I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Post your past phones, their current status and why you switched.
I'll start:

Nokia 3220 (Black & Blue)
Working
Got a newer model as a gift

Nokia XpressMusic 5130 (Blue)
Working
Got a smartphone

SONY Xperia SP (Black)
Working
No more official updates, bootloader can't be unlocked, LBL ROMs only go up to 5.x

ASUS ZenFone 2 (Black)
Bricked bootloader, boot loop
Bricked bootloader, boot loop

Huawei P9 (Blue)
Working
Current

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reckon I can do my whole phone history here

Nokia old school thing (forget the model, came with a rubberised case as standard) that just about had a colour screen.
Was stolen.
Replacement
Tesco £20 job about 13 years ago when that happened.
Befell an "accident" about 3 years later at the very first opportunity where I would not be compelled to replace it.
Current.
None.
Replacement reason. Phones are pretty pointless for me.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NEC 341 I-MODE (Wind brand, silver)
My first phone ever, I've got it WAAAAY back (around 2004) as part of a carrier offer. It wasn't a great phone but I could play OutRun on it, so I can't complain. I've switched to a different one after I recieved a better phone as a gift.
Status: Probably sold it after switching to my next phone (I can't remember too well because I had it a really long time ago).

Nokia 5200 Xpressmusic (White & Red)
Definitely a great update from that old NEC phone, and a good phone for that time. True to its brand, it lasted long and never broke while I had it. I've switched it when I decided to get a smartphone.
Status: Gifted it to a poor guy my family knew back then after switching to the next one.

iPod Touch 3G (Black)
Not really a phone, but I've bought it around 8 years ago. At the time I still had the 5200 as my main phone, but I used the iPod Touch for everything else. After a while I decided to get a proper smartphone and sell it to a friend.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Black)
My first Android phone, and boy was it a good one. It might've had stock Android, which it meant that it had less built-in functionalities than other phones, but it also meant that you could customize the shit out of it, and indeed I did. This phone also survived a really harsh fall on some rocks while I was at the beach with some friends (afterwards the phone miraculously didn't have a single scratch on it while I, well... let's just say I would've preferred to be my phone in that situation.) I've switched to another one after I found a newer, slightly better one for a really cheap price.

Huawei Ascend G6 (White)
Definitely a more budget-centred smartphone than the previous one, but I've got it used as new as a ridiculous price (less than half of its MSRP at the time). It had a very good CPU for its price range but I was never too fond of its 2GB internal memory (in 2014! boo.) Nothing that root & Link2SD can't fix tho. After a year or so it started to have some reception issues, and at that point I decided to get a new smartphone.
Status: Upgraded to another phone, but I still have it at the moment (working with some defects).

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Black)
My current phone, and so far I'm loving it. I've rooted all my previous Android phones, but I don't think I'll root this one (unless later on I'll want to install a custom ROM).

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't even remember the model or even brand for the really old one...

First I had a really old phone, one of those with the orange backlight that only had black displays. Can't remember anything more about it, but it was one of the phones that came out when mobile internet was first invented (even slower than dial-up though), don't expect much from a 1G device.:P

Nokia E65
Got it as a hand down from my uncle when he switched to a Lumia 5230 and I gave the old one to my sister. Best phone I had by far and really reliable and durable. Plus it had everything I needed and even a good GPS, with the maps working offline too, making it great for getting around! It unfortunately met it's doom when it fell off the balcony on the third floor for the 9th time...:cry: (blame the stupid vibration when ringing)

Lumia 5230
Guess where I got it from:P Good phone, but I hate touch screen phones. Lasted me a while until the touch controls got so decalibrated it was more than half a screen off!

Vodafone Smart II
Crappy af phone that can't even get jaibroken without dismantling it first! Let's not forget that the touchscreen can't be recalibrated, it's not accurate at all and the battery only lasts for 2-3 minutes at this point even with 100% charge!

I never use phones anymore for anything other than calculator when I go shopping or to check the time...

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Huawei Y560
Screen got smashed and the touch doesnt work anymore.

Archos Alba 5
Can't remember its fate, probably screen dying again

Archos Alba 5 (Again)
Screen got smashed again (I'm great at this arent I?)

Alcatel U5 4047X
Still works fine, I didn't like it sooo...

iPhone 5s (Current)
Found one cheap on Amazon, iOS isnt too bad if you pay a decent price for it lol

Last edited by Seriel,
Reactions: ThoD and Dionicio3

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
iPhone 5s (Current)
Found one cheap on Amazon, iOS isnt too bad if you pay a decent price for it lol
Install Android on it. :creep:
I looked at the specs, and it should run up to 4.4.4 pretty well. Maybe even 5.x.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Valid point there... I'm sold!

Did you at least jailbreak it?
Came on iOS 11 so that's not possible. If it had come on a jailbreakable version I would have, and if any is released for 11 I will install it asap

Reactions: ThoD

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Because I enjoy operating systems that actually work as intended without modification.
Um... Android works as intended without modification. Shitty manufacturer ROMs aren't the fault of Android or Google. Buy a Nexus or a Pixel.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Um... Android works as intended without modification. Shitty manufacturer ROMs aren't the fault of Android or Google. Buy a Nexus or a Pixel.
Actually, it depends on the version AND the manufacturer! Sometimes they will put the worst Android version possible in a phone limiting it from doing half the things it was supposed to do. Sure if you go with an expensive one it can be avoided, but still... On the other hand, iOS works great all the time, ban the moment the next one comes out and half your speed is patched out:P

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never implied it was the fault of Google, just that it's not been my experience. I'm not buying a nexus or pixel because they're stupid expensive for what you get and they don't even work half the time anyway either.
I found a cheap iPhone so I got it, that's all there is to it

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I never implied it was the fault of Google, just that it's not been my experience. I'm not buying a nexus or pixel because they're stupid expensive for what you get and they don't even work half the time anyway either.
I found a cheap iPhone so I got it, that's all there is to it
Good for you. Never turn down things when they are so cheap it's a steal or when they are free! Haven't paid for a phone in my life!

Reactions: Seriel
D

Deleted User

I used to have some cheap shitty Android phone. Last year I upgraded to the iPhone 6s. It's way better.

I want to get the iPhone X. It has a better camera and is faster. But it's also very expensive so I'll stick with the 6s for another year.

D

Deleted User

Samsung On3 (?) (I forgot the exact model)
My first phone. I got it when I was 17. I know, kinda sad.

Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge

Current phone. Not the best, but it can run most apps and emulates GBA/PSP games, which is good enough for me.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Because I enjoy operating systems that actually work as intended without modification.
So far the only android phones I've seen that barely worked without modifications were the budget ones (aka, under 100 euros). For example, my old Huawei Ascend G6 had an internal memory that was so small that you could only install a couple of apps on it (and it didn't help that of those 2GB of memory storage only 750 MB was reserved to the apps), so rooting it to install Link2SD was pretty much a must. But hey, those are budget phones, so you get what you pay for.

Still, I'm not an Android fanboy - I can see why some people buy iOS devices. I simply like Android more because I like the extra customization it offers and I don't like Apple's OS because I feel it's too restrictive, but that's just my point of view ;)

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
So far the only android phones I've seen that barely worked without modifications were the budget ones (aka, under 100 euros). For example, my old Huawei Ascend G6 had an internal memory that was so small that you could only install a couple of apps on it (and it didn't help that of those 2GB of memory storage only 750 MB was reserved to the apps), so rooting it to install Link2SD was pretty much a must. But hey, those are budget phones, so you get what you pay for.

Still, I'm not an Android fanboy - I can see why some people buy iOS devices. I simply like Android more because I like the extra customization it offers and I don't like Apple's OS because I feel it's too restrictive, but that's just my point of view ;)
Couldn't have said better myself.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So far the only android phones I've seen that barely worked without modifications were the budget ones (aka, under 100 euros)
I sorta agree with that, I've found any phone under about £130-ish (GBP) generally tends to suffer from these problems. The reason I got this iPhone is because it was within that "budget" range, yet performed like something much more expensive (Probably cuz they generally go for 3x what I paid)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips