Hacking Gateway 3DS Team Response to Clones and 2.0 update

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they already mentioned multirom in the previous news update (the faq). So, if it's a surprise as they say, it should be something else. Probably cheats and screenshots to show-up smea. :P

maybe a downgrade w/o needing nand backup ,who knows

sixcats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wish they would start giving specific ETAs. Realise that it's not sensible from their perspective in terms of potential missed deadlines, but it even 'two months from now' is nicer than 'soon'.

Reactions: Nightwish

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I really thought you were being sarcastic for a moment.

Why? Surely I can't be the only one who thinks that way. Didn't the official review on here also state that the card is of very high quality? And I totally agree with that.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
No, it can happen, it just requires a ton of work.

Yeah it'd be possible on PS3, but ratio of effort to reward is very low, would take months to find and develop an exploit to do what can already be done on a vast majority of PS3s with either a hardware flasher or an ODE. Difference with 3DS is that there's some financial incentive for flashcart manufacturers, if they can find an exploit in higher firmwares they'll have a much wider market to sell to.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe that surprise is higher firmware support, that'd be great for them to sell some more GW3DS and show how those clones sucks..

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
That probably will never happen just like the ps3 cfw has to be on 3.55 for 3ds 4.5

can you please never post again about stuff like this?

the story about the PSP do you know it? i am gonna tell you my experince, i had to get a specific firmware, buy a game and use the game for downgrade it, months later they released pandora, i never needed a game any more and worked on every firmware possible

the flaws are there, the "hackers" or modders, have to find them out, when i got my psp at a very high firmware everyone was telling it was impossible until the exploit with the lumines game was find out, ho, later it was found out you could just patch a battery and there ya go no specific firmware, and now psp is dead and you can run an app just for softmod the psp

about the ps3, the same thing will happen sometime, they will find a "universal" exploit which works with every firmware... or sony will simple stop making updates and a hack for the last firmware will be released

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is some recent clone precedent with the True Blue dongle for PS3. That dongle was a little pricey going for about $50 but it was very well supported with a number of 'firmware upgrades' which were really nothing more than clone debilitating updates. A few months after it came out the clones hit and were like 1/2 as much but they essentially were TB design and used TB code......TB started implementing lockout methods to keep the clones from working. TB took a lot of heat from the PS3 scene because they were 'evil pirate scum sucking money hungry a-holes' because essentially their dongle was just a DRM device that you needed to use their 3.55+ patches. Hey I bought one and it served me well for over a year because even if you bought games (which sometimes I did) you could rip them with a backup manager and then use the TB patch to get them running on your 3.55 PS3.

It is easy to concieve that their are methods for Gateway to do the same thing....one method would be chip ID on the PIX chip or they may have even built in serialization so their firmware will check your Gateway red card ID and know its valid....I don't mind the clones but hey you get what you pay for....so in about a week or so when Firmware v2.0 comes out be ready for it to work only on Gateway and not with the clones.....that will likely last a few weeks/months until other teams crack their update or make their own 'forked' update.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised that people don't want clones to exist. Clones raises the competition people and with competition, each team will try their best to make their product superior to the other just like how the DSTWO was doing back in the days. Let's not forget that the R4i Gold team have always supported their products, so I wouldn't mind buying their cart if what they offer is going to be similar to what Gateway offers.

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised that people don't want clones to exist. Clones raises the competition people and with competition, each team will try their best to make their product superior to the other just like how the DSTWO was doing back in the days. Let's not forget that the R4i Gold team have always supported their products, so I wouldn't mind buying their cart if what they offer is going to be similar to what Gateway offers.

why have more competition when you can just buy from a monopoly company?
its not like they will rip you off
companies are looking out for our best interests
/sarcasm

what i find funny is that gateway is probably marking up this flashcart 500% and the clones are probably using the exact same hardware but with a lower markup

id buy a clone before id buy a real gateway, that shit is a rip off imo

darkziosj

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Nope they will not try anything.... the other teams will simply wait till the original team gets something done, THEN they show with something similar, magic?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

indeed, was hoping they were cool enough to say something like "lets bring the war and the best wins" or "lets see if our competitors will get better than ourselves"

i just hope they dont get in a anti-clone war and care more about the competitors than the costumers they got....

time will tell if they start delaying updates to implement anti clone patches, and hurt themselves just to make others "down"..

i know its bad when someone just copies our work... but come on the other dudes are not even trying, just using gateway own pictures shows how lame they are... it doens't worth someones attention...

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
/sarcasm

what i find funny is that gateway is probably marking up this flashcart 500% and the clones are probably using the exact same hardware but with a lower markup

It's not about it being a rip off. Ok it offers two carts one for DS Mode and the other one for 3DS Mode, but it's still hard for me to understand why do some people on GBATemp don't want any clones? Who wouldn't want a DSThree for example that offers extra features just like the DSTWO did? I would and I am pretty sure those whinning about clones would too. Who wouldn't want the R4i Gold team on board? I would, because in time we might see Wood firmware on their cart if multi-rom support comes.

Nope they will not try anything.... the other teams will simply wait till the original team gets something done, THEN they show with something similar, magic?

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Do you even know the R4i Gold team? Judging from your comment, I would take that as a no.

luigi90210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not about it being a rip off. Ok it offers two carts one for DS Mode and the other one for 3DS Mode, but it's still hard for me to understand why do some people on GBATemp don't want any clones? Who wouldn't want a DSThree for example that offers extra features just like the DSTWO did? I wouldn't and I am pretty sure those whinning about clones wouldn't either. Who wouldn't want the R4i Gold team on board? I wouldn't, because in time we might see Wood firmware on their cart if multi-rom support comes.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Do you even know the R4i Gold team? Judging from your comment, I would take that as a no.

wait?

you dont want any of the clones?
thats what your response is saying

i am supporting clones and infact, ill buy a clone before i buy gateway

lrn2engrish noob

i just explained sarcastically why people dont want clones as well
maybe you dont know what you are talking about since your shitty rebuttal conflicts your OP

One of the reasons I don't like these clones is that they are still expensive.

agreed, these clones are still pricy

im gonna wait until they are around the $30 range

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wait?

you dont want any of the clones?
thats what your response is saying

i am supporting clones and infact, ill buy a clone before i buy gateway

lrn2engrish noob

i just explained sarcastically why people dont want clones as well
maybe you dont know what you are talking about since your shitty rebuttal conflicts your OP

Lrn2engrish? I suggest you re-read what I said before trying to correct me.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's the thing. Clones are known to be inferior products with little to no support. An update could get released, that will eventually leave these carts in the dust. In this case, the clones are rehashing Gateway 3DS down to the 1.0 firmware, which includes all of the limitations of said firmware. Clones are built with the cheapest manufacturing materials on hand to reduce cost and maximize profits.

The Gateway 3DS was built with a high quality plastic that can similarly mimic a Nintendo 3DS retail cartridge. Clones will most likely use an inferior version of this plastic, and if you've been to the website of these clones, you'd quickly notice that some of the material on these sites has been directly copied off of the Gateway team. This shows zero originality.

All in all, clones will always exist. It was just a matter of time. However, if you order a clone, don't come to us bitching "X" weeks later that your item is broken. The ends are going to justify the means here, but the higher grade product will be the one that survives. If you want to go buy a clone, that's fine, it's your money, we're not going to stop you. It's just that given the R4 line of carts is a perfect reason why you shouldn't even be supporting these carts in the first place. ;)

Reactions: the_randomizer

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/sarcasm

but gateway probably has DRM on their FW updates ,IF they do then you will have to wait a long time if they ever even become availale for the clone, just like ps3 TB dongle and its clones

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.