ROM Hack Ganbare Goemon DS TRANSLATED

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Sup guys, I just came to drop buy on this dead thread and say that Ganbare Goemon is awesome series. It needs more attention worldwide
Why the necrobump. Last post is 3 years old...
Anyway
The 4 titles on SNES are great and the 2 on the N64 as well, the second one on the N64 has aged incredibly well and features one of my favorite VG soundtracks of all time.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Well then it will need some ASM work on the VWF for regular dialogs...
and a heavy rewrite for the text printing routine for the chapter intro sequences:

136645373951.png

I know this is unlikely (work on the third and fourth SNES games just started, and I might as well wish for Sigma Harmonics or the Atamania series in English) but this game is awesome and definitely warrants the effort.
It plays more like a more refined version of the first N64 game in the series.
It even has a functional scene select debug menu (with AR codes).

BTW The thread OP is a douche.

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Why the necrobump. Last post is 3 years old...
Anyway
The 4 titles on SNES are great and the 2 on the N64 as well, the second one on the N64 has aged incredibly well and features one of my favorite VG soundtracks of all time.

Its fun finding old threads and starting discussions there ^ ^

My favourite of them all has to be Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES). It has some Super Mario World elements, but it was more chellanging. Also That game introduced something epic. The Impact. His crazy smile is just amazing, and boss fights with him are awesome. As for Goemon Games on NES, They are ok, but nothing too spectacular like SNES ones. N64 games were step in right direction with amazing Impact theme song. I don't know what happened later because Goemon reboot on PS2 was not very well recived. Some later games like Blue Dragon used elements from PS2 Goemon.

Notshane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this thread is now eight years old, but since there are more people here and I know a new thread would die quickly...

I still think someone should try to translate this game. I voted for Goemon in Sm4sh and I believe that he had great games, but nobody recognized them due to failed localization attempts and overall laziness from Konami in general to even try a thing with it.

If he appears in Sm4sh, he could be resurrected for the future. He did majorly appear on Nintendo systems anyway, so why not? I say he can make it.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Ganbare Goemon is dead, sadly.
Most Konami Kobe staff were fired shortly after the 2000 PS2 game.
The talent that remained for the DS game joined them after in Good-Feel (now doing Nintendo games, including tons of Gradius/Bonk/Goemon musical/level design homages and general genius game design).

If you think how Konami is treating Castlevania/MGS/Silent Hills is bad, well, one cancelled PS3 Goemon game got its "only graphical" dead husk used as a skin for a pachinko slot series in 2009, alongside another of their casualties, Tengai Makyou. They didn't fare too well, and guess what, they're now all but officially dead, outside of the four SFC games being licensed by NCL regularly for their VC releases (and the first one being released worldwide).

Also, if you're hoping anything good could come from this poisoned thread, there's no use in this.

Notshane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ganbare Goemon is dead, sadly.
Most Konami Kobe staff were fired shortly after the 2000 PS2 game.
The talent that remained for the DS game joined them after in Good-Feel (now doing Nintendo games, including tons of Gradius/Bonk/Goemon musical/level design homages and general genius game design).

If you think how Konami is treating Castlevania/MGS/Silent Hills is bad, well, one cancelled PS3 Goemon game got its "only graphical" dead husk used as a skin for a pachinko slot series in 2009, alongside another of their casualties, Tengai Makyou. They didn't fare too well, and guess what, they're now all but officially dead, outside of the four SFC games being licensed by NCL regularly for their VC releases (and the first one being released worldwide).

Also, if you're hoping anything good could come from this poisoned thread, there's no use in this.

I still think there is hope for Goemon. If he can somehow make it into Sm4sh as DLC, which he has a VERY high demand for in Japan, I can see something happening to him. At the very most, a localization of the remaining Super Nintendo titles and the remaining two Nintendo 64 ones on Virtual Console. That would at least give him a proper legacy, especially if he somehow makes it into Sm4sh.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I still think there is hope for Goemon. If he can somehow make it into Sm4sh as DLC, which he has a VERY high demand for in Japan, I can see something happening to him. At the very most, a localization of the remaining Super Nintendo titles and the remaining two Nintendo 64 ones on Virtual Console. That would at least give him a proper legacy, especially if he somehow makes it into Sm4sh.

Japanese fans could care less about the Super Famicom games being localized for international audiences.
And they already have them released over there. Nothing new for them.
Considering the fan votes didn't save Snake, who has already a 3D model and moveset ready, Goemon who's niche even in Japan doesn't really stand a chance.
Tengai Makyou RPG series was in the top ten all time best games polls for two decades, did that save it from being reduced to a pachinko skin? No.

Goemon does indeed have a long legacy, just in Japan.
That it isn't localized doesn't mean that legacy doesn't exist.

VC games getting localized would take the publisher being passionate about the project and with the manpower to do so
a combination that was reached with Monster World 4 since M2 already handled the VC emulators themselves and could take that extra mile, Atlus pre-merger wanted to go back and localize those GBA SMT games but couldn't so they had to insert their translation in a new iOS port, and even that wasn't without difficulty.
Konami isn't even passionate enough about using Goemon as a pachinko skin, it's deader than dead for them at this point.

Last edited by GHANMI,
Reactions: Pablitox

Notshane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Japanese fans could care less about the Super Famicom games being localized for international audiences.
And they already have them released over there. Nothing new for them.
Considering the fan votes didn't save Snake, who has already a 3D model and moveset ready, Goemon who's niche even in Japan doesn't really stand a chance.
Tengai Makyou RPG series was in the top ten all time best games polls for two decades, did that save it from being reduced to a pachinko skin? No.

Goemon is among the top voted characters in Japan, you know.

http://i.imgur.com/JW5q8Xv.png

Goemon does indeed have a long legacy, just in Japan.
That it isn't localized doesn't mean that legacy doesn't exist.

Someone has been trying to localize the Super Nintendo sequels recently, so at least I have some hope that I can play them one day.

VC games getting localized would take the publisher being passionate about the project and with the manpower to do so
a combination that was reached with Monster World 4 since M2 already handled the VC emulators themselves and could take that extra mile, Atlus pre-merger wanted to go back and localize those GBA SMT games but couldn't so they had to insert their translation in a new iOS port, and even that wasn't without difficulty.
Konami isn't even passionate enough about using Goemon as a pachinko skin, it's deader than dead for them at this point.

Yeah. I heard that Pachinko game had cut-scenes intended for a PS3 Goemon game that was cancelled. But, who knows, maybe they will try to put the Nintendo 64 titles onto the Virtual Console since EVERYONE loved those. They are memorable, have great soundtracks and have very positive reception. The west saw Goemon only three times, but loved him every time; with the first time still having critical acclaim and that is a milestone for an obscure series to have.

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need help finding the text in the goemon rom. I have decompressed it and have just started looking all the files. I noticed many dat files, lz files, and RL files. I tried to go through some other posts but I cannot locate any files they reference where the text might be located.

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using crystaltile2 and have located the text. I noticed that the text in the editor does not match what I see on the title screen. Would it be best to change the bits?

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update so far, I have figured out why the text is different. I found out the table I was using is wrong. Looks like I will have to build my own to see the text proper. Now I'm trying to debug the game and see where the text is located. If I can assign the bits correctly the the text then I should be good to go.

One thing I noticed while going through the decompressed game is that it is setup vastly different from the other DS games. Most tutorials mention locating the nscr or carc files. Goemon doesn't have any of these. I tried other methods to get at the sprites but they also don't appear to be working.

SubLoverD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update so far, I have figured out why the text is different. I found out the table I was using is wrong. Looks like I will have to build my own to see the text proper. Now I'm trying to debug the game and see where the text is located. If I can assign the bits correctly the the text then I should be good to go.

One thing I noticed while going through the decompressed game is that it is setup vastly different from the other DS games. Most tutorials mention locating the nscr or carc files. Goemon doesn't have any of these. I tried other methods to get at the sprites but they also don't appear to be working.

If you need more help with it i would suggest asking around to translators and editors as i happen to love this series i would really like to help in some way but am unable asides from making a suggestion like this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: