• Views 88,881
  • Replies 261
  • Likes 3

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Also why does firmware need to be on 4.5 exactly, and not just any firmware release below 4.5?
The FW doesn't need to be 4.5 exactly, but it must be 4.x (4.1 - 4.5) because Gateway doesn't work on older and newer software. FW 4.5 is preferred because it's the lowest FW version for some high-profile games which won't run on lower 4.x FW; if none of the games you're interested in require 4.5, you can stay on lower 4.x as long as it supports everything you want to play.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devin or someone else with the card and an R4i Save dongle......could you test to see if the R4i save dongle can read and write to the eeprom save on the red card itself.....it should as I expect the RED card is using the same type of save memory that most 'commercial cards' do. So what I would like to be able to do is pull the save game file off my original with the R4i, write it to the gateway red card and then let it create its .sav backup on the 3DS SD card. Likewise it my be useful to pull the save file off the gateway card and transfer it back to an original. Can someone please confirm if this will work as if it will I want to add a R4i sale dongle to my order before my vendor ships me the gateway.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also guys lets remember that not all new games require a firmware update although after the gateway gets out and Nintendo patches it they may become more stringent in making 3rd parties require an update. An example is the just released SMT 4 did not require any update. Also the updates have been behind quite a bit in that the newly released Mario and Luigi Dream team is the first game forcing 5.1 udpate. Last point is it may be possible to remove mandatory updates or get games to work on older firmwares so even if it gets locked we still may be able to run newer games. For sure I expect Nintendo to do everything possible to make sure to have it locked when Pokemon and Zelda come out later this year.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also guys lets remember that not all new games require a firmware update although after the gateway gets out and Nintendo patches it they may become more stringent in making 3rd parties require an update. An example is the just released SMT 4 did not require any update. Also the updates have been behind quite a bit in that the newly released Mario and Luigi Dream team is the first game forcing 5.1 udpate. Last point is it may be possible to remove mandatory updates or get games to work on older firmwares so even if it gets locked we still may be able to run newer games. For sure I expect Nintendo to do everything possible to make sure to have it locked when Pokemon and Zelda come out later this year.
and this is why i bought a new xl. now i have one for newer games and one for 3ds flashcarts

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devin or someone else with the card and an R4i Save dongle......could you test to see if the R4i save dongle can read and write to the eeprom save on the red card itself.....it should as I expect the RED card is using the same type of save memory that most 'commercial cards' do. So what I would like to be able to do is pull the save game file off my original with the R4i, write it to the gateway red card and then let it create its .sav backup on the 3DS SD card. Likewise it my be useful to pull the save file off the gateway card and transfer it back to an original. Can someone please confirm if this will work as if it will I want to add a R4i sale dongle to my order before my vendor ships me the gateway.
Devin already tested the save dongle, and it doesn't work with Gateway.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. Well then, no wonder it didn't work. Don't the saves have to match up to the specific console/game itself? That means it's still possible for the Save Dongle to work.

Dunno. From what pong said I'll have to try a unencrypted save. The saves created by the GW3DS, are also almost twice as large as those made by the R4i Dongle. (I also doubt it, I mean there's a website dedicated to sharing gamesaves. So unless they do some resigning, I'm going with the saves are different.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno. From what pong said I'll have to try a unencrypted save. The saves created by the GW3DS, are also almost twice as large as those made by the R4i Dongle. (I also doubt it, I mean there's a website dedicated to sharing gamesaves. So unless they do some resigning, I'm going with the saves are different.

What quicksilver wants to know is if it's possible to use the R4i on the GW3DS cart, as it's assumed the saves are temporarily stored on the GW3DS then transferred to the 3DS when you shut the game down. A good way to test this is to delete the save created on the SD card and see if there's still something on the GW3DS cart (just make sure not to switch games on the GW3DS as that might screw things up.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What quicksilver wants to know is if it's possible to use the R4i on the GW3DS cart, as it's assumed the saves are temporarily stored on the GW3DS then transferred to the 3DS when you shut the game down. A good way to test this is to delete the save created on the SD card and see if there's still something on the GW3DS cart (just make sure not to switch games on the GW3DS as that might screw things up.

Right because I am asuming the the save on the actual gateway card is for all intents and purposes a regular 3DS save game eeprom or nand or whatever chip they use in the actual carts. If this is the case then the R4 dongle should read and write it. I am guessing that someone will be able to make a save data util to covert the gateway .sav file that goes on the SD card to a r4 compatible file so you won't even need the dongle.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and this is why i bought a new xl. now i have one for newer games and one for 3ds flashcarts

Yeah I bought a new 3DS XL in April but 5.1 was already out so my launch 3DS was already on 5.1 and I had to update the XL to do the data transfer and be able to move my ambasador games and re-download my already purchased full games. So I then traded in my 3DS because gamestop had some deal going on and gave me $90 for it.

So now my XL is on 5.1 and I have written gateway and they seem confident they will get 5.x and 6.x working but I don't fully trust them. Exploits are not easy to find and one of the reasons they happen so fast on IOS devices is because a lot of groups/people search for them the minute the betas get released. Now that gateways exploit code is in the wild hopefully more people can search for possible holes in 5.x and beyond. When the jtag glitch was found on XBOX it was one dash and kernel revision that had the hole, never before and never after. Sure later they figured out the glitcher boards but I was able to jtag one of my own and several friends models before they updated and closed the exploit.

It is very encouraging that it appears someone has found a way to program the firmware nand on the 3DS and do a downgrade. Now that could be useful because someone could (and likely will) make a nice kit for downgrading and what would be even cooler is if someone could figure out a dual nand solution so you could just flip a switch or hold down a key combo and switch between older/newer firmware. Meanwhile I am keeping my eyes on Craigs List to try to catch a cheap 3DS that hasn't been updated past 4.5

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I bought a new 3DS XL in April but 5.1 was already out so my launch 3DS was already on 5.1 and I had to update the XL to do the data transfer and be able to move my ambasador games and re-download my already purchased full games. So I then traded in my 3DS because gamestop had some deal going on and gave me $90 for it.

So now my XL is on 5.1 and I have written gateway and they seem confident they will get 5.x and 6.x working but I don't fully trust them. Exploits are not easy to find and one of the reasons they happen so fast on IOS devices is because a lot of groups/people search for them the minute the betas get released. Now that gateways exploit code is in the wild hopefully more people can search for possible holes in 5.x and beyond. When the jtag glitch was found on XBOX it was one dash and kernel revision that had the hole, never before and never after. Sure later they figured out the glitcher boards but I was able to jtag one of my own and several friends models before they updated and closed the exploit.

It is very encouraging that it appears someone has found a way to program the firmware nand on the 3DS and do a downgrade. Now that could be useful because someone could (and likely will) make a nice kit for downgrading and what would be even cooler is if someone could figure out a dual nand solution so you could just flip a switch or hold down a key combo and switch between older/newer firmware. Meanwhile I am keeping my eyes on Craigs List to try to catch a cheap 3DS that hasn't been updated past 4.5
I was able to get a 4.5 xl like new on amazon for $170. I agree that finding new exploits aren't easy. I wanted to get one because i didn't want to miss out on homebrew and regret not buying an xl when i had the chance.

nitehack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nitehack.blogspot.com.es
XP
Country
Spain
Has anyone opened the Gateway3ds and can tell us the numbering of this chip?
gatewa10.jpg

I guess it's a flash memory or an EEPROM, but I like to know what exactly chip.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So does the DS emulation include built in cheats (like akaio has with acekard)? Also why does firmware need to be on 4.5 exactly, and not just any firmware release below 4.5?

Simple.
In later firmware versions, this is exploit is patched.
EDIT: Sorry, i thought you ment ABOVE 4.5, nevermind what i said!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits... +1