• Likes 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I miss the good old days where people still had a passion for hacking console and when companies didn't make there consoles hack proof. Isn't that the reason why the new consoles have not been hacked no one can hack them or the people who could hack them don't have the desire to hack them?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

rsdroopy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be only a conspiracy theory, but what if the firmware update was exactly the intention of this card?

Just a flowchart of thoughts:
- Nintendo has seemingly patched any exploits in the pre-6.0 firmwares.
- Someone at the scene thought that a rushed firmware update could have a number of exploitable elements. (s)he thought that a threat of piracy could taunt Nintendo into rushing out a major update (with some tacked-on features not to be too obvious).
- They made a 1:1 clone card, Gateway3DS, which uses no exploits but made Nintendo believe it does by composing the description that way.
- Nintendo, as expected, rushed out with the 6.0 update which contained so many flaws they had to release a minor patch almost immediately.
- Now, the scene has the un-minor-patched 6.0 firmware which is rife with bugs and likely multiple exploitable flaws.
- They can now freely search for these exploits that can hack the system wide open.

I believe this card is not based on any exploit. The signature check of 3DS is not hacked here. Only official software from retail game can run because they have the right signature. Somehow they reverse-engineered the encrytion scheme of 3DS rom and was abled to emulate the encryption/decrytion process in the card.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Man I miss the good old days where people still had a passion for hacking console and when companies didn't make there consoles hack proof. Isn't that the reason why the new consoles have not been hacked no one can hack them or the people who could hack them don't have the desire to hack them?

Companies always made there consoles hack proof just over the years they have beefed up there security no console is hack proof there's always a exploit or loophole somewhere

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This might be only a conspiracy theory, but what if the firmware update was exactly the intention of this card?

Just a flowchart of thoughts:
- Nintendo has seemingly patched any exploits in the pre-6.0 firmwares.
- Someone at the scene thought that a rushed firmware update could have a number of exploitable elements. (s)he thought that a threat of piracy could taunt Nintendo into rushing out a major update (with some tacked-on features not to be too obvious).
- They made a 1:1 clone card, Gateway3DS, which uses no exploits but made Nintendo believe it does by composing the description that way.
- Nintendo, as expected, rushed out with the 6.0 update which contained so many flaws they had to release a minor patch almost immediately.
- Now, the scene has the un-minor-patched 6.0 firmware which is rife with bugs and likely multiple exploitable flaws.
- They can now freely search for these exploits that can hack the system wide open.

That is actually very well noticed.

The thing is, I do not believe it was a bluff, or an intentional blow on Gateway's team part just to get Nintendo to release a rushed update.

I do believe however, that Nintendo did indeed rush to block the card. They are bound to know about it by now.

But one thing I think Nintendo has never done is release ANOTHER update so quickly to fix the mess they made. The 6.0.0 update, was clearly rushed and because of that it is unstable and flawed.

This is not some conspiracy. It just happened since one team is trying to start production and make big money, and the other team (Nintendo) is trying to prevent that.

What was the date the 6.0.0 update was announced? Around the 17th of June?

Source: http://gbatemp.net/threads/confirmed-new-firmware-update-5pm-pdt.349643/

Yup. The Gateway card was supposed to release by the end of that month. Between the 15th and 31st.

So the way I see it, this is no bluff. The Gateway team got screwed, but at the same time, they released a firmware that may contain exploits opening the path to some hackers..

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they built the Gateway 3ds on a gateway computer :unsure: (food for thought).

Gateway is a term used for things that lead to other things. like "marijuana is a gateway drug"
What they're claiming with the title is basically that their cart will lead to other hacks/mods...
at least that's how I see it.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is a term used for things that lead to other things. like "marijuana is a gateway drug"
What they're claiming with the title is basically that their cart will lead to other hacks/mods...
at least that's how I see it.
Each person has their own interpretation. I see Gateway as a doorway to extreme animosity on forums and general vitriolic discussions across the whole internet. Also, piracy.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country

Virman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow, thanx for finding it, i enjoyed reading the article...although i miss the NSFW part, which triggered me to read it...at work..even my Boss didnt see the NSFW part.

Enchilada

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Gateway team doesn't looks like they're trolling us, they're pretty confident about their product. It's still weird that they appeared from nowhere with a flashcart,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade