Hacking Gateway 3.0 and the 2DS: Broken and Unusable

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It doesn't boot any room only no games found, reading error, fragmentation error

Concerning the fragmentation error, you can try to use the software defraggler, it should load faster and you shouldn't get the error anymore.

Also it depends on what sd card you are using. You should better use a sd card with class 10.

Hope this will help you !

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concerning the fragmentation error, you can try to use the software defraggler, it should load faster and you shouldn't get the error anymore.

Also it depends on what sd card you are using. You should better use a sd card with class 10.

Hope this will help you !

I've found that it's just incredibly unstable with SD cards, period. I've only managed to get a game to boot from the cart a few times, and even then it's incredibly unstable. I've tried with a 16GB Sandisk (Class 10, SDHC, all that good stuff) and it doesn't work at all. On my Fujifilm 8GB class 4 SDHC though I can get stuff working just fine, no problems at all.

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've found that it's just incredibly unstable with SD cards, period. I've only managed to get a game to boot from the cart a few times, and even then it's incredibly unstable. I've tried with a 16GB Sandisk (Class 10, SDHC, all that good stuff) and it doesn't work at all. On my Fujifilm 8GB class 4 SDHC though I can get stuff working just fine, no problems at all.

People having issues with their sd cards is probably because most of them were purchased online, and many of them are counterfeit. But definitely for the 2DS, it is indeed unstable. When Nintendo made the 2DS, they probably changed a bit the hardware.

I'm using 2 cards, one is a Scandisk 16G class 10, and a Kingston 32G class 4 which both work like a charm.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People having issues with their sd cards is probably because most of them were purchased online, and many of them are counterfeit. But definitely for the 2DS, it is indeed unstable. When Nintendo made the 2DS, they probably changed a bit the hardware.

I'm using 2 cards, one is a Scandisk 16G class 10, and a Kingston 32G class 4 which both work like a charm.

Hm, strange. I bought mine straight from Sandisk on Amazon when they had their quick half off sale. Might be something I'm doing formatting wise.

EDIT: Actually the 16GB one I bought in-store, my 32GB one I bought online is in my 3DS and is working just fine.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought both my cards online, Sandisks and I got them straight from Amazon & Newegg. Didn't go thru third party sellers because of the counterfeit problems.

Used the Panasonic SD Formatter v4 on both. Both work great in my gateway & 2DS.

Sorry others are having trouble.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same, bought SanDisk 64GB Class 10 mSD, and ive given up trying to use .3dz. .cia's give 0 problems, i might end up sticking to cia when the New 3DS comes out. Everything seems much more streamlined than the multi rom menu.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought both my cards online, Sandisks and I got them straight from Amazon & Newegg. Didn't go thru third party sellers because of the counterfeit problems.

Used the Panasonic SD Formatter v4 on both. Both work great in my gateway & 2DS.

Sorry others are having trouble.

I think my problem might actually be in the alignment of the SD card. Might try and get it aligned properly and see if that helps at all. I'd definitely recommend .cias though because saves can be very, very easily backup'd using savedatafiler for those who will be moving to a N3DS shortly. It's literally as easy as going through each entry and backing it up, copying the 'filer' folder, and restoring each save. Easy peasy.

BouncyBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think my problem might actually be in the alignment of the SD card. Might try and get it aligned properly and see if that helps at all. I'd definitely recommend .cias though because saves can be very, very easily backup'd using savedatafiler for those who will be moving to a N3DS shortly. It's literally as easy as going through each entry and backing it up, copying the 'filer' folder, and restoring each save. Easy peasy.

Even easier as .3ds files :O You just mass copy+paste all the .savs Don't have to use savedatafiller :P.

Edit: But if .3ds files aren't working for you then use the .cia's. Just pointing out the save backing is easier on .3ds's xD

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even easier as .3ds files :O You just mass copy+paste all the .savs Don't have to use savedatafiller :P.

Edit: But if .3ds files aren't working for you then use the .cia's. Just pointing out the save backing is easier on .3ds's xD

Ah, forgot that .3ds works just as well. And .3dz too I guess, but if you're having cart instability .cia is the way to go, especially if you want to decrypt/edit saves.

VKLink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the same problem guys.
In my 2DS always have the "read error" message, tried with a variety of mSD of 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb and 16gb from the brands kingston, toshiba, sandisk... 1 or 2 unbranded...
I have tried with 2 diferent red gateway cards ( that works like a charm in the 3ds XL)
And about the sd cards i tried formatting in fat32, exfat, with and without the sd formatter tool etc.

Today, gateway released the Ultra 6.0.2 when i arrive home, i'll try with that.

Greetings

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Everyone: Search up for Gateway's MicroSD Tool and use that to fix any mSD errors you might be having, could work. I have a friend with a transparent 2DS and his is working just fine.

pendra972

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all, its not à micro sd pb. Il have two 2 ds, one in v6 firwire And the other in v8 firwire. Il have also 2 gateway red card. Il have make test with several micro sd cards. each Time gateway works Well with the 2ds v8 but none with the v6 one. il have always read error. Or fragmentation error. il cant understand why.... il have make à lot off crossed test without success. its always works on one but not on the other... With same sd, micro sd, and red gateway card....il dont know what to do..... But im sure its not an micro sd pb....waiting for a gateway update..... Sry for my bad english.

Madao64

Really Useless Old man
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi all, its not à micro sd pb. Il have two 2 ds, one in v6 firwire And the other in v8 firwire. Il have also 2 gateway red card. Il have make test with several micro sd cards. each Time gateway works Well with the 2ds v8 but none with the v6 one. il have always read error. Or fragmentation error. il cant understand why.... il have make à lot off crossed test without success. its always works on one but not on the other... With same sd, micro sd, and red gateway card....il dont know what to do..... But im sure its not an micro sd pb....waiting for a gateway update..... Sry for my bad english.
Yep, it isn't. At least you're lucky enough to find some that work. Several poor souls can't even find a working mSD.

And don't worry about your English. If you think yours is bad, wait till you see the "dolan pls" comment chain on youtube. You literally have to read them out loud to understand what they mean.
-_-;

pendra972

Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK thanks i can now decomplex with my english ... :lol:

do gateway team members have this information that there are some bugs with 2ds ?
are they working on it?
hope so !!

trickz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've posted this on the official gateway forums but I wanted to point out that I have 2x 2DS. One works about 90% of the time and the other works 25% of the time. I've tried swapping MicroSDs, Internal SDs, Gateway cards and nothing has helped the 25% one. My MicroSDs are Class 10 Samsungs purchased directly Best Buy.

I've tried many things with the 25% one even going as far as formatting all data. The really strange thing about the 25% one is it'll work great for a couple of hours then completely crap out for another couple of hours for no reason (Read Errors). Even when I do get the multirom screen up and prepare to load a game, the game will freeze upon launch about half the time. Once a game is successfully launched, there has been no problems playing it for a couple of hours. Sleeping the device will also likely cause problems.

I can't believe I never thought about installing .CIAs instead. Thanks for that tip. This will help deal with the problem until Gateway releases an update.

D

Deleted User

I have a white-and-red 2DS and no issues so far with Gateway Ultra 3.0.3 and on FW 9.2. I think mine came with 5.1 stock FW.

Just wanted to point out that not all 2DS users are having problems with Gateway Ultra

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my news. My 2DS & Gateway are still working great and I'm going to get a New 3DS also. Doesn't help anyone but me!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: