Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been lurking this thread for a bit, as well as asking one question. So no one will probably recognize me.

Anyways. I just finished buying THIS Micro SD. And I'm planning on getting a gateway on THIS site.

A couple of questions I want to ask, however. And I apologize if I sound like a noob, but I want to double check to see if I understand correctly.

1. Has anyone heard/bought from the site I'm planning on getting a gateway from?
2. From what I understand, emuNAND shares the same data as sysNAND, minus games installed from .cia, right?
3. I have some legit games on my sysNAND. None of them will be affected by gateway/emuNAND, correct?
4. What's the point of using eShop on emuNAND if everyone's using .cia for just about everything?
-4a. Is it even possible to update games, weather it be from .cia or legit through eShop while on emuNAND?

That's about it for now.

kthx.

I purchased the same card in the extreme version and a 32 Ultra. If you are going cia you may want to get a SD card the same Amazon sale has the 32gb Sandisk ultra for $13. Some here report slower performance using a mSD with adapter.

For what it's worth I purchased my GW from modchipdirect. Received fast and seems to have good customer service. Might cost a few bucks more but is an official reseller.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been lurking this thread for a bit, as well as asking one question. So no one will probably recognize me.

Anyways. I just finished buying THIS Micro SD. And I'm planning on getting a gateway on THIS site.

A couple of questions I want to ask, however. And I apologize if I sound like a noob, but I want to double check to see if I understand correctly.

1. Has anyone heard/bought from the site I'm planning on getting a gateway from?
2. From what I understand, emuNAND shares the same data as sysNAND, minus games installed from .cia, right?
3. I have some legit games on my sysNAND. None of them will be affected by gateway/emuNAND, correct?
4. What's the point of using eShop on emuNAND if everyone's using .cia for just about everything?
-4a. Is it even possible to update games, weather it be from .cia or legit through eShop while on emuNAND?

That's about it for now.

kthx.

I purchased the same card in the extreme version and a 32 Ultra. If you are going cia you may want to get a SD card the same Amazon sale has the 32gb Sandisk ultra for $13. Some here report slower performance using a mSD with adapter.

For what it's worth I purchased my GW from modchipdirect. Received fast and seems to have good customer service. Might cost a few bucks more but is an official reseller.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's about it for now.

kthx.

1. Listen to them.

2. No. Many things on your home screen and their associated data are actually stored on your SD (the one in your 3DS proper) some things in NAND. The things on your SD will be shared, the things contained in NAND will not. Remove the SD from your 3DS and launch it. If it is no longer on your home menu it probably will share its data across both emu and sysNAND. If it's still there you will have separate data while on one or the other.

Edit: When you first create your emuNAND it will just copy the sysNAND and thus be "shared" in the respect that they will be the same. As soon as you make changes to either of them the above will hold true.

3. GBA ambassador titles and DSiWare will not run in GW mode (just leave GW mode and you can use them again). Beyond that the legitimately purchased things you already have installed should not be affected.

4. Percentage wise very little of the eShop has had a scene release. You might want a title or demo you can't get any other way but getting it from the eShop.

4a. Yes.

<disclaimer> This is how it works now on 4.X GW right now. But really... This is VERY VERY VERY MUCH unlikely to change on the new release. </disclaimer>

Reactions: Phantom_User

mastermodr94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i read something somewhere on here that the reason dsi, gba, etc. doesn't work right now is down to how the 4.meow exploit worked.
/disclaimer.
Yea i also wonder if at some point might we be able to launch ds roms off the red card because entering ds mode might no longer break the exploit

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may be true or not. But GW has not implemented DS and DSi support, and GBA ambassador support is a whole 'nother ball of wax FWIU. If their new exploit does not have that limitation they will still need to code it into their software, it will not just magically support it now just because their new exploit would allow it...

That said. The result of this wait may be better than we think if Nollog's info is correct. Back when us 4.x early adopters were waiting for multi-ROM, when the new update finally hit it was WAY better than we had hoped and contained something none (most?) of us were expecting: emuNAND. Maybe that's the "care package" they have up their sleeves this time to get our forgiveness like it did back then.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may be true or not. But GW has not implemented DS and DSi support, and GBA ambassador support is a whole 'nother ball of wax FWIU. If their new exploit does not have that limitation they will still need to code it into their software, it will not just magically support it now just because their new exploit would allow it...

That said. The result of this wait may be better than we think if Nollog's info is correct. Back when us 4.x early adopters were waiting for multi-ROM, when the new update finally hit it was WAY better than we had hoped and contained something none (most?) of us were expecting: emuNAND. Maybe that's the "care package" they have up their sleeves this time to get our forgiveness like it did back then.
As a business decision, would adding that support sell more cards? I suspect not so if I were GW it wouldn't be a priority. If the DStwo is real that may change things.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the more reason things are likely to remain the same as they are... Even if I think the bonus feature would be nice. I was only saying that they surprised us in the past in a big way after a big delay in my second paragraph, maybe (a big maybe) it will happen again. While I suspect not, it would be nice, yes?

As far as business decisions are a concern, almost any functionality that GW can add will sell more carts, don't you think? A lot of original SCDS2's were sold because of the GBA/SNES/etc emulators for it. Is your argument that different? Explain.

Reactions: Phantom_User

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry i havn't been keeping up with the comments lately. any news wether it will come before 2015? as in tomorrow at some point? or will we have to wait until january 17?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
sorry i havn't been keeping up with the comments lately. any news wether it will come before 2015? as in tomorrow at some point? or will we have to wait until january 17?
Very soon(tm)

2Hack had news ;)

BemaniAK

Trophies
XP
Country
Jan 5th was a promised cut off point in an Email, though more likely to come out between now and the 2nd.
Apparently their software is done and they're just preparing to deploy it properly.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the thing people aren't realizing though is the fact that it's still a kernel exploit (they wouldn't have been able to extract .cias and have the multirom menu without it). Yes, it might take a while for features to return (if they are missing any at all), but once you have ARM9 kernel access I'd imagine it's pretty straightforward to port whatever code they ran in ARM9 from before. Either way though it's definitely exciting to see what exploit will be happening next for Gateway. I can't remember who said it before, but a dedicated GW channel would be awesome for doing dumps and stuff, especially if the exploit relies on a QR code or anything annoying.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the more reason things are likely to remain the same as they are... Even if I think the bonus feature would be nice. I was only saying that they surprised us in the past in a big way after a big delay in my second paragraph, maybe (a big maybe) it will happen again. While I suspect not, it would be nice, yes?

As far as business decisions are a concern, almost any functionality that GW can add will sell more carts, don't you think? A lot of original SCDS2's were sold because of the GBA/SNES/etc emulators for it. Is your argument that different? Explain.
It would absolutely be nice.

The SCDS2 had a lot of competition and needed the features to differentiate itself and justify the higher price point. Right now the only competition GW has is Sky and those are features it will never be able to offer. You buy a 3DS primarily for 3DS games and a flashcart for backups. I just don't see many 3DS owners deciding not to buy a GW because it doesn't offer awesome emulators.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do on-card GBA/Snes emulators matter so much now that Ninjhax is a thing?

Ninjhax was blocked too quickly. Unless Smealum has something up his sleeve to fix it or someone else makes a homebrew only launcher that works past 9.2 and is a little more future proof, any HB coders will probably move on to (GW?) where people can actually use the things they've worked so hard on. On card GBA/SNES emulators may be (most likely are) dead, but probably not because of Ninjhax. Just my opinion, anyway.

And FYI I also own a legit copy of Cubic Ninja w/ the exploit installed. I still think it will rapidly lose support, especially when Pokemon Zelda Smash Metroid Brothers is released and it requires users to update to FW 10.0... Sorry Smea, amazing work though. :-/

Godson777

yo waddup
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably going to sound dumb and repeat something that's been said, but I'm not gonna scroll through 600 pages of hype, argument, and other nonsense just to find out.

Towards the end of the N3DS Video, the red nail lady goes to system settings. And there's no "GW" behind the firmware version. Again, I may sound completely stupid, and I apologize in advance. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who noticed.

That must mean they installed a .cia to sysNAND? Or am I being dumb, like I previously mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One of my friends wants to do a pc wall build I'm like but you constantly complain about roaches lol