blocking out the use of the clone cards and other modified Launcher.dat files. I'm personally running 2.0b2 and have been doing so since they first released it. I play my 3DS just about on a daily basis and haven't had a single issue. As I'm sure you're aware, there are members here who will advise against the use of 2.0b2 and suggest you roll back and there are members like me who will say that your concerns should be no higher than if you were modding any other console. This is purely up to you and what you're comfortable with. If you use Gateway's official software found on their site and follow their instructions to the letter, you shouldn't have any problems. Remember, I can count on one hand the amount of users who have claimed their 3DS bricked because of Gateway on these forums and in my opinion, something else is at play in those cases.

Reactions: crazyace2011

RiddleMeThis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice title.

I got my Gateway at the end of 2013 after following them for a while. As soon as I heard about the multirom support I went ahead and bought one. I'm using 2.0b2 as well.
Gateway will fix your 3DS as long as you provide prove you have a gateway card, so I have no fear of bricking my 3DS. However, I'm not using Emunand or any of the other 'beta' functions until it's 100% working.

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lots of good points, and I did notice the 'Introduce Yourself' section on the main forum however I'm here strictly for the 3DS scene so felt the majority of people living in this section of the forum wouldn't get to see it.

I understand the risks involved in using hardware that is not licensed, since I'm a n00b in regards to the tech behind the 3DS I'm completely at the mercy of Gateway and the experiences of the users that I read from sources like here. I am tempted to update to 2.0b2 however am holding onto hope that 2.0f will be here within the next week or so :)

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice title.

I got my Gateway at the end of 2013 after following them for a while. As soon as I heard about the multirom support I went ahead and bought one. I'm using 2.0b2 as well.
Gateway will fix your 3DS as long as you provide prove you have a gateway card, so I have no fear of bricking my 3DS. However, I'm not using Emunand or any of the other 'beta' functions until it's 100% working.

Has anyone had a repaired 3DS back from the Gateway team yet? I saw the whole 'first brick vs delivery to China' thread, Would the team be able to fix them quickly if/when they occur? I'm also curious that there hasn't been more bricked device reports, regardless of Gateway or clone I expected there to be more. In fact I have only seen reports stating Gateway only bricks.

Gabbo04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Has anyone had a repaired 3DS back from the Gateway team yet? I saw the whole 'first brick vs delivery to China' thread, Would the team be able to fix them quickly if/when they occur? I'm also curious that there hasn't been more bricked device reports, regardless of Gateway or clone I expected there to be more. In fact I have only seen reports stating Gateway only bricks.

They don't have time to pay attention about bricks till March as they replied to one user through e-mail.

Now we have many users able to recover your console bricked by Gateway's 2.0b2 launcher but only if you still have a NAND backup somewhere.

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Following the steps in the YouTube tutorial atm and have just backed up the NAND. Makes sense they will wait a little before getting to work on the consoles sent in. Wish I knew how to use a raspberry Pi + solder things. I'm not really worried about bricking my device in the longrun as I have other things to keep me busy if I had to put it back into storage for a while.

F417H

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi
We're able to recover/unbrigk cuz you complete nand backup thing.

And so a little of the fear of bricking drops off.. Now downloading the relevant tools to trim/flash ROMs to MicroSD. Can't believe cards still come pre formatted to win32, saves some of the headache.

hurfty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hey, interesting thread for gateway 3ds newcomers. I also just recently got a gateway after hearing about multi rom support and in spite of the bricking fiasco. But yeah don't really need emunand at the moment so just going with b1. There's plenty of other games to catch up on and fill in the time before the final version comes out, be it march or June or even later.

Reactions: F417H

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Worst would be getting a DRM rootkit from using audio CDs and then Sony getting sued.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Least I can throw the nvme at neighbors now
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    get a 2 TB NVMe from amazon, return the fucked one, get replacement and send that one to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Easier way buy one with a preadded heatsync pop the heat sync open
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some nerd at Amazon warehouse may tell the end of the colors off
    I'd like a 990 pro tyvm <З
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gen 5s going to be crazy expensive at like 10k transfer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $300for 2tb
    don't have anything that can take PCIe5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's still m.2 form just the next gen
    ew crucial
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 6tb nvme pc ftw