Hacking Gateway 3DS Firmware v2.0 - New UI and More!

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how they say 'the next one (update) will be a major evolution' those are big words to throw around so that combined with 'we are saving the best for last' (the second part of the announcement).....makes me think it truly has to be something big.....evolution implies a new or improved modus operandi does it not?

Here are my top speculations that make the most sense....

1. Multi-Rom----they have a gui so multi-rom isn't going to be that big of a next step

2. The ablility to run unsigned or modified Roms/code.....this would be good because the next step would be Rom hacking which would be huge for things like save game redirection (fixing the NAND save issues), defeating AP checks and patching boot executatbles to work on 4.5.

3. A real team patching system....like prometheus loader for psp which would decrypt and patch newer games at launch so they could run on older firmware.

4. 5.x/6.x support or even upgrade/downgrade support....what if they have found a way to read/write the Nand from DS mode...that way you could update and then downgrade again...that seems like a long shot but hey we are just dreaming here.

I like the use of the 'evolution' and in reality Gateway has been careful and conservative about what they have promised and have delivered what they have promisied so I think this will be big....Pokemon has surely already gone gold and gone to manufacture so whatever they release Nintendo won't have time to counter until the next batch of games (Zelda).

Even if it turns out to be multi-rom, or anything "less surprising" according to you, it's a great achievement, considering it's coming from a company that earned 0 trust from people before they actually used the product.

Reactions: hashcheck1

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
3. A real team patching system....like prometheus loader for psp which would decrypt and patch newer games at launch so they could run on older firmware.

Do you think an "actual patch" to remove the "asking for update" function of the Roms would be a biggest improvement than a Rom loader (even having already the firmware spoof)? Seriously, I believe the 3DS Rom Trimmer can do that already.

Suzakuryuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I wonder if the ROM Backup can backup game/app from e-shop...
cos there's many good games/app there, and knowing that Ace Attorney 5 said to be digital only release

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wonder if the ROM Backup can backup game/app from e-shop...
cos there's many good games/app there, and knowing that Ace Attorney 5 said to be digital only release

I think you can back up those by copying them directly from the SD card, the problem with e-shop games is that they are encrypted so you would be the only one able to play your own back ups.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why Russia rather than somewhere with much cheaper labour... Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, etc...?

Simple. They are right next to eachother.

Also they do make replica merchandise in Vietnam and some other Asian countries from what I heard. Most all the good stuff comes from Guangzhou and outskirt houses and such.

And to the other guy's post. I would have to agree. Bootleg electronics coming from Russia are very very sub par and you'll be lucky if it doesn't come with either or both of the following: loaded with a Russian computer virus, lasts longer than 15 minutes to a week.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Has anyone tried the NAND Backup option yet? Can it restore as well and does the restore works? Also great update, really shows Gateway3DS is making large improvements.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Simple. They are right next to eachother.

Also they do make replica merchandise in Vietnam and some other Asian countries from what I heard. Most all the good stuff comes from Guangzhou and outskirt houses and such.

And to the other guy's post. I would have to agree. Bootleg electronics coming from Russia are very very sub par and you'll be lucky if it doesn't come with either or both of the following: loaded with a Russian computer virus, lasts longer than 15 minutes to a week.

It comes with lasts longer than 15 minutes to a week.

wut? :huh:

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stay off GBAtemp for a while because I'm too busy playing SMTIV, and I see this. Nice. To mirror tons of posts here "I can't wait to see what happens. I really hope it includes multi-rom support, online, current firmware compatibility, etc." It won't affect me for a while, though. After I finish SMTIV, Pokemon X and Y will almost be out, or already be out, so I've still got about a month before I crack open my Gateway again.

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Holy crap I just didn't know where to put this and wanted to share! I bought a "used" 3DS for a friend today, and when I went on to check the Firmware version expecting a 5.x or a 6.x ... Look at what I saw XD

4Gofa.jpg

Is this still common? Man, I wish I could do that NAND backup thing =( ... But even the Gateway needs 4.5 to run... Anyway =)!!!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap I just didn't know where to put this and wanted to share! I bought a "used" 3DS for a friend today, and when I went on to check the Firmware version expecting a 5.x or a 6.x ... Look at what I saw XD

Is this still common? Man, I wish I could do that NAND backup thing =( ... But even the Gateway needs 4.5 to run... Anyway =)!!!
If your 3DS is at or below 4.5, you won't need to do a NAND backup. There's no point in backing up a 1.0 firmware.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

4Gofa.jpg

nice
that version will be stripped of all E-shop and WiFi titles
so if you updated with a Card you would be able to get to 4.5.0-0

would be worth grabbing a NAND dump of the Pure original version tho
then you can always go back to it and all Firmware is always available for you

Reactions: octopus

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

4Gofa.jpg

Wow, that's the very first firmware, it even has a zero at the end, however there's no point in staying on that version so I would update to 4.5 if I were you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: When was that?