Games you think are perfect

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Megaman Battle Network series is definitely fit for me. It correctively mixes action elements into rpg elements (not to be mistaken with action rpgs; it's totally different). Basically, you and your opponent(s) are each given a 3*3 area to move upon, and you are supposed to use battle chips, each with a unique effect, damage (there are supportive/damage-less ones, as well), distance, and movement pattern, to defeat those enemies. There are approximately 150~250ish battle cards per game, and are divided into standard, mega, and giga chips. Each chip has a set of given letters (A-Z + asterisk) and for each turn in battle, you can only chose one letter to use (i.e. if you have 3 A chips and 2 B chips, you can only use either the 3 A chips or the 2 B chips for the turn). Asterisk can be used with any letter. This makes creating the 30-chip folder very fun and original to others' folders. Collecting chips is also very (time-consuming) but fun.

And what makes it perfect is that most of the battle is based on skill, rather than customization or how strong your Megaman is. No matter how strong your battle cards are, or how much HP your Megaman has, your skill on defeating the enemy is highly required. The difficulty cannot be changed, but it's very noob-friendly and the difficulty curve from the beginning to end (and after the end) is very well-set; once you learn the basics, you can build up on that and increase your skills, preparing for more formidable enemies ahead.

Multiplayer is uber fun, in which your skill really plays a big role. Your megaman's stats or folder might be much weaker than your adversary's, but you have a chance of winning by effectively dodging/reading your enemies moves and timing each of your attacks.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
heygbatemp.png

Jokes aside, I guess that FF VII will settle for me. There's not a single thing I'd change of it.

Skyrim is also a close call. What an awesome game.

I'm not naming other games because I'm pretty sure that nostalgia-tinted glasses would prejudice my choice.

Reactions: 5 people

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Pokemon Gold/Silver (Not the remakes, kiddies)

Super Mario World

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

Sly Cooper and the Thevius Raccoonus

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Well since everybody has an opinion on 'certain' games where they can't find a flaw inside the game itself. I have to say that one game I enjoy and define as 'perfect' is...

256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

That's right this game is perfect and I don't see any flaws nor glitches from the gameplay and storyline. Most people who played it can't even comprehend the sheer genius that SEGA has put into this game alone.

You complain about awful programming and cheap deaths?! I counter your idiotic excuse and point out that this game has PERCISE platforming. The programmer wants you to know that you can't go anywhere without any trial and error. As you go through the levels you need to learn from your mistakes in order to advance through the level. You can't go fast on the first level unless you want to die before you go through your first loop-de-loop, this game also have 'mach-speed' sections before the end of every level. Then you enter the cutscenes which gives that 'cinema' feel towards it. Each character displays certain emotions that causes them to develop instead of feeling as a one-sided character. As you progress through the game you notice that Sonic is having a friendly relationship with the Princess of Soleanna, Elise without going into too much thought about his internal feels for her. This game will be rememebered as SEGA's best troll bait game ever.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well since everybody has an opinion on 'certain' games where they can't find a flaw inside the game itself. I have to say that one game I enjoy and define as 'perfect' is...

256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

That's right this game is perfect and I don't see any flaws nor glitches from the gameplay and storyline. Most people who played it can't even comprehend the sheer genius that SEGA has put into this game alone.

You complain about awful programming and cheap deaths?! I counter your idiotic excuse and point out that this game has PERCISE platforming. The programmer wants you to know that you can't go anywhere without any trial and error. As you go through the levels you need to learn from your mistakes in order to advance through the level. You can't go fast on the first level unless you want to die before you go through your first loop-de-loop, this game also have 'mach-speed' sections before the end of every level. Then you enter the cutscenes which gives that 'cinema' feel towards it. Each character displays certain emotions that causes them to develop instead of feeling as a one-sided character. As you progress through the game you notice that Sonic is having a friendly relationship with the Princess of Soleanna, Elise without going into too much thought about his internal feels for her. This game will be rememebered as SEGA's best troll bait game ever.

I am a die-hard Sonic fan but you are, with all due respect, full of c*rap. I can't count how many times I fell through the floor in that piece of gar... *reads the small print*

Well-played. >>

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mario land 3
super mario galaxy 1
super mario 64
super mario world
donkey kong country 1
mario kart 64
sonic adventure 1
super meat boy
all pokemon games before GBA
The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin
new super mario bros both the wii and ds one.
HALO 1

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright here's my list:
Super Mario World 3
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Maybe HeartGold/SoulSilver in here too.)
Megaman X/X2
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Zelda Skyward Sword
Spyro Series for the PSone
Crash Bandicoot (The first one for the PSone)
Pokemon Stadium 1/2
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Sonic Adventure (for Dreamcast)

Umm I'm sure I'll have more...

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Perfect for being within the restrictions of the systems they were released on. They are still GREAT FUN to play to this day and probably will be forever:
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X
Super Punch Out, Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Mario Kart: Double Dash

Games which I really love, but are far from perfect (some should be played thru once, others can really be enjoyed numerous times):
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9 (They each have their tedious grinding parts & slower pacing which sort of takes away alittle fun. But the amazing amount of great music, content & story has not been surpassed by any game to this day in my oppinion)
Secret of Mana & Seiken Densetsu 3 (Both with flawed item system and poor spell system. But I love the action-rpg setting in the these games. Just that it's not 100% executed)
Mega Man 1, Mega Man 4 (They just didn't feel as polished as 2 and 3, even tho they're mostly the same)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic) - I find the character physics a bit too annoying. Toad always felt best to play, but it sucks he jumps not too high. It had it's variations in level and monster design but somehow I felt it lacked.
Faxanadu (The whole equipment system was neat, but definatly needed working. If you equip helmet before anything else, you're screwed :) )
Breath of Fire 2 (I didn't play the first too much so I can't say about that, nor the iterations after. But 2 was a great game, but it felt like it needed a bit grinding and battles felt alittle sluggish)
Doom 2 (it's really plagued with limitations, but it's still probably the FPS I've spent most time in my life on)
Zelda - Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, 1, 2, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword (I'm not going to go in on detail on why they're not perfect, but they each have their not so great parts)
Quake 1 & 3 (If I fire up these today I'm always thinking, fuck-aweful graphics, but the gameplay itself is pretty much perfected)
Perfect Dark & Golden Eye (Slowdown-game nr 1, box-face, do I really need to keep naming the bad parts?)
Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim (Faaaaaaaaar from perfect, but really enjoyable games)
Heroes of Newerth (Perfect in gameplay, but setting up games, dropping out, rejoining etc all have problems. Then there's the rage which comes from competitive ultra-fast paced games (sure it's slow in the beginning but what you do a few minutes or seconds ago will affect 100% the outcome of the game which makes this pretty much the most competitive game in history. sometimes you can't win because you couldn't pick the right hero combo to match your enemies. that is ofcourse, if you are on same skill level as the opponents))

I can keep this on forever, so I'm just going to stop here.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Also, Chrono Cross, Tales Of Symphonia (1), Mario 3 nes, Yoshi's Island (snes), FF:CC (storyline) and I could go on...

!! Forgot to mention Megaman X series... from X1 to X6 they're like the best 2D shooter series i've played in my life, besides the character's role (how someone good can turn evil and viceversa)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I forgot some games...

Unreal. I know it hasn't aged that well, but it still has the best atmospheric music in any adventure-style FPS. As well as some of the best designed levels.

Unreal Tournament. In a way, the UT2003/4 sequels screwed up the simplicity with their dodgy moves, but this game has been awarded the GOTY award for VERY good reasons. The fact that people are still making new levels over a decade since the game was released says something.

Rollercoaster tycoon. This is how all the simulation games should be: simple in design, fun to use, yet lets you be totally in control. The stuff you could do was just astonishing.

(I'd like to give credit to fallout or doom 1&2 as well, but I really shouldn't. While they had some major strengths, they had glearing points you cannot deny before saying the game was perfect. fallout had a f**ed up inventory system and was very iffy about NPC's, and doom was straight out imbalanced with their weapons).

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Uncharted 2: Drake's Deception.
2) Super Mario Galaxy 2.
3) Soma Bringer (For a very long time I thought it was perfect, but now I can think of some improvements. Still deserves to be on this list).
4) Twilight Princess (There are a few parts I would have taken out of the game, just because they were annoying. Besides that, the game is perfect).
5) Banjo Tooie (For it's time, it's perfect. Such an amazing game).

I feel like I'm missing something....

Edit:

Aha, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. That's what I'm missing.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyrim most definitely. There is just something about throwing yourself into a medieval world and showing people, and creatures the business end of your weapon of choice. The story telling aspect of Skyrim is great, and the added cool factor of extensive Lore makes you feel like you're playing a book.

A close second would be Fallout: New Vegas. While the bug ratio was absolutely horrid and almost rendered the game unplayable, the folks at Obsidian really know how to tell a story and keep an audience. The gameplay was incredible as well. I played Fallout 3 for about 4 hours and quit, but the core aspects of New Vegas hooked me nigh immediately. Almost every quirk that I hated about Fallout 3 was fixed, or one patch away from being fixed. =3

I think many of the Pokemon games themselves were perfect RPGs in their own right, and the continue to accel at what they're meant to be since the very first games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over