• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Gas is now 5 dollars a gallon almost everywhere.

budDRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is my personal experience.
i lived in riverside county. these are my travels. Santa Clarita to banning California to orange county to Lancaster California. my job was to collect gas data/samples from landfills. google map it.

cow farts isnt the problem. $ <---

many many people in US travel to work.

Last edited by budDRY,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putin had nothing or very little to do with the gas hike. That is all on the Biden administration.
It does not matter who you blame. We have to deal with it. Gas is still too cheap for the harm it does globally. 20 bucks a gallon would be OK to make progression in alternative energies. But I guess we are getting there faster than I thought. Prices won't drop significantly any time soon that's for sure.

Reactions: SyphenFreht

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I would gladly raise the gas price to $10 a gallon if it means saving the planet.
How is raising gas prices saving the planet if there's no actual alternative?
You still need gas so you will still use it. Then you will have countries like China and India where they do not follow western standards when it comes to contamination, so it doesn't matter how much one part of the world does to fix the issue if another part keeps making it worse. The planet is a whole, it's everyone's responsibility, but I don't see many environmental NGOs in neither of those two most contaminating countries in the planet.
Why do I have to pay higher prices so that other countries can contaminate more? That doesn't sound like a solution.

Then there's also the problem that everyone who ever talks about "we need to fight global warming" are all just pushing an ideology and a bunch of baseless opinions, rarely do I ever hear anyone mentioning any scientific development, everything is about what politician we give power and how we give more power to them.

Also ignorance when it comes to actual clean energies, pushing for solar panels when they are well known contaminators, deforestators and destructors of ecosystems, while at the same time disregarding nuclear because we all saw that three eyed fish in The Simpson.

Another part of this ignorance is that most people don't even know what they are fighting. Climate Change is inevitable, we have to be prepared for it even if we deccelerate it back to normal.
The Ozone layer healed a long time ago, and deforestation is not an issue.
What we are destroying and true cause for all our issues is the ocean. Too much plastic raises acidity, killing marine life and lowering oxigen production. So it doesn't matter how little you contaminate, if our friends in the East don't also take care.

As long as people keep saying that the solution to global warming is voting for a politician rather than simply allowing scientific development to freely form without political interferience, we won't be seeing any solution any time soon.
People truely believe that a politician that's in the pocket of every big corporation that put us in this situation in the first place is somehow going to fix the issue.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
Call your senators and tell them to vote for S.3920, the Gas Price Gouging Prevention act.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/3920/text?r=1&s=1

There is no reason to be against at least an investigation into gas prices. Any senator voting against this bill, along with those in the house who already voted against the house version of the bill are actively harming the USA on purpose and should not get your vote in November, or ever.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-house-passes-bill-fight-oil-gas-price-gouging-2022-05-19/

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call your senators and tell them to vote for S.3920, the Gas Price Gouging Prevention act.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/3920/text?r=1&s=1

There is no reason to be against at least an investigation into gas prices. Any senator voting against this bill, along with those in the house who already voted against the house version of the bill are actively harming the USA on purpose and should not get your vote in November, or ever.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-house-passes-bill-fight-oil-gas-price-gouging-2022-05-19/
While its a damn good effort in your part, you need to remember at the end of the day no amount of phone calls or good will can or will overturn the power of lobbying and money, and the oil industry has pockets deeper than the earths core.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think that is expensive?! Here a LITER for Gas is 25 SEK (about 2.5$)

A Liter? [tries to convert it to gallon] Slightly less than a gallon I believe. Not good. :sad:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bah... It's not just only gas.
Yeah, gas prices are affected the most.
But inflation is everywhere, milk, clothing, a kebap, electricity... you name it, it is all going up quite fast.

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah... It's not just only gas.
Yeah, gas prices are affected the most.
But inflation is everywhere, milk, clothing, a kebap, electricity... you name it, it is all going up quite fast.

And that some of it is also because of TRUCKS that take these Products to the markets.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no need to split hairs over pointing fingers at one person being responsible for gas prices. For one, that's not true, and even some very light reading or understanding of economics reveals that.

Quick right up for anyone who actually likes educating themselves instead of making ignorant assumptions: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/gas-prices.asp

Beyond whoever I want to decide to "be mad at" due to gas prices, we've all been told from a young age that it's a resource that is disappearing. What did we really expect? I remember in middle school hearing that gas could be depleted by the time I'm in my 60s (31 now). Whether that number is perfectly accurate is irrelevant - we're gonna run out of gas, so it stands to reason that we're going to want to move away from that sooner rather than later. It gives us more options while gas is still around, and gives us time to improve alternative sources.

We live in a world of limited resources, and the more you limit a market, the more manipulation you're obviously going to see. No way around that. Beanie babies, Magic The Gathering Cards, PS5, etc. are manipulated when you have limited numbers, too. That's what draws in market manipulators. Yes, it's annoying that people do it, but they aren't the cause, they're a symptom.

So, imo, rather than being butthurt at a specific person, group, or whatever, we're better off looking at what the best way to move forward is. I got a Tesla Model S on facebook for 22K and it's been a great experience and value. Costs me roughly 30-50 bucks a month to keep it fully charged at home. I haven't had to charge at a station for more than two times in over a year. Highly recommend checking out EVs if it fits your lifestyle. It's unfortunate that the higher mileage vehicles still aren't as affordable, but as time moves on they will be.

AncientBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no need to split hairs over pointing fingers at one person being responsible for gas prices. For one, that's not true, and even some very light reading or understanding of economics reveals that.

Quick right up for anyone who actually likes educating themselves instead of making ignorant assumptions: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/gas-prices.asp

Beyond whoever I want to decide to "be mad at" due to gas prices, we've all been told from a young age that it's a resource that is disappearing. What did we really expect? I remember in middle school hearing that gas could be depleted by the time I'm in my 60s (31 now). Whether that number is perfectly accurate is irrelevant - we're gonna run out of gas, so it stands to reason that we're going to want to move away from that sooner rather than later. It gives us more options while gas is still around, and gives us time to improve alternative sources.

We live in a world of limited resources, and the more you limit a market, the more manipulation you're obviously going to see. No way around that. Beanie babies, Magic The Gathering Cards, PS5, etc. are manipulated when you have limited numbers, too. That's what draws in market manipulators. Yes, it's annoying that people do it, but they aren't the cause, they're a symptom.

So, imo, rather than being butthurt at a specific person, group, or whatever, we're better off looking at what the best way to move forward is. I got a Tesla Model S on facebook for 22K and it's been a great experience and value. Costs me roughly 38 bucks a month to keep it fully charged at home. I haven't had to charge at a station for more than two times in over a year. Highly recommend checking out EVs if it fits your lifestyle. It's unfortunate that the higher mileage vehicles still aren't affordable, but as time moves on they will be.

I shall Still Staunchly, Point my finger at the Petroleum Companies.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Gas was average $2 a gallon in the US three years ago. Were they price gouging then? If not, why not?
Nope.
Because there was no war in a white country.

They're gouging now because "Russian oil supply is limited" or whatever.
What's funny is that oil companies just rent out federal land and refuse to drill on it as another excuse for upping prices. There could be plenty of gas if some oil company just drilled for once.

Reactions: krakenx

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, imo, rather than being butthurt at a specific person, group, or whatever, we're better off looking at what the best way to move forward is. I got a Tesla Model S on facebook for 22K and it's been a great experience and value. Costs me roughly 30-50 bucks a month to keep it fully charged at home. I haven't had to charge at a station for more than two times in over a year. Highly recommend checking out EVs if it fits your lifestyle. It's unfortunate that the higher mileage vehicles still aren't as affordable, but as time moves on they will be.

Sure thing, do you have 22k to spare for a used Model S for me? How about for everyone else? If money like that was so easy to come by and sit on I think the problems we are all having right now would be a far, far away bad dream for a majority of us than what we are dealing with right now. If the solution was always to stop bitching and open our wallets we would have virtually no issues here and now. How absolutely does one have to be so far up their own arsehole to believe and happily suggest such things is just a showing of how out of touch you are with the rest of the world.

Also to further dunk on your limited reach of scope with reality, just did some searching within a 500 mile range for used Model S Tesla's and the cheapest seems to be around 32-34k between private listings, car resellers and so on. That is a 10k difference right there, and for that price I could buy a decent mid-range brand new. That's just not logically sound to buy something that much that is used. I am sure with many others here its probably not that much better with pricing.

Finally the stations themselves are nice to have when you live somewhere where they are fully deployed. Some states/territories are still slacking hard in this department. Hell, some states even ban the sale of Teslas. Can't push the EV future now if there are whole states limiting their sale and therefor resale. Other EV options are strictly limited as well, with pricing pushing a premium mindset for a car that most people should by all right should be able to affordably own if the care about making the future a better place is and has ever been the intention here, and not just selling these as a form of premium vehicle so the average person could never own one and will forever have to rely on fossil fuels.

There is much to have problems with the world here. A lot of those problems exist because entites can just open their wallets like you and just make the problem go away for them. It does not work for everyone, just those who are privileged enough to make it so for them.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure thing, do you have 22k to spare for a used Model S for me? How about for everyone else? If money like that was so easy to come by and sit on I think the problems we are all having right now would be a far, far away bad dream for a majority of us than what we are dealing with right now. If the solution was always to stop bitching and open our wallets we would have virtually no issues here and now. How absolutely does one have to be so far up their own arsehole to believe and happily suggest such things is just a showing of how out of touch you are with the rest of the world.

Also to further dunk on your limited reach of scope with reality, just did some searching within a 500 mile range for used Model S Tesla's and the cheapest seems to be around 32-34k between private listings, car resellers and so on. That is a 10k difference right there, and for that price I could buy a decent mid-range brand new. That's just not logically sound to buy something that much that is used. I am sure with many others here its probably not that much better with pricing.

Finally the stations themselves are nice to have when you live somewhere where they are fully deployed. Some states/territories are still slacking hard in this department. Hell, some states even ban the sale of Teslas. Can't push the EV future now if there are whole states limiting their sale and therefor resale. Other EV options are strictly limited as well, with pricing pushing a premium mindset for a car that most people should by all right should be able to affordably own if the care about making the future a better place is and has ever been the intention here, and not just selling these as a form of premium vehicle so the average person could never own one and will forever have to rely on fossil fuels.

There is much to have problems with the world here. A lot of those problems exist because entites can just open their wallets like you and just make the problem go away for them. It does not work for everyone, just those who are privileged enough to make it so for them.
You should read my post more carefully. I can see how you went down the path of "appleburger thinks the answer is that he got a tesla", but that's not what I was trying to say at all lol.

"Stop bitching" is not the takeaway there. Nor is "you all should get a tesla". I was in the market for it, and 22k was not unreasonable over a year ago after selling my gas car. I said looking at alternative solutions is more productive than pointing fingers at a single person over a non-renewable resource becoming over priced. My little sister Door Dashes for a living and got herself an EV, too. She's saving money overall, one year later. If you sell a gas car and take a personal loan on a used EV, plenty are very affordable. The rates are crazy good on them, too.

Your search aligns with what's here in Georgia. Again, you're making assumptions and didn't carefully read the post. I didn't write when I even bought the car. I bought it over a year ago and got lucky with the price. They were going for about 28k at the time. It had 160k miles on it, but these cars can go way over in mileage compared to gas cars.

Fourthly, I said pretty explicitly that I charge the car at home. I don't know why you're talking about superchargers. You don't need superchargers - like I said, I've only had to use one twice. You can just hook up the same line you would for a camper. Not to mention there are plenty of chargers you can use with an adapter.

And once again - I highly recommend checking out EVs if it fits your lifestyle.
if it fits your lifestyle.
if it fits your lifestyle.

I can understand some of what I said coming across as ambiguous and where that could lead to a misunderstanding, but I don't think you gave my post a fair shake at all. I'm well aware that EVs aren't ready for everyone yet. I do think people that are privileged enough to make them work should really consider it.

I wholeheartedly agree that it sucks gas is so expensive and unreliable. I'm just saying it's not going to get any better and EVs are becoming a good option for a lot of people. I'm confident they're going to be fully adopted by the time gas becomes an even more serious crisis.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the government started putting price caps or even complete nationalization of gas, I wonder how many people here would complain about messing with the "free market" instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol