Hacking Gamecube games look better on wii than on wiiu? Why?

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So yeah gamecube games (and even wii games) look better on my wii using component cables (official nintendo ones). Than they do playing on the wiiu using an HMDI cable.

Why is that? I thought HDMI would give the better signal. but it doesn't look like that at all >_>

ps yes using nintendont on the wiiu.

And before someone goes there. No it's not My HDMI cable or my tv or port or whatever...

EDIT: Look A few posts down for pictures and video.

Last edited by vree,
Reactions: DragonBoy

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So yeah gamecube games (and even wii games) look better on my wii using component cables (official nintendo ones). Than they do playing on the wiiu using an HMDI cable.

Why is that? I thought HDMI would give the better signal. but it doesn't look like that at all >_>

And before someone goes there. No it's not My HDMI cable or my tv or port or whatever...
Who knows... in the Gamepad obviously not. It looks better due to the size of the screen... Why are you saying that it looks worst?? i mean, it´s illumination or something like that? cause i think in Wii U it looks a little smoother than in Wii.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who knows... in the Gamepad obviously not. It looks better due to the size of the screen... Why are you saying that it looks worst?? i mean, it´s illumination or something like that? cause i think in Wii U it looks a little smoother than in Wii.

Because it seems that it's making the image so crisp and blurry at the same time that there seems to be some kind of ghosting or something created.

Will make some pictures tomorrow using pokemon colosseum. Where it's very clear by looking at the gender symbols of Pokémon.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your seeing the way things are rendered on screen WiiU is Crisp and that is why Upscale does not seem to have much filtering.

That said I dont have a problem with it looks Original.

Last edited by CORE,

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GameCube games on Wii output 576i, while Wii U outputs 480p/720p/1080i/1080p depending on your settings. Try enabling "Force Progressive Scan" in Nintendont, or change the TV type to 1080i or lower in System Settings.
Without "Force Progressive Scan," Nintendont outputs 576i50, which is then upscaled by the console to 1080p60 (or the TV type you set).

Last edited by nastys,

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Simple, Wii can do 240p, WiiU can't. Also WiiU's component output is garbage. And I imagine WiiU has problems with interlaced content whereas Wii doesn't

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here we go.
So pictures taken on the normal Wii with component cables (official ones from nintendo).
And pictures from the wiiU using HDMI cables and put on 1080p.

While the colors on the wiiu look brighter (maybe a bit too bright) they also look washed out and like bleeding.

I tried puting the wiiu on 480p but that just makes it worse with a bleeding green color.
Tried 2 different HDMi cables that work fine on my ps4/xbox360.

These pictures where taken with my camera (not a phone. I know it's not perfect to show it but yeah that's all I got.)

Also made 2 videos with that same carmera:

Wii:

WiiU:

EDIT: I messed up wii6 and wiiU6 should be the opposite.

Attachments

• wii1.JPG
    wii1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 365
  • wiiu1.JPG
    wiiu1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 413
  • wii2.JPG
    wii2.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 346
  • wiiu2.JPG
    wiiu2.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 377
  • wii3.JPG
    wii3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
  • wiiu3.JPG
    wiiu3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
  • wii4.JPG
    wii4.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 365
  • wiiu4.JPG
    wiiu4.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 326
  • wii5.JPG
    wii5.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 366
  • wiiu5.JPG
    wiiu5.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 378
  • wii6.JPG
    wii6.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 357
  • wiiu6.JPG
    wiiu6.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 367
  • wii7.JPG
    wii7.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 362
  • wiiu7.JPG
    wiiu7.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 318
Last edited by vree,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

EDIT: Look A few posts down for pictures and video.
What I heard is the upscaler in the Wii U is just not that good. You can set the output to 480p and let your TV handle upscaling and see if it helps.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I heard is the upscaler in the Wii U is just not that good. You can set the output to 480p and let your TV handle upscaling and see if it helps.

Like I already said I tried that but sadly that didn't help a single bit.

To be fair I finally thought I found a good use out of the wiiu. but the only thing it seems good for is zelda WW and TP

Last edited by vree,

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Like I already said I tried that but sadly that didn't help a single bit.

To be fair I finally thought I found a good use out of the wiiu. but the only thing it seems good for is zelda WW and TP
I personally believe that it can be solved changing some video config in the nintendont menu... i mean, Pandora´s tower and Xenoblade Chronicles, even Resident evil Zero from gamecube looks better on my Wii U than on my Wii...

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally believe that it can be solved changing some video config in the nintendont menu... i mean, Pandora´s tower and Xenoblade Chronicles, even Resident evil Zero from gamecube looks better on my Wii U than on my Wii...

Tried most of the settings. Even so that won't fix the overkill colors. Like in my example pictures.

I personally think they look much better with a component cable on wii.

Last edited by vree,

Cerus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks to me like a simple difference in calibration between your TVs inputs. Every modern TV I’ve owned has independent settings for each input ie: color, saturation, sharpness, black level etc.

And that doesn’t necessarily mean matching the settings between each input type. The vast majority of TVs are improperly calibrated. Usually way too bright with over saturated colors.

HDMI is a digital signal. It either works or it doesn’t. One cable isn’t going to look better than the other. Same goes for the ports. 100% it’s a calibration issue.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks to me like a simple difference in calibration between your TVs inputs. Every modern TV I’ve owned has independent settings for each input ie: color, saturation, sharpness, black level etc.

And that doesn’t necessarily mean matching the settings between each input type. The vast majority of TVs are improperly calibrated. Usually way too bright with over saturated colors.

HDMI is a digital signal. It either works or it doesn’t. One cable isn’t going to look better than the other. Same goes for the ports. 100% it’s a calibration issue.

Nah this isn't a calibration issue. Other consoles and media players look perfectly fine. Just recalibrating one hdmi port to make it maybe just maybe look less horrible for the wiiu. While messing everything else up on that same port.... Yeah no.

Also if it was a calibration issue my wiiu games would be messed up too. Which they aren't. And here the same issue would happen change the setting to make GC on wiiu less horrible, but mess up the wiiu games.

So again this has nothing to do with the TV. Just the wiiu hmdi output being worse than component wii.

Cerus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah this isn't a calibration issue. Other consoles and media players look perfectly fine. Just recalibrating one hdmi port to make it maybe just maybe look less horrible for the wiiu. While messing everything else up on that same port.... Yeah no.

Also if it was a calibration issue my wiiu games would be messed up too. Which they aren't. And here the same issue would happen change the setting to make GC on wiiu less horrible, but mess up the wiiu games.

So again this has nothing to do with the TV. Just the wiiu hmdi output being worse than component wii.

You can’t compare other consoles connected to different or even the same HDMI ports. Each device will not use the same settings. Your other consoles support both full and limited RGB range while the Wii U only supports limited. Using the wrong mode can make everything look out of whack. This is also a feature that doesn’t even apply to component input.

TV calibration is calibrating the TV AND the content device. You’re also assuming your Wiii U and everything else are fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: