GameStop Now Selling "Retro" Games and Consoles

gamestop.png

Yep, you read that right, GameStop is now offering retro games and systems, both available in stores and online! At the moment, they have NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Genesis and even Dreamcast games up for sale, and at this time they also have PS1, SNES, and Genesis consoles up for sale as well, each under or about $40-$50.

You can find controllers and memory cards as well (though at this time some are either sold out or aren't available online), and the games range from popular titles such as Final Fantasy, all sorts of Mario games, Hey You! Pikachu with Microphone (so tempting to buy!), Spyro games, Crash Bandicoot games and much more, and their prices aren't even that bad, either! Most either match or are slightly above average eBay prices, making some of these purchases a real steal.

You can check out the retro stuff they offer in the source link below.

I ended up buying some PS1 games, to add on to my collection, and I imagine I'll be spending some more of my money on other retro games as well in the upcoming months!

:arrow:Store Page
:arrow:Source

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But now retro is "cool". It's going to go blammo as soon as everyone and their granma start selling retro because it's the "new thing" and everyone wants to make a buck out if it. Market saturation.

But there wasn't a value attached to them just 10 years ago. They were "old games" and that was it. The entire "scene" killed the stuff for the true retrogamers. People who like to play games do not want to pay $200 only to keep them on a shelf to have bragging rights on the internet.

"dude I have all the SNES games LO!LOLO!LO!OL!OL!".

If you do something for passion, you're not inclined to spend $200 on it - it's just an hobby after all.

Indeed, after all nobody is going to lose money if you pirate old cartridges. If you want to support a company buy a re-release, but used games benefit nobody but scalpers. That's why I do not buy any old game that costs more than $5.

I do the same on Steam as well - I never buy past the $10 boundary, but I'm now approaching 600 games in my Library. Pay less, buy a lot. Everyone's happy.

Trust me, if everyone did the same thing as me, game companies would NEED to lower their prices to sell. Same thing goes for the retro. As long as there are fools who are easily parted with their money, the prices are going to be kept artifically high.

Goddamn; I couldn't have put it better myself. Emulation has also saved so many games from complete obscurity, namely Japan-only games like Seiken Densetsu 3 and a million others, also Mother 3. When buiying older games you are correct that you're only support scalpers rather than the people that actually made the game, so why not either DL ROMs or buy reproduction carts if you can find em for cheap? Awesome post.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can not condone repros and have no love for the repro making set, especially those that also deal in hacks.

That said I am also of the "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay" mindset so I have no great problem with the reseller types charging people there. I do wonder why people pay the prices they do but this is why I make/fix things rather than sell them.

Aliahan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does Gamestop get their retro stock? They would have to offer a fair deal on trade in prices and not, "I'll give you $5 for that Symphony of the Night game because it's a PSone game". They would have to rely on the customers who don't take the time to check what they have and assume that a Chrono Trigger cart has the same value as a sports game. So basically, they can either have cheap, unwanted games for sale or desirable but highly marked up games. Either way, it's a vast difference from 10 years ago when asking I asked a gaming store if they'll buy my boxed Pokemon Red game and they said, "no, we don't want them". So glad I didn't sell.
You realize most people who trade in either don't care about the real value, or really don't have any idea what it's worth?
That's why it works so well. Most kids don't care, hell I never used to. I'd bring a stack of games with me just to get a cheaper price on a new game.
I was actually really tempted (and still am) to put an ad in the newspaper to buy retro games because i'm quite certain i'd make a killing off of peoples ignorance.
I used to work for Gamestop, and prices have always been based on supply, not how "good" the game is. The really hard to find and/or niche games are usually relatively high-value trades. But Madden games are always garbage unless you're trading in the current year's game at least a few months before the next one drops. But regardless of the game's value, Gamestop only pays you around 20-45% of what they're gonna sell it for. So bear that in mind, the "value" I'm talking about is all relative to what Gamestop pays for any game, on average, which is never as much as you'd get selling it to a customer yourself, like on eBay or whatever. But ain't nobody got time for that. Hence, Gamestop's used games revenues.

The prices and trade in values always correspond to how many copies get traded in company-wide, so some cult games are worth quite a bit. Not many people own them, those that do don't want to sell them, and those who want them are willing to pay what they're worth. Old Pokemon games: always valuable. People tend to hang onto them, and they're always in demand. Whether it's some kid wanting to play an old Pokemon adventure he missed out on 'cuz he was a fetus at the time of release, or a competitive player wanting to breed a legit Clefairy with Soft-Boiled, there's always someone willing to pay $30+ for them.

So it's mostly based on supply and demand, not necessarily quality. AAA titles usually end up going in the bargain bin within a year since so many people bought them and traded them in for other big releases. So sometimes that's pretty cool when you're buying, not so much when trading. Like, Borderlands 2 (non-GotY) is only $5. If you traded it in you'd maybe get $1, the less the game's worth, the less % they'll give you. That doesn't mean it's a crappy game. It just means they have too many of them.

I learned my lesson working there, I almost never buy huge releases new anymore. Waste of $60. If I just wait a year chances are they'll cost half as much. On the other hand if I want, say, whatever odd game Atlus decided to localize that nobody's aware of, I know to reserve a copy 'cuz it'll be a pain in the ass to find later. Shit's situational.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can not condone repros and have no love for the repro making set, especially those that also deal in hacks.

That said I am also of the "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay" mindset so I have no great problem with the reseller types charging people there. I do wonder why people pay the prices they do but this is why I make/fix things rather than sell them.

tbh I don't know much about the repro market as I have never purchased a reproduction cart myself. Flashcarts would be a better option anyway if you want to use real HW. It is a little slimy to make money off of someone else's work by selling repro carts though, and I was really just using repros as an example of 1 way to preserve old games without really thinking about my post. You make some good points though; I posted that earlier reply too quickly without thinking. Flash carts are much better, although they do have flaws.(SNES flashcarts can't play SuperFX or SA-1 enhanced games for example)

There are countless games that would've been completely lost and forgotten if it weren't for emulation, especially arcade games.

D

Deleted User

I'm fine with repros of really rare/expensive games if they're made for personal use and are never sold on sites like eBay and are claimed to be real copies.
I'm also fine with repro carts that have ROM hacks or completely original games on them, and I'm also kinda fine with people selling carts with custom games on them. Just not ROM hacks/translations.
tbh I don't know much about the repro market as I have never purchased a reproduction cart myself. Flashcarts would be a better option anyway if you want to use real HW. It is a little slimy to make money off of someone else's work by selling repro carts though, and I was really just using repros as an example of 1 way to preserve old games without really thinking about my post. You make some good points though; I posted that earlier reply too quickly without thinking. Flash carts are much better, although they do have flaws.(SNES flashcarts can't play SuperFX or SA-1 enhanced games for example)

There are countless games that would've been completely lost and forgotten if it weren't for emulation, especially arcade games.
I only know a bit about the reproduction cart market and what goes on in them, a lot of the repros I see are of English-language translations of games in Japanese or other languages. I've also seen repros of things like the Donkey Kong Country Tournament/Competition cartridge, and those are pretty hard to find, there's a pretty limited amount of them, so making repros of carts like that makes a lot of sense, but I still am against selling them.
There are quite a few MOTHER and MOTHER 3 English translation repros floating around on eBay.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fine with repros of really rare/expensive games if they're made for personal use and are never sold on sites like eBay and are claimed to be real copies.
I'm also fine with repro carts that have ROM hacks or completely original games on them, and I'm also kinda fine with people selling carts with custom games on them. Just not ROM hacks/translations.

I only know a bit about the reproduction cart market and what goes on in them, a lot of the repros I see are of English-language translations of games in Japanese or other languages. I've also seen repros of things like the Donkey Kong Country Tournament/Competition cartridge, and those are pretty hard to find, there's a pretty limited amount of them, so making repros of carts like that makes a lot of sense, but I still am against selling them.
There are quite a few MOTHER and MOTHER 3 English translation repros floating around on eBay.

Personal use repros just sounds like a less useful variation on the theme of flash cart.

"carts with custom games on them" if by that you mean homebrew and unlicensed games then absolutely.

The ROM hacks thing is more that the repro makers often do disguise them, are almost never the hackers that made the thing in the first place (and watch the credit, or lack thereof), are almost always easy stage/non bugfixed versions, usually look like they have been soldered by a blind monkey going through withdrawal and generally not good like that. ROM hacking is already in pretty iffy territory and when money gets involved is when lawyers start to appear (courts are surprisingly unhelpful if you just want to take a stand and do not have some kind of monetary damages in mind).

Some seem to take issue with games being gutted to use as donors but that does not bother me.

I kind of follow the older game repro market, mainly as it gives me a good giggle from time to time, but it looks like I will have to go back and look at the GBA stuff after the events of the other day ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-this-a-legit-pal-copy-of-ninja-cop-ninja-five-o.390496/ ).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am actually ok with this since they started putting up games like Digimon World for really cheap. Which is nice because it means that they will help bring down the price for some of the more expensive games.
Seriously Digimon World was like 80$ used on Amazon, Gamestop is selling it for $39.99. That will seriously help drive down the price in other retailers.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: GameWinner

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The two games I ordered came in today.

Legend of Legaia:
Complete, multi-disc sized case but only a single disc game (such an odd combo, but it's obviously the original setup). The front of the case does have some deep cracks unfortunately, but if ever needed, I'm sure I could find an appropriate case to transplant it into.

Symphony of the Night:
Also complete, single disc sized case. There are some shallow cracks on the front of the case, but nothing too bad. The back artwork does look a little wavy, like it may have gotten wet at some point.

All in all, I'd rate their quality at about a 7/10. Both could ultimately use a case replacement, and SotN's back artwork could probably do with being pressed under something heavy for awhile. Otherwise I'm satisfied with the quality of my purchase.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fixed. :creep:

I'm a bit surprised this is a thing. The problem with large scale retro games is the huge amount of inventory you'll have to keep in order for it to be profitable. The good old Mario, Spyro and Crash games will sell just by the name, but more obscure and less successful games will dive down like hell. I wonder how long this will last and how large of an inventory they'll get :unsure:
They probably have warehouses full of retro games and systems just sitting there. I don't see any other reason they'd suddenly start selling the stuff.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameStop is running a a buy 2 get 1 free on anything pre-owned, and it includes their retro content. I just ordered Super Mario 3, DK Country, And DK Country 2.

Will report back on how the labels are, but between a gift card I've had since Xmas and a $5 coupon, I only ended up paying $5 for everything so, yayayayay~

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Couple days ago I saw an auction of Conker Bad Fur Day for N64 fully boxed sold for about £150, like what in the hell?! Sure it's out of print and rare but I'd never justify to pay so much for a single game, it's absurd!

Rare Replay Collection (Xbox One exclusive) is coming out soon so it should make it easier for people to play a legal copy and own.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I'll be picking up where I left off with the ps1 spyro series

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

sucks it only gamestop because there is no game stop in NZ. I just hope that EB games see this and start selling old gba games i would shed tears of joy.

Eb games is owned by GameStop so will likely do it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...