GameStop Now Selling "Retro" Games and Consoles

gamestop.png

Yep, you read that right, GameStop is now offering retro games and systems, both available in stores and online! At the moment, they have NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Genesis and even Dreamcast games up for sale, and at this time they also have PS1, SNES, and Genesis consoles up for sale as well, each under or about $40-$50.

You can find controllers and memory cards as well (though at this time some are either sold out or aren't available online), and the games range from popular titles such as Final Fantasy, all sorts of Mario games, Hey You! Pikachu with Microphone (so tempting to buy!), Spyro games, Crash Bandicoot games and much more, and their prices aren't even that bad, either! Most either match or are slightly above average eBay prices, making some of these purchases a real steal.

You can check out the retro stuff they offer in the source link below.

I ended up buying some PS1 games, to add on to my collection, and I imagine I'll be spending some more of my money on other retro games as well in the upcoming months!

:arrow:Store Page
:arrow:Source

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

artur3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm working in a german gamestop branch and hoping that gamestop germany introduce retro concole as well

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what the trade in value for my cheetahmen 2 cart is? or my Caltron 6 in 1 lol. probly $10 for
a $750 game. I only spent $35 on my Cheethamen 2 cart and $8 for my caltron 6 in 1 lol.
no way it trade them in.
And what is the trade in value for a gold NWC Cart that is worth $25,000? lol probly $80 knowing gamestop.....

I do like them selling retro again. Some of the prices are lower then the noobs on amazon.com/ebay
I wonder what their price for Megaman x3 is. It going for like $160
there is actual competition now.
They also better be replacing the SRAM CR-2023 battery in those RPG Carts. The batteries in super mario kart carts are more then 24 years old...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what the trade in value for my cheetahmen 2 cart is? or my Caltron 6 in 1 lol. probly $10 for
a $750 game. I only spent $35 on my Cheethamen 2 cart and $8 for my caltron 6 in 1 lol.
no way it trade them in.
And what is the trade in value for a gold NWC Cart that is worth $25,000? lol probly $80 knowing gamestop.....

I do like them selling retro again. Some of the prices are lower then the noobs on amazon.com/ebay
I wonder what their price for Megaman x3 is. It going for like $160
there is actual competition now.
They also better be replacing the SRAM CR-2023 battery in those RPG Carts. The batteries in super mario kart carts are more then 24 years old...

That's exactly the biggest concern I have, either they do replace them, or you have to replace them yourself. There are online services that can do that for ya, but they aren't cheap.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly the biggest concern I have, either they do replace them, or you have to replace them yourself. There are online services that can do that for ya, but they aren't cheap.

Those batteries are actually easy to replace. There is 2 solder joints. The battery in there is the tab version. You can buy replacement batteries that have the tabs for like $5. Or you can solder a battery slot in the cart so you wont have to solder new batteries again. (PC mother boards have the perfect battery slots) I did that on my friends n64 Mem card. All n64 mem cards have batteries as well. A few n64 games have batteries also and i think Zelda oot is one of them. Mario kart 64 has a EEProm so no worries there.

Also almost all the NES Zelda 1 carts have depleted batteries. 30+ years is a little to long for a Cr-2023 to power a SRAM Chip.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 step ahead of you. Got a n64 flashcart and looking to get a nes,snes and genesis flashcart. I would like to own as many original carts as i can but with the prices of the games these days it is cheaper in the long run to get flashcarts. :)
Yeah, I've got flashcarts for all those consoles as well as GB, GBA, and NDS. Still waiting for a good 3DS flashcart.

Yugimumoto1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad i still have my retro shop i go to. kinda wished they had the new stuff too but i shouldn't complain. the prices are extremely good to

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those batteries are actually easy to replace. There is 2 solder joints. The battery in there is the tab version. You can buy replacement batteries that have the tabs for like $5. Or you can solder a battery slot in the cart so you wont have to solder new batteries again. (PC mother boards have the perfect battery slots) I did that on my friends n64 Mem card. All n64 mem cards have batteries as well. A few n64 games have batteries also and i think Zelda oot is one of them. Mario kart 64 has a EEProm so no worries there.

Also almost all the NES Zelda 1 carts have depleted batteries. 30+ years is a little to long for a Cr-2023 to power a SRAM Chip.

I'd rather avoid soldering (since I suck at it, that, and I haven't really had a chance to actually solder anything), I guess I could do it with the tab batteries, I've games like Final Fantasy V, VI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc that all had their batteries die off. With them replaced though, they'll last a good 10-15 years :P

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NES games are 10 years older than these PS1 games, and they haven't gone back to $2.
But now retro is "cool". It's going to go blammo as soon as everyone and their granma start selling retro because it's the "new thing" and everyone wants to make a buck out if it. Market saturation.

I wouldn't trust a GameStop for pricing any day, but a lot of these older games can retain quite some value if there's a lot of demand for them and/or if they are rare and hard to find. Age doesn't have much to do with it.
But there wasn't a value attached to them just 10 years ago. They were "old games" and that was it. The entire "scene" killed the stuff for the true retrogamers. People who like to play games do not want to pay $200 only to keep them on a shelf to have bragging rights on the internet.

"dude I have all the SNES games LO!LOLO!LO!OL!OL!".

If you do something for passion, you're not inclined to spend $200 on it - it's just an hobby after all.

Everdrive to the rescue!
Indeed, after all nobody is going to lose money if you pirate old cartridges. If you want to support a company buy a re-release, but used games benefit nobody but scalpers. That's why I do not buy any old game that costs more than $5.

I do the same on Steam as well - I never buy past the $10 boundary, but I'm now approaching 600 games in my Library. Pay less, buy a lot. Everyone's happy.

Trust me, if everyone did the same thing as me, game companies would NEED to lower their prices to sell. Same thing goes for the retro. As long as there are fools who are easily parted with their money, the prices are going to be kept artifically high.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But now retro is "cool". It's going to go blammo as soon as everyone and their granma start selling retro because it's the "new thing" and everyone wants to make a buck out if it. Market saturation.

But there wasn't a value attached to them just 10 years ago. They were "old games" and that was it. The entire "scene" killed the stuff for the true retrogamers. People who like to play games, do not want to pay $200 only to keep them on a shelf to have bragging rights on the internet.

"dude I have all the SNES games LO!LOLO!LO!OL!OL!".

If you do something for passion, you're not inclined to spend $200 on it - it's just an hobby after all.

Indeed, after all nobody is going to lose money if you pirate old cartridges. If you want to support a company buy a re-release, but used games benefit nobody but scalpers. That's why I do not buy any old game that costs more than $5.

I do the same on Steam as well - I never buy past the $10 boundary, but I'm now approaching 600 games in my Library. Pay less, buy a lot. Everyone's happy.

Trust me, if everyone did the same thing as me, game companies would NEED to lower their prices to sell. Same thing goes for the retro. As long as there are fools who are easily parted with their money, the prices are going to be kept artifically high.

All I have to say on this is, QFMFT, that's my reasoning behind retro games and ROM downloads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work