Hacking Gateway 3.0 and the 2DS: Broken and Unusable

bsellers293

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I've messed with it some more and it started acting up like it was yesterday. Using SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSD exFAT. But it has been running just fine in my 3DS XL and my son's 3DS. So it is definitely a 2DS bug of some sort.

View attachment 14180

Yeah, same here.
iz8_Q9e8_Gw_AHLj8_Qw7flhkg_Ab_Mk_JKE_Nzd40_Cbvq8m_LRUWvh_E.jpg

Reactions: cearp and DSlite2

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using a Sandisk 16GB with Fat32 format. Not having problems. Think people should post what SD card they are using in the Gateway so we can see if there is a common thingy here. I'm getting a 64GB microSD to replace my current on next week or so.

inksical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been getting the same problem with an ADATA 16GB microSD (exFAT). I would get an error saying the game card was removed after like 10 minutes.

I don't have any issues with games installed as a .cia.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Just to made sure there is no possible issues, I past this thread onto the GW team for more in-depth review and testing, to see if there could be any issues with the 2DS.

But so far reading this thread, seems to be more like an issue with the brand/type of SD Card used. -- Maybe the 2DS is more picky then other DS consoles on how it handles the SD Card Reader/Writer slot/timing.

Take Care

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to made sure there is no possible issues, I past this thread onto the GW team for more in-depth review and testing, to see if there could be any issues with the 2DS.

But so far reading this thread, seems to be more like an issue with the brand/type of SD Card used. -- Maybe the 2DS is more picky then other DS consoles on how it handles the SD Card Reader/Writer slot/timing.

Take Care

I figured we were talking about the SD card in the Gateway.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moreover, it seems you cant use the custom launcher.dat required for you to generate .xorpads to make .cia files yourself on this version of Gateway. All good though, ill find some way.

bsellers293

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using a Sandisk 16GB with Fat32 format. Not having problems. Think people should post what SD card they are using in the Gateway so we can see if there is a common thingy here. I'm getting a 64GB microSD to replace my current on next week or so.

That's a good idea. Sandisk Ultra MicroSDHC 32 GB does not work. Fragmentation error every time.

3695074_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=76;canvasWidth=105

Reactions: DSlite2

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I have a friend who has a 2DS and he was reporting the same errors you guys were. I handled him out a couple of tips I picked up from reading from just about everywhere. Here's what I told him to do.

- Format to exFAT using the 'Default Allocated Size' option in Windows Format.
- Copy 1 ROM at a time, if possible, extract directly to the root of the mSD card.
- Don't fill your mSD, leave some big headroom. You won't be playing more than 10+ games on a 64GB card, will you?
- If you have to take a game out for whatever reason, cut/paste it to somewhere on your desktop and delete it there.

Note: I forgot to ask him what his mSD was. Sorry.

There's an optional step by using Defraggler (made by those guys who made CCleaner) but from my experiences they cause more fragmentation errors than wipe them out, for some weird reason.

My friend reported back happy that his games are all working now with no more crappy bugs or whatever.

Take notice that these tips are completely not fundamented and it could all be the devils work for all I know. I just read this from various places (bits by bits) and told him to do these things. It's working now so I'll suppose these steps fixed it. :)

Cheers mates!

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States

I don't think that's the problem, considering it's an issue of the SD within the Gateway itself, and I can use it perfectly fine on my 4.5 3DS that is also running 3.0.1.

And for the reference of others, I am using the same card as pictured above, but it's the 64 GB version. Like I said, no issues on other devices.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have a friend who has a 2DS and he was reporting the same errors you guys were. I handled him out a couple of tips I picked up from reading from just about everywhere. Here's what I told him to do.

- Format to exFAT using the 'Default Allocated Size' option in Windows Format.
- Copy 1 ROM at a time, if possible, extract directly to the root of the mSD card.
- Don't fill your mSD, leave some big headroom. You won't be playing more than 10+ games on a 64GB card, will you?
- If you have to take a game out for whatever reason, cut/paste it to somewhere on your desktop and delete it there.

Note: I forgot to ask him what his mSD was. Sorry.

There's an optional step by using Defraggler (made by those guys who made CCleaner) but from my experiences they cause more fragmentation errors than wipe them out, for some weird reason.

My friend reported back happy that his games are all working now with no more crappy bugs or whatever.

Take notice that these tips are completely not fundamented and it could all be the devils work for all I know. I just read this from various places (bits by bits) and told him to do these things. It's working now so I'll suppose these steps fixed it. :)

Cheers mates!

Give it some time for the games to get messed up, then itll be back to its old nonfunctional self. Hopefully itll get fixed though. If not, im out to look for .xorpads for all my games.

edit: Using that same Sandisk Ultra mSD except the 64GB version showed a couple posts above. No dice.

blaydes99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also have problems ONLY on the 2DS system. I have three handhelds: 3DS (9.2 FW), 3DSXL (9.0.0.20 FW), and 2DS (9.2 FW).

The Launcher.dat exploit works on all three devices, and I have successfully backup up sysnand, created emunand, etc. on all three.

While running in Gateway mode, pressing SELECT to load the rom launcher/selector works as expected on the 3DS and 3DSXL, but on the 2DS it shows the message "read error". Sometimes it flashes the rom icons for a split-second but always gives the "read error" message.

I've tried multiple microSD cards, multiple brands (such as 4 GB and 32 GB), as well as FAT32 vs. exFAT file systems, and the error remains the same.

when running diagnostics on the 2DS, the same Gateway card fails the "SD test". When running diagnostics in the Gateway menu on the 3DS and 3DSXL, all tests pass.

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
Alright, my 2DS problem is a little more queer.

Mine is unable to run roms on my other 2 microSD cards, both of which are 16GB, Class 10, and of brands Samsung and Strontium.

However, it is able to run them PERFECTLY, on my Toshiba Class 4 4GB microSD I had got from my New 3DS.

Another strange thing is that I ran my Gateway card through the diagnostic test, and passed them all.

Anyone has the same issue as I have?

Huntereb

OP
Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Alright, my 2DS problem is a little more queer.

Mine is unable to run roms on my other 2 microSD cards, both of which are 16GB, Class 10, and of brands Samsung and Strontium.

However, it is able to run them PERFECTLY, on my Toshiba Class 4 4GB microSD I had got from my New 3DS.

Another strange thing is that I ran my Gateway card through the diagnostic test, and passed them all.

Anyone has the same issue as I have?

Probably another fluke. Mine tends to work occasionally, and then just dies after a while. Keep using it and see if anything changes. Maybe give it a restart and try a few other games.

blaydes99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Take Care

thanks Gary. As you said, something about how the Gateway Red card reads microsd cards while in the 2DS seems to be different. Hope to hear some news soon.

In the meantime, the 3DS and 3DSXL support is working flawlessly. A big thanks to the Gateway team.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly im really glad to see that its only a problem for the 2DS, rather than my card being defective or something haha. Idk what i'd do if i didnt have you guys on the forums to look for answers with.

until then, .cia's to go! Whats cooler is you can conveniently place them all into a folder and make it look super legit. The way this is going, i might end up going this route when the GW comes available for the N3DS, it just looks so much more... i guess you could say more organized. No having to manage the multi rom loader.

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
Probably another fluke. Mine tends to work occasionally, and then just dies after a while. Keep using it and see if anything changes. Maybe give it a restart and try a few other games.
That's where the problem lies.

I've tried formatting them, over and over, copied only one game onto them to see if they loaded. For one whole day. Nada.

The best part is that I tried using an unbranded 2GB microSD card to play Star Fox 64 3D, which was my test rom, and it worked flawlessly.

-_-;

Reactions: Huntereb

Raymond7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Omg exact same problem as you guys o_o.

I checked my micro sd card which is not fake samsung evo clAss 10 32gb

Nintendo 2ds on sysnand 9.2 emunand 9.4

I formatted the sd card like alot times... Booting into gateway mode with red card is no problem, but when launching a game, sometime at boot card removed error. Sometimes mid game randomly card removed error. Very frustrating....

I tried with 2 different micro sd cards, same problem. I think the problem isn't the sd cards. Maybe software bug or something, i dont know. Seeing alot of people here with a 2ds having same problem, makes me think of a bug

rfire90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a 32GB Sandisk Ultra mSD and my 2DS is working mostly fine.

There is one bug that I have been able to reproduce. This was while I was using emunand.

1. Press SELECT to open multirom menu.
2. Press A to pick any ROM.
3. After the game appears press SELECT to open multirom menu again.
4. Press B and the 2DS freezes and requires holding the power button to power off and reboot.

I asked my friend to try this on his 3DS XL, but instead of freezing he just can't load anymore ROMs until he restarts.

If anyone else tries these steps to see if their 2DS freezes as well, please let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps