Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The people who need them (i.e. neimod & yellows8) already have ways of feeding data to a 3DS (e.g. neimod's JTAG setup), and anyone else who has some decent idea of some potential exploit could contact them and sort something out, I'm sure.
The easier it is, the more people it's accessible to. This stuff should not just be restricted to a few named people. :\

How can you say that? This device can be used to play legal backups of 3DS games! People don't want to damage their original game carts that they bought with their hard earned money! :tpi:
Well it can't be used to run homebrew, so...

Dunno if this is a valid question, or if this has been addressed already, but how could the Gateway flashcart NOT be used for pirating purposes? People sometimes validate flashcarts by being more convenient for carrying multiple legitimate games, or homebrew, but this flashcart cannot do either.

Just a question, TBH I'm a horrible pirate.
Your own backups, mainly if they get a game manager working.

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno if this is a valid question, or if this has been addressed already, but how could the Gateway flashcart NOT be used for pirating purposes? People sometimes validate flashcarts by being more convenient for carrying multiple legitimate games, or homebrew, but this flashcart cannot do either.

Just a question, TBH I'm a horrible pirate.

keep-calm-and-don-t-you-worry-child.png

But seriously, lezbehonest, who gives a flying shit? :yay:

LTK

Trophies
XP
Country
I tought they had the same games as we do :O
Which ones ?

There's quite a few. Some are getting localized I think. Bravely Default, Layton Vs Ace, some Dragon Quest games, Super Robot Wars stuff, Fantasy Life and Tomodachi collection to name a few.

Reactions: Mthb54

Mthb54

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's quite a few. Some are getting localized I think. Bravely Default, Layton Vs Ace, some Dragon Quest games, Super Robot Wars stuff, Fantasy Life and Tomodachi collection to name a few.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

You're Welcome ;)

Honestly, there are two games in that list which I can't wait to see:
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - which was the main reason I bought a 3DS at it's launch,
and Dragon Quest Monsters Terry Wonderland 3D - that for me, seems to be thoushand miles ahead Pokémon X and Y.

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Well I pop up. An interesting question for all you guys.
How much possibility you think it may need another DUMP method?
IIRC, the DUMPs flying around now isn't very likely to be a FULL DUMP.
If this one needs FULL ones, that they should give a tutorial of how to DUMP my carts.
That would be interesting to see what is explictly included compared to a "Not full" dump.
Maybe those sections may help someone to locate the security (like constant or magic strings~).
Well yeah. Still waiting to see the price of legit cartages got down.
(I should get my SMT4 if that do drop - Since that is proven good and i like SMT series)
Also, advicing you wait a while - at least for Devkin, maybe for those cart makers.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Just wanna make some comments about this Q & A (also fyi the team behind it is from Europe):

- Is it one microSD per game?
Currently yes.
There's no reason this couldn't be handled by the hardware if it was implemented right

- Can it play games from other regions?
Currently no, however due to popular demand, we have launched an investigation into this possibility.
This method could never ever run games from another region, EVER

- Are saved games working? Once you take out the game is the save file kept or lost?
We are currently working to fully support back up and restore of save data.
There's no reason this couldn't be handled by the hardware if it was implemented right

- Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?
Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any updates should be avoided)
Well if they simply don't allow savegame function to work, then of course it could be blocked? Unless Nintendo is scared of blocking legitimate carts that might have a save chip failure. I'm guessing this is why the answer is essentially 'probably not'

- Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?
Yes, but we advise not to use online features
This is because newer gamecards have a unique ID, and multiple users going online with the same ROM would indicate they are using a a flashcart (basically think of it as an oncart cd-key). It's riskier than they imply because the firmware logs game usage, which could be later checked against an online database potentially. So when they say don't use online features it really means don't ever use any online features again and make sure it never even attempts to connect to wifi, just in case. Not reassuring...

- Is it upgradable?
Yes some aspects of the design will be upgradable.
This is some intentionally vague answer for whatever reason

- Can it run normal DS roms?
No, there are many alternative options for this.

- Suggested Retail price?
About $80/€65
Fair enough they did it first and it's likely possible they can add in those missing features. But it seems rushed out and people like the Supercard team could do a better job with the firmware side of things thanks to their experience. Or Normatt could do it (hi)

Reactions: Syphurith

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hahaha me too but I like how the games see aside the others... in fact, I bought the ones I already play... like RE:4... SSBB etc... now I can afford buy some games C:

I like collecting all the pokemon games I have a weird obsession lol.
And I have so many useless 3ds games (me no like...) ie: angry birds, starforx :|
Some were free downloads and others well I just bought them.

So far the only 3ds games that were worth playing at least IMO were all the pokemon xD and resident evil relevations !!! <3

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Japan has a lot of fantastic games on the 3DS.

The person in question appears to live in Japan based on his flag under his avatar.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess he only has access to Japanese 3DSs and he clearly speaks english, he probably wants to be able to buy a 3DS where he lives but be able to play english games.

But hey, I could be way off.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The person in question appears to live in Japan based on his flag under his avatar.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess he only has access to Japanese 3DSs and he clearly speaks english, he probably wants to be able to buy a 3DS where he lives but be able to play english games.

Yeah, like, he couldn't possibly have selected Japan just because reasons... oh no, he must live there.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Am I the only one who sees the Canadian flag instead? Why do I have this feeling that we might not be on the same page.... O___o

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When are you getting the sample?

I'd imagine a week or so before retailers get it. But I just asked them if they knew when they were sending it out. Waiting for a reply now. I'm sure they want to get the kinks out before sending it off to be reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Also this song https://youtu.be/27RWx9Q6LcQ?si=c7C8YuRoIPHadiQ0