Hacking Gateway: After Playing NDS off Blue Cart, I have to use GWInstaller Before Red Cart Works Again.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strangest thing, just as the title says. It seems that by playing NDS games with the Blue cart, that you un-modify the Profile section that you need to access the Red Cart on the 3DS. Why?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Because playing NDS games causes the 3DS to check and fix the profile entry. If you want to avoid that, you can always use the browser entrypoint instead.

This is normal as it happens to everybody. Gateway really has to fix this.
There's not really anything they CAN do to fix it; it's a feature of the console, not a flaw in Gateway.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about Gateway on old exploit, but on new one, you can't boot DS games. Neither in Gateway mode or in Classic Mode. (perhaps Classic Mode if booted without Gateway card? Haven't tried that yet). Console just blackscreens and forces you to reboot it.

Either way, you'll be forced to redo an exploit of some kind to get back into emunand. Personally I would find the web exploit easier to do as the DS profile exploit requires you to reinstall it. That's many more steps to go through if you want to play DS games. Web exploit you can just scan a QR code (or have a bookmark if you aren't always at a computer or haven't printed out a QR code of the gateway URL) go into the browser and boot up the exploit. It's not as quick as getting into gateway mode once the DS profile exploit is "installed", but at least you won't have to go through an added layer of stuff to do to get back into emunand everytime you decide you want to play older DS titles. ;)

Something on sysnand checks/fixes the DS Profile anytime the 3DS boots into DS mode. Unless the sysnand encryption is cracked, I don't see Gateway fixing this ever unless they can somehow get DS mode working on emunand where they can patch it on the fly like everything else.

XDel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about Gateway on old exploit, but on new one, you can't boot DS games. Neither in Gateway mode or in Classic Mode. (perhaps Classic Mode if booted without Gateway card? Haven't tried that yet). Console just blackscreens and forces you to reboot it.

Either way, you'll be forced to redo an exploit of some kind to get back into emunand. Personally I would find the web exploit easier to do as the DS profile exploit requires you to reinstall it. That's many more steps to go through if you want to play DS games. Web exploit you can just scan a QR code (or have a bookmark if you aren't always at a computer or haven't printed out a QR code of the gateway URL) go into the browser and boot up the exploit. It's not as quick as getting into gateway mode once the DS profile exploit is "installed", but at least you won't have to go through an added layer of stuff to do to get back into emunand everytime you decide you want to play older DS titles. ;)

Something on sysnand checks/fixes the DS Profile anytime the 3DS boots into DS mode. Unless the sysnand encryption is cracked, I don't see Gateway fixing this ever.

I just downgraded mine and set up an EmuNand so I could play my NDS games and not have to visit the Gateway site every time.

Anyhow, considering that this is something that I guess can not be fixed... no worries, unless I select the wrong region by mistake... then I wonder what would happen?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Web exploit pretty much operates the same way on 4.x fw as it does on newer firmware. The main thing your losing by staying on 4.5 fw is the new save encryption. They seemed to have fudged up and not gotten the new save encryption working in gateway mode even on 9.x fw sysnand, but in Classic Mode the new save encryption does work. So had you saved any games while on the newer firmware (on retail carts that is. Gateway roms will not be affected), then you'll lose access to those saves if you downgrade to 4.5fw.

Retail carts save fine if you are starting new games on 4.5. But the issue works the otherway around as well. As soon as you try to use them on newer firmware, the saves will not be accessible. It's better to keep sysnand on newer firmware to avoid future save encryption problems when using Classic Mode. ;)

Reactions: XDel

XDel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Web exploit pretty much operates the same way on 4.x fw as it does on newer firmware. The main thing your losing by staying on 4.5 fw is the new save encryption. They seemed to have fudged up and not gotten the new save encryption working in gateway mode even on 9.x fw sysnand, but in Classic Mode the new save encryption does work. So had you saved any games while on the newer firmware (on retail carts that is. Gateway roms will not be affected), then you'll lose access to those saves if you downgrade to 4.5fw.

Retail carts save fine if you are starting new games on 4.5. But the issue works the otherway around as well. As soon as you try to use them on newer firmware, the saves will not be accessible. It's better to keep sysnand on newer firmware to avoid future save encryption problems when using Classic Mode. ;)

Thanks for the explanation!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up