Hacking Gamecube games look better on wii than on wiiu? Why?

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can’t compare other consoles connected to different or even the same HDMI ports. Each device will not use the same settings. Your other consoles support both full and limited RGB range while the Wii U only supports limited. Using the wrong mode can make everything look out of whack. This is also a feature that doesn’t even apply to component input.

TV calibration is calibrating the TV AND the content device. You’re also assuming your Wiii U and everything else are fine.

If my wiiu itself wasn't fine than my wiiu games would also look horrible. And as far as I know people don't mess around with TV settings on the wii when changing from wiiu to vwii.

Also even if I put sharpening to the max on my TV it still looks more wack compared to my Wii.

So yeah nice try but no just no.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just compared the same games in Nintendont on my Wii U and my Wii with component cables, maybe I'm crazy, but I'm noticing no real difference, wonder if the TV or cables do make a difference.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Chainhunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From shmups forums, by Extrems:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=58155
Wii U Wii Mode is a disaster.

1. 16 pixels is cut on each sides, in destination space. This result in 480p having the most overscan and 1080p the least. There is no 1:1 mapping.
  2. There's a disagreement between left and center chroma sampling location. This result in a slight chroma shift.
  3. There's no conversion between Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 Y'CbCr. This can result in wrong colors in HD and on the Wii U GamePad. This is further exacerbated by the smaller color gamut on the Wii U GamePad.

GeneraLight wrote:
I believe vWii Mode is also affected by the Limited RGB (16-235) present on the Wii U, so Wii/WiiWare/Wii VC games won't have as much contrast or vibrant colors as on original Wii hardware, which uses Full RGB (0-255).

GC/Wii natively output Rec. 601 Y'CbCr.

However, it's supposed to be a software problem (scroll down more on the link). There's a microcontroller in the WiiU which emulates the functionality of the Gamecube/Wii video interface (and sends info to the WiiU Radeon GPU). If the microcontroller's firmware can be updated, it could do something different and possibly fix the problem.

That's as much as I know though lol. If I could attempt to fix this I would. That WiiDual mod is way too expensive.

If you have an OSSC, you can output from the WiiU via component, to it, and force it to internally convert the colour to Rec. 601 (on the input side), and output Full RGB via HDMI. If you set output to YCbCr444, that's Limited RGB.

EDIT: If you have a CRT monitor, you can stretch the image horizontally to help remove the overscan black bars, but it looks like there are no clearly defined pixels apart from vertically, when in vWii mode.

Last edited by Chainhunter,

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From shmups forums, by Extrems:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=58155

However, it's supposed to be a software problem (scroll down more on the link). There's a microcontroller in the WiiU which emulates the functionality of the Gamecube/Wii video interface (and sends info to the WiiU Radeon GPU). If the microcontroller's firmware can be updated, it could do something different and possibly fix the problem.

That's as much as I know though lol. If I could attempt to fix this I would. That WiiDual mod is way too expensive.

If you have an OSSC, you can output from the WiiU via component, to it, and force it to internally convert the colour to Rec. 601 (on the input side), and output Full RGB via HDMI.

Thanks for this. That link and comments actually discusses the problem I'm having more. So yeah I guess I just notice these things while most people just don't.

I guess it doesn't help playing 30 hours of PKM colosseum on the wii and after that continuing on the wiiu (vwii). Same with time splitters 2 and so on. I actually ripped my whole GC collection now so I can check out more side by side comparisons.

Last edited by vree,
Reactions: Chainhunter

Cerus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my wiiu itself wasn't fine than my wiiu games would also look horrible. And as far as I know people don't mess around with TV settings on the wii when changing from wiiu to vwii.

Also even if I put sharpening to the max on my TV it still looks more wack compared to my Wii.

So yeah nice try but no just no.

My point was that you’re assuming your calibration is fine for your Wii U and comparing it to your Wii when they are different devices using different connections. That’s comparing apples to oranges. Of course you don’t need to change any settings when switching between the Wii U and vWii because it’s the same device using the same cable. Can’t really use that as a factor in comparisons either.

Most out of the box or by eye calibrations of TVs have a few things in common. Too much sharpening, too bright and colors too saturated. Your Wii Us component input is likely pushing colors too much compared to your Wii’s component.

Have you even tried properly calibrated your inputs? From your images I can see very little differences that can’t be attributed to calibration settings.

You say the Wii U looks washed out. Have you checked your TV for a black level setting? The setting I mentioned previously (full/limited) will cause this

Sharpening should never be set to max. It’s almost always best set to 0.

Yeah that would mean my ps2 and xbox(original) and wii would all look shit on component. Which they do not...

Again - entirely different devices. Whether using the same input or different ones, every device will calibrate differently for the most accurate colors.

And without comparing them on another TV you can’t really use them either.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My point was that you’re assuming your calibration is fine for your Wii U and comparing it to your Wii when they are different devices using different connections. That’s comparing apples to oranges. Of course you don’t need to change any settings when switching between the Wii U and vWii because it’s the same device using the same cable. Can’t really use that as a factor in comparisons either.

Most out of the box or by eye calibrations of TVs have a few things in common. Too much sharpening, too bright and colors too saturated. Your Wii Us component input is likely pushing colors too much compared to your Wii’s component.

Have you even tried properly calibrated your inputs? From your images I can see very little differences that can’t be attributed to calibration settings.

You say the Wii U looks washed out. Have you checked your TV for a black level setting? The setting I mentioned previously (full/limited) will cause this

Sharpening should never be set to max. It’s almost always best set to 0.

Again - entirely different devices. Whether using the same input or different ones, every device will calibrate differently for the most accurate colors.

And without comparing them on another TV you can’t really use them either.

While true what you are saying it shouldn't give these messed up results as is. And like you said that would mean my wiiu games would look shit too which they don't. Also like the post above you mentioned (link) same issue. Found even more post on other sources with people with the same issue. People that don't see a difference are just not that sensitive to it. Stop blaming calibration for something that is clearly beyond saving by calibrating >_>

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is me, but I think I'm seeing some slight screen tearing on the Wii video, while the Wii U seems more smoother.
Out of curiosity, did you try using an component not composite cable for the Wii U? It is basically an RBG cable. Although it may not actually help.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe it is me, but I think I'm seeing some slight screen tearing on the Wii video, while the Wii U seems more smoother.
Out of curiosity, did you try using an component not composite cable for the Wii U? It is basically an RBG cable. Although it may not actually help.

I actually did some moer side by side tests now that I have my whole GC library ripped. And what do you know sometimes there is this color bleeding and green blur like mentioned in that other topic. Sometimes there isn't. All this done with HDMI.

So yeah I guess it works. But even when it does look good, it doesn't look anything better than using component on a wii, more like the same. But yeah that is if the wiiu wants to play nice.

The whole point of using the wiiu was because of the hdmi cable. I'm not sure that tv's in the future will still support Component. So while I could connect component (official nintendo ones) to my wiiu it would beat the purpose.

Also I came to my own conclusion that it's just way more handy to use my wii over the wiiu when playing gamecube games:
-No need for the longer boot up of wiiu and then going to vwii (even with a forwarder this is long).
-No need for attaching the Gamecube adapter to use GC controllers. (less crap everywhere, including the wii being smaller)
-Wii is more silent.
-The support of official GC memory cards.
-The actual functioning of gamecube controllers in supported wii games (I know there are some fixes by using a different loader for those specific games, but that's just more fumbeling to boor a few games.)
-Actual fullscreen no black bars on top and bottom in some games, no fumbeling needed to fix that.

And yeah since the image when the wiiu plays nicely is practically the same as the wii using official component cables I just don't see the point in using the wiiu. For now it's back in storage. And if I ever get a new tv that doesn't support component cables I will either replace it with my wiiu or get a decent powered component to hdmi convertor (no wii to hdmi dongle crap).

Also to all the people that didn't see a difference. Like I found out it's more clear in one game than the other. And it would be more clear to you if you can run them at the same time like I did. Also I took the advise of configuring my tv to see if I got better results. It didn't help much. If the wiiu decided to display bright collors or bleeding green it didn't matter how much fumbeling I did.
If you still think it's just me or my tv read this conversation explaining the exact same problem: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=58155

Last edited by vree,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually did some moer side by side tests now that I have my whole GC library ripped. And what do you know sometimes there is this color bleeding and green blur like mentioned in that other topic. Sometimes there isn't. All this done with HDMI.

So yeah I guess it works. But even when it does look good, it doesn't look anything better than using component on a wii, more like the same. But yeah that is if the wiiu wants to play nice.

The whole point of using the wiiu was because of the hdmi cable. I'm not sure that tv's in the future will still support Component. So while I could connect component (official nintendo ones) to my wiiu it would beat the purpose.

Also I came to my own conclusion that it's just way more handy to use my wii over the wiiu when playing gamecube games:
-No need for the longer boot up of wiiu and then going to vwii (even with a forwarder this is long).
-No need for attaching the Gamecube adapter to use GC controllers. (less crap everywhere, including the wii being smaller)
-Wii is more silent.
-The support of official GC memory cards.
-The actual functioning of gamecube controllers in supported wii games (I know there are some fixes by using a different loader for those specific games, but that's just more fumbeling to boor a few games.)
-Actual fullscreen no black bars on top and bottom in some games, no fumbeling needed to fix that.

And yeah since the image when the wiiu plays nicely is practically the same as the wii using official component cables I just don't see the point in using the wiiu. For now it's back in storage. And if I ever get a new tv that doesn't support component cables I will either replace it with my wiiu or get a decent powered component to hdmi convertor (no wii to hdmi dongle crap).

Also to all the people that didn't see a difference. Like I found out it's more clear in one game than the other. And it would be more clear to you if you can run them at the same time like I did. Also I took the advise of configuring my tv to see if I got better results. It didn't help much. If the wiiu decided to display bright collors or bleeding green it didn't matter how much fumbeling I did.
If you still think it's just me or my tv read this conversation explaining the exact same problem: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=58155
I tend to play GC games in Dolphin as well as Wii games in Dolphin, because over all everything looks better in Dolphin Emulator and your entire library on your HDD ready to be access via the Dolphin interface. I do not even remember when I last powered on my GC, Wii, and even let alone access the vWii.
I see where your going with the Wii U as my latest TV currently do not even have component input and that caught me off guard for a moment there. I suppose I could get a component to HDMI converter box, but nah, I'm currently happy using the Dolphin as a way to play the games.
BTW, I'm not doubting you for seeing the difference between the Wii and Wii U and that the Wii U looks terrible in your eyes. Dolphin is maybe a viable alternative and getting a sensor bar is cheap endeavor for the PC.
That red HP is really apparent between the Wii and Wii U.

Reactions: vree and Clapmaster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Better leave them alone i guess