ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
The only real differences between the newest one and the 1.3 version on romhacking (soon to be updated) are a forgotten new line code in the adventure, a game
Challenge description typo and the game select titles (along with the game records titles)

Actually what I wanted to do was make a patch that works on macs. The XDelta patch is rather picky about what version is used.

Reactions: oji

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Well, I actually just got some mail that helped on the Mac front (from a "J Vulcan"). First, here is a patch that works with Multipatch on the Mac:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/88lak54m5db1u0y/rgc2eng_v14_mac.zip

-----------

Next, here are some instructions if you would rather use Wineskin:

I made some instructions for Mac users specifically for patching this game (or any games) and might help people wanting to run other utilities that might be Windows only. Personally, I'm a bit uncomfortable with command line or virtual machines myself.
The utility linked in the patch's readme works fine using Wineskin.
Used Wineskin. It's a Wine wrapper and will create a complete executable (with Wine binary + utility) included to run like a near native package.
-Download Wineskin
-Install Engine
-Install Wrapper
-Create New Blank Wrapper
-It will create a blank wrapper in the /Users/[username]/Applications folder
(Wine Mono and Wine Gecko will be installed)
-Install Software -> Copy or Move the patching software folder.
It should run. Tiny window somewhere, usually upper left corner should appear. The wrapper should map OS X drive, so hitting "Desktop" when selecting a file should show the Mac desktop. Recommend that users just put the software there.
Success.
Note - (To access the settings and setup, users must right click the wrapper -> Show Package Contents -> and run the Wineskin.app again) ... This will show the virtual C: drive.
Note:
Users that want to remove the Wineskin Winery utility can either drop the applications into the Trash or use a free utility like App Cleaner. The /Users/[username]/Library folder is hidden but accessible by going into to Go -> Go to Folder from a blank desktop at the top of the screen. Users can simply search for Wine references and trash them.
The entire package is something over 400mb, so it's not feasible to redistribute. Compresses down to 173mb using standard ZIP. The entire thing would be safe to redistribute. Wineskin + the libraries are all LGPLv2 (or GPLv2).

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
^ In any case I'll try to get around to updating the download page on the site to include the Mac links/instructions. Same with the first post in this thread.

Also, it seems we got another very brief mention in Pocket Gamer...http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Final+Fantasy+Type-0/feature.asp?c=60719

By the way, the Interview over with the "Game Club 199x" group at hardcore gaming 101 went very well and I'm hoping that turns up online soon.

Okay, the 1.4 patch is now up on romhacking.net I see.

I have some Mac instructions/patch on the main patch site for anyone still having trouble, but I should rework the page a bit not to say "experimental" next to 1.4

Hmm, what else...the Game Club 199x (Hardcord Gaming 101) podcast is still being prepared...I'm just waiting for it.

And on Blood of Bahamut I'm just waiting for the thread to reopen. I already have all the text and graphics in the game so now I'm bug-hunting and trying to polish up the translation. Other than length issues, things like the items and abilities are okay for the most part, but the sub-story/backstory descriptions per chapter/mission need some work and there are odd broken tags at times, and the other text just needs varying levels of tweaks. I even made an XDelta patch (only 150kb...much smaller than RGC2)

Patuli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great news for the blood of bahamut fans!, i really want to listen to the podcast.
take care Aaron!

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just like to thank you again for translating this. I'm FINALLY getting around to beating the Ace Detective game, and it's truly a fan tribute. The main culprit and their story are modeled after that culprit's real life.
I just wish I was good enough at those games to guess the culprit correctly, instead of failing enough times for the game to just give me the answer. Yes, I know, I really do suck at text adventure games. :)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
You're welcome. I still have all the files here handy in case anyone needs anything polished up but I'm pretty happy with how it is now. Actually, I haven't even played through the whole game again since just before the initial release of the first version of the patch. I should play it again.

Blood of Bahamut sucked up some of my time but that is pretty much done now, too. Who knows, if 3DS emulators become "a thing" in the near future I might tackle the 3rd Arino game, too. (Even though I thought that paled in comparison to the other two, and I couldn't stand the RPG in it)

Clippit

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You're welcome. I still have all the files here handy in case anyone needs anything polished up but I'm pretty happy with how it is now. Actually, I haven't even played through the whole game again since just before the initial release of the first version of the patch. I should play it again.
Now that you mention it, don't you happen to have or to be able to get images of Demon Returns' maps? I'd like to work on a Super Mario Bros. to Demon Returns conversion hack and they'd come really handy. Also, is there a simple way to get Super Demon Returns' map tiles, for a fan game? I've been using OilOfVitriol to rip sprites but I've only found characters, power-ups and enemies sprites.

fedprod

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I chime in if I may. If my memory serves me well, SMBC has quite some sets including (Super) Demon Returns available in PNG format.
If you don't mind using preripped ressources you may want to visit explodingrabbit, namely this subsite ^^"

joek0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that you mention it, don't you happen to have or to be able to get images of Demon Returns' maps? I'd like to work on a Super Mario Bros. to Demon Returns conversion hack and they'd come really handy. Also, is there a simple way to get Super Demon Returns' map tiles, for a fan game? I've been using OilOfVitriol to rip sprites but I've only found characters, power-ups and enemies sprites.

Me and Aaron are working on getting guides up on the website. We have a wiz man guide that is almost ready. I don't know if Aaron has picked up the guide yet, but I have a copy of the official strategy guide for this purpose.

Clippit

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I chime in if I may. If my memory serves me well, SMBC has quite some sets including (Super) Demon Returns available in PNG format.
If you don't mind using preripped ressources you may want to visit explodingrabbit, namely this subsite ^^"
Heh... I worked for SMBC's team providing some character skins, and yeah, I was aware they have a Demon Returns' map skin, but they never got to finish a Super Demon Returns one, hence why I'd like to make one myself... hence why I was looking for those tiles.
Me and Aaron are working on getting guides up on the website. We have a wiz man guide that is almost ready. I don't know if Aaron has picked up the guide yet, but I have a copy of the official strategy guide for this purpose.
Sweet. Guides are a requirement for such an undocumented game. In fact, I got stuck in a labyrinth/puzzle part at the RPG months ago. :P

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hello, long time no write.

First off, that podcast on RGC2 is finally up. I haven't listened to it yet so I hope I don't sound like a moron in it:
http://t.co/fGB8QVVgeK

As for the guide, other than the Adventure game walkthroughs (which I do need to tweak a bit, still), I have been working on one for Guadia Quest Saga because there are a number of Japanese ones up. Matching up the enemies and skills has been proving to be tricky though since a fair bit changed between the initial translation of the RPG and what it looked like after many tweaks from the fans. I actually only finally got around to ordering the official guide this weekend; I've been too busy with my job (ending and then officially starting my own away from my last employer). I'll see what guides I can put up. I would like to do a Mutekiken one as well if it has all the maps anyway; it would save me screengrabbing all of the maps.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, I'm gone for a few months and there's a patch for this game out already! Seeing as it goes all the way up to 1.4, is there anything left in the patch that still needs doing?

Patuli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wan't to be honest Aaron, i only listen to the podcast 14 minutes.
I like your work, but that podcast was a bit boring,
sorry.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
That's okay. I'm not even on until 2/3 of the way in anyway.

A fair bit of the interview was cut but there are time restraints. My chat was about 2 hours and this whole podcast was 2 hours, and I'm only in the last third. Lots of material but the first 2/3 is mostly a review of the game.

Maybe I should make my own YouTube about this?

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's okay. I'm not even on until 2/3 of the way in anyway.

A fair bit of the interview was cut but there are time restraints. My chat was about 2 hours and this whole podcast was 2 hours, and I'm only in the last third. Lots of material but the first 2/3 is mostly a review of the game.

Maybe I should make my own YouTube about this?

That would be awesome, do it please. I would gladly listen to the entire thing.
I'm hoping you can solve the TV Game Exam thing, I would try to find some time to help with that one.

And I finally got around to start playing RGC2 (yes, after all this time), the game in motion
just... wow. Its amazing to see how all the hard work of everyone involved pays off. What a good project.

There was another game that got a bit of attention, but there was never a full translation: Zombie Daisuki.
I wonder if it could interest you, looks like a pretty solid fun little game.

Reactions: Nightwish

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Nice to see you again!

Okay, I might make a YouTube with me showing off the game and some back-end/development stuff as well if I can get some time this week. Yeah, this project was a glorious success all around. Good times.

About other games, I have been overloaded with requests. I actually have access to a number of project files for various projects. It is just a matter of getting around to them. In general, here is what I have on my plate:

* RGC2 strategy with joek0 (I can handle the RPG and Adventure games for sure, others after)
* Blood of Bahamut Strategy Guide (I have all the informations, I just need to copy/paste into one guide (PDF?) and put it in English in some spots)
* Blood of Bahamut glitches (low priority but it would be nice if I could fix those)

New Projects:
* Retro Game Exam (Haven't done much in a bit on this but I have all the text extracted...no idea how to put it all back in, though)
* Digimon Story: Lost Evolution
* Nanashi no Game (Not sure how to hack the game at all without Nagato's help, though)
* Sigma Harmonics (Same as above)
* That silly Hideo Kojima stock market trading game for kids if I can ever get around to it

Zombie Daisuki is possible if it isn't too long. I've already stretched myself unbelievably thin, but I'll see what I can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://youtu.be/9FcXxqthgUM?feature=shared&t=169