Hacking Gamecube cMIOS no longer updated?

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I noticed that WiiGator's cMIOS hasn't been updated since 2009 (and according to his GBAtemp profile, he hasn't logged on since August 2009), and I've heard that Waninkoko's cMIOS (which was updated last February) isn't as compatible. Since games like WindWaker and Ikaruga don't work 100%, I'm wondering if people are still working on any cMIOS. Yes, I know, Waninkoko's probably releasing cMIOS rev6 sometime soon, but I heard that rev5 isn't as good as WiiGator's, and I'm not sure if it works with GCOS multigame discs.

Also, there's a WiiGator cMIOS mod floating around, made by a person known as "Attila". It can be found here (MediaFire link).
This is what the changelog reads:
QUOTE said:
0.3 by Attila:
- Add latest MIOS as source (v10) for cMIOS.
- Added support for Wiimote in cMIOS installer.
- Compiled with latest libogc / devkitpro
It's unclear how these changes affect the compatibility.

So, in summary:
1. Is there a new cMIOS soon?
2. Does Waninkoko's cMIOS have better compatibility?
3. Does Waninkoko's cMIOS support GCOS multigame discs?
4. Does the WiiGator cMIOS mod that I linked to improve compatibility?

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Added another question.

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WiiPower released his cMIOS a while ago and his was based on WiiGator's ...

I hope he has the time and support to develop it some more

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
elmariachi said:
But he removed DVD-R support. So that's practically useless to me.

Sorry, I don't pay too much attention to the GC part of the Wii scene, but if DVD-R is removed, wouldn't that make it useless to everybody? Or is it intended for +R, or CD, or some other media that a GC will fit on? And I know he can't be using a HDD, as I know that is not possible for GC mode.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
caster62003 said:
YayMii said:
elmariachi said:
But he removed DVD-R support. So that's practically useless to me.

Sorry, I don't pay too much attention to the GC part of the Wii scene, but if DVD-R is removed, wouldn't that make it useless to everybody? Or is it intended for +R, or CD, or some other media that a GC will fit on? And I know he can't be using a HDD, as I know that is not possible for GC mode.
It doesn't work on ANY backup media. It's designed for retail discs. The only purpose for WiiPower's cMIOS is so that NeoGamma is able to use AR codes on (retail) GC games.

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
]It doesn't work on ANY backup media. It's designed for retail discs. The only purpose for WiiPower's cMIOS is so that NeoGamma is able to use AR codes on (retail) GC games.

Support for DVD-R was removed because you couldn't run a game from a backup disc and use codes at the same time.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Attila's cMIOS is WiiGator's cMIOS, just with a different installer. This one is also WiiGator's cMIOS with another installer, i wrote
http://www.mediafire.com/?mn2jzmqg0ny
The last one uses MIOSv4 as base, while Attila's takes MIOSv10 as base. I chose V4, because it's compatible with Action Replay, and i don't think nintendo did anything positive in the MIOS updates. Or if they did, that these affect the gamecube backup loading, as that doesn't use the gameloader from the MIOS.

There doesn't need to be an update of the cMIOS, because it's final already. All the work is done by the loader, and i'm working on improving that. If you have not working gamecube backups, please post full information in this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test

For the ones who ask what why the cMIOS is final: All it needs is to be patched to boot gamecube homebrew(the actual gamecube loader) and to set the DVD-R access register. If the register isn't set, the drive looses the DVD-R capability on the next drive reset(changing disc).

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, I didn't notice that WiiGator cMIOS (for backups) link (in your NeoGamma topic).

WiiPower said:
There doesn't need to be an update of the cMIOS, because it's final already. All the work is done by the loader, and i'm working on improving that.
So if I was to run Gamecube backups on a future version of NeoGamma, it'll have a higher compatibility than WiiGator's 0.2? That makes sense.
But what I was thinking of was the fact that WiiGator's cMIOS has his loader built into the cMIOS, so games work through the Disc Channel. Is it possible for that to be included in NeoGamma?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think about that, you'll realize that since NeoGamma is not, in fact, the disc channel (but instead a separate loader), that'd be kind of pointless, and there are already other ways to do disc channel loading.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobwarrior7 said:
If you think about that, you'll realize that since NeoGamma is not, in fact, the disc channel (but instead a separate loader), that'd be kind of pointless, and there are already other ways to do disc channel loading.
What are you talking about? It wouldn't be pointless, as it'll have a higher compatibility than other GC Disc Channel loading methods.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
noobwarrior7 said:
What are you talking about? It wouldn't be pointless, as it'll have a higher compatibility than other GC Disc Channel loading methods.

I'm re-reading to make sure I am following you....the backup loading process is two-tiered (3 really, if you count medium, but I digress): teir 1: cIOS (in this case cMIOS) and teir 2: loader/launcher....they work together.....so.....WiiPower has improved on WiiGator's loader, not his cMIOS, but you want him to cause his loader to affect the compatibility of the disc channel (which is in fact, an "official" loader), which is not only not the point of an alternative loader, but is in fact, pointless, because you would already have to "browse", if you will, to neogamma and launch it, in order to use those features, which means applying them to another loader after entering neogamma would just be another, pointless step.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobwarrior7 said:
I'm re-reading to make sure I am following you....the backup loading process is two-tiered (3 really, if you count medium, but I digress): teir 1: cIOS (in this case cMIOS) and teir 2: loader/launcher....they work together.....so.....WiiPower has improved on WiiGator's loader, not his cMIOS, but you want him to cause his loader to affect the compatibility of the disc channel (which is in fact, an "official" loader), which is not only not the point of an alternative loader, but is in fact, pointless, because you would already have to "browse", if you will, to neogamma and launch it, in order to use those features, which means applying them to another loader after entering neogamma would just be another, pointless step.Read WiiPower's post. QUOTE(WiiPower @ Jun 8 2010, 01:38 AM) There doesn't need to be an update of the cMIOS, because it's final already. All the work is done by the loader, and i'm working on improving that. If you have not working gamecube backups, please post full information in this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test
What does he say? He says that everything is controlled by the loader (for GC), and that includes GC compatibility. That means an update to NeoGamma may also update the compatibility of GameCube games.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right.....for NeoGamma.....not for the standard disc channel.....which is itself a loader.

Improvements to Neogamma loader do not = Improvements to disc channel loader

I'm not trying to confuse you, I don't think you get the point...
neogamma has all these options, like video mode, hooktypes, region free, etc. which are kind of the point, and what wiipower is using to improve compatibility, once feature xyz works the way it is suppposed to, or works better than before, or makes some game work with some video mode or region.
anyone else please jump in, I guess I'm not explaining it right, maybe?

you won't improve disc channel loading (from a initial boot) anyways, because the disc channel is still using the same cIOS and cMIOS (you actually use both, cIOS to boot the disc channel, and then the cMIOS to run the GC game), and not getting any neogamma updates, because it is an entirely seperate loader from neogamma....i think that is the best way to put it.

to improve disc channel loading, you'd have to improve cIOS and/or cMIOS, and like you read, cMIOS supposedly can't get any better. I doubt we will see a system menu that "improves" disc channel loading of GC games either.

so:
1. there could be, but there is not much to improve on.
2. depends on if it makes the game work that you want to work, but generally no.
3. I used it for a while, and I wanna say yes, I believe it did.
4. no, not really, but it is fine to use, as is wiipower's mod, they are really just mods of the INSTALLER, not the actual MIOS

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobwarrior7 said:
to improve disc channel loading, you'd have to improve cIOS and/or cMIOS, and like you read, cMIOS supposedly can't get any better. I doubt we will see a system menu that "improves" disc channel loading of GC games either.
WiiGator's GC loader includes an MIOS installer that allows you to fuse the WiiGator loader into the MIOS (which I'm using right now), which forces the Disc Channel to load the WiiGator loader when starting a game from the Disc Channel. If WiiPower is able to make a cMIOS installer able to infuse NeoGamma into the MIOS like this, it'd be a lot better than what I currently have. And it'd improve the compatibility too.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, I get what you're getting at now...although I think he said something about that once...don't remember his comment on that....I still would see that as neogamma compatibility, since you are saying launching MIOS ignores the disc at first and launches neogamma....now we're on the same page. wasn't the one wiigator built into mios wayyyyyyy stripped though? I think maybe there were size concerns.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobwarrior7 said:
okay, I get what you're getting at now...although I think he said something about that once...don't remember his comment on that....I still would see that as neogamma compatibility, since you are saying launching MIOS ignores the disc at first and launches neogamma....now we're on the same page. wasn't the one wiigator built into mios wayyyyyyy stripped though? I think maybe there were size concerns.
I don't notice anything different though. Region forcing works, multi-disc works, reboot works (I think...
unsure.gif
) and patched loading works. Are you sure that the WiiGator MIOS loader is stripped?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope, not sure at all, I just don't remember being able to access all the options I do when I boot up "gc backup loader xi", is it all in there?
remember: the additional options in neogamma are largely what improve upon possibilities for proper functioning of titles (especially A/V stuff),
because wiipower has strived to keep everything else in the loader as identical in function to the disc channel as possible (therefore, hopefully at least matching it's compatibility).

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm using 0.2, and I see no difference compared to the regular version (other than the regular version for showing in PAL even if I force to NTSC
dry.gif
)

And WiiPower's trying to improve on GC compatibility right now. For example, WiiPower fixed a problem with Pokémon Box in one of the previous R9 betas.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here