Hardware Game Boys - anywhere to buy them NEW?

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm kicking myself for not getting them earlier.
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance SP
Game Boy Micro

Does anyone sell any of these Game Boy models NEW for a reasonable price that sends to Australia? Any Australian stores with stock of any of them?

Basically I want one of each for different reasons, one reason benig gaming in sunlight or even on an overcast day (which my DS and PSP fail at miserably). What good is a portable that can't be played in the sun, I ask (I'm under the impression the Game Boy Advance is great for that)?

I'm pretty sure the Game Boy Advance is no longer made
frown.gif
so my dream of a new one is gone, but how about the others?

Thanks for any help.
(I am also sorry I sold the original model Game Boy I once had, with the best Tetris and Golf game on earth which emulation can't replicate, but that's an issue I gotta work out with lots of therapy)

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm not sure about shipping to Australia. I just got a brand new 20th Anniversary Micro today, that my girl ordered for me about a week ago on Amazon. They have quite a few new ones there. Check and see if there's shipping to Australia. And if you can't get it shipped to Australia, you can always get one from Play-Asia. I'm pretty sure they'll ship to you. But I think the prices are kind of high.

As for playing them in the sun, I can't really help you with that. I have the newer sp, and I'm pretty sure that would look pretty good while in the sun. It's a nice, bright, screen on the second brightness level.

And I'm almost positive the micro would look great in the sun. The screen on it is bright and beautiful. I know the DS Lite looks A LOT better in the sun than the original DS does. So I'm pretty positive the micro will look great too.

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They don't sell them in store anymore? Not even the SP?
Here In Australia (Melbourne), the DS is everywhere, the PSP is everywhere, Game Boy Micro is nowhere (actually I've seen it in one store only, but the box was opened... last model). Nobody advertises the Micro or has any stock here, basically. Game Boy Advance SP, same deal.

DespizingU,
The DS Lite is actually terrible in direct sunlight (screen goes all black, basically). As soon as you go indoors or in the train or whatever, it's fine though. Each display technology has its merits/demerits and it seems the brighter baclkit ones don't do sun well at all. I miss the old days of playing my Game Boy in direct sunlight. The reason I want one of each of these (even tho some might not be as good as a traditional LCD in sunlight), is because each hardware revision has its own charm and good/bad points
smile.gif

I want at least one 'traditional' non-backlit lcd to game in sunlight, though.

I can do PayPal and that's about it. I will check out Play-Asia. I saw some ebayers selling the SP but honestly I'm scared of ebay! Far too many shonks.

MahouMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
I have seen these new at gamestops and game crazy stores

if those even exist where you live

I got the Game Boy Micro (see my other post about my thoughts on it). Are retailers still selling the SP new in the US or elsewhere (except ebay)? None on Play-Asia.

One down, a few to go
smile.gif

My local Gametraders still has a couple of new SPs, do you have any near you? Or any independent shops?

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My local Gametraders still has a couple of new SPs, do you have any near you? Or any independent shops?

New SPs excite me. I hadn't even heard of Gametraders until recently (shows how out of touch I've been).
http://www.gametraders.com.au/?page=stores

Thanks, I'll ask around for one tomorrow.

edit: hmmm, no luck. Basically he tells me there's only second-hand stuff going around. Did you find the new ones in Melbourne somewhere? Elsewhere?

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I found some new Game Boy Advance SP units on Divineo's China site ($89.95).

I think I might pull the trigger unless someone here has other recommendations for where to get them that send to Australia (never dealt with Divineo before, so I'm open to pros/cons, if any). I'm excited. I just hope they have them in stock (for real).

MahouMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
I found the SPs in Fountain Gate's Gametraders, you can search on their site for what each Gametraders has, and you can get the item(s) shipped.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes... But on the other hand DS Lite is far too bright with any setting for utter darkness. Even original DS or a PSP in my opinion. I have to use my SP there.

I'm unsure any "Game Boy" branded systems are still being produced. Nintendo has NOT confirmed so officially, but the last game they published was the Chinese version of F-Zero Maximum Velocity. Shortly after ending their European support on Final Fantasy VI Advance.

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm unsure any "Game Boy" branded systems are still being produced.

All the more reason for me to grab one. Or more
smile.gif

Nintendo Australia certainly don't know about Game Boys. I called in a couple weeks ago, and the girl I spoke to didn't know what the Game Boy Micro or Game Boy Advance SP was. She then put me on hold to talk to someone there briefly, who told them that Nintendo stopped making the Micro 2 years ago
biggrin.gif

I then asked about the Game Boy Advance SP; pretty much same story; "The Wha..?"
Was mildly amusing. At least to me
smile.gif

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A few days ago I received the Game Boy Advance SP (two in fact; one black and one Pearl Blue).
Hooray!
Just a few notes on the screen and sunlight gaming:

I have the Game Boy Advance SP with improved brighter screen (says "BRIGHTER backlit screen!" on the box). The model is AGS-101. It's wonderful when not directly lit with sunlight (pretty much all indoor environments. Far brighter than the front-lit model.

I've tried a friend's older front-lit Game Boy Advance SP, and while indoor use is so-so on this model (screen could definitely be brighter), outdoor use is actually quite usable - the screen doesn't go dark like on all recent back-lit models. That's a great feature to have in a Game Boy, IMO.

Just thought I'd mention that the newer back-lit SP is relatively sucky in outdoor environments for anyone who doesn't know it already (which was one of my main reasons for getting it, but information on sunlight gaming is hard to come by).

Overall, the brighter back-lit SP is a nice purchase and a welcome change from the Game Boy Micro's overly-small (IMO) screen. Ergonomics of the SP is OK but not great, too. But the front-lit older model definitely holds its own outdoors.

foob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're in Melbourne then the Melbourne Central EB have GBM going for $50 though don't know if they are still there.

Thanks, I got both the Game Boy Micro and Game Boy Advance SP recently (the Micro I managed to find here, the SPs I got from overseas). I'm really pleased I could get both new in 2008 (it's like I'm going back in a time machine or something, and I like it!
tongue.gif
). I called quite a few EBs but came up with nothing or the usual $100 price for a store that had it in, but never tried the Melbourne Central one, I don't think. Hmmm! $50 is really good value.

The only thing I'm really missing out on is a new Game Boy Advance, but my chances of finding one new are really low. Pity because I love easily removable/ swappable AAs and the shape of the unit seems comfortable from what I can tell looking at pics of it (and it does sunlight gaming). Shame I never got one. Might get a good second-hand one someday.

2 outta 3 ain't bad for now. I love each of them for different reasons. This is a sickness I tell u
smile.gif

Along with my DS and PSP, they are a nice little family.

Had one guy think the Micro was a mobile phone while out n about. Hah! If only phones could match dedicated gaming machines in both usability and game choice (ie. if only they didn't suck
tongue.gif
)

kaotic_azn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well there is (I still think it is there) one gameboy advance on ebay with an accessories pack for around $50 with buy it now. Yeah i got a near new gameboy micro for $40 too bad it didn't come with games.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I'm really missing out on is a new Game Boy Advance, but my chances of finding one new are really low. Pity because I love easily removable/ swappable AAs and the shape of the unit seems comfortable from what I can tell looking at pics of it (and it does sunlight gaming). Shame I never got one. Might get a good second-hand one someday.
The sole reason I kept my old GBA and refused to buy an SP was because of the comfort factor. The GBA is very comfortable to play in my opinion, moreso than the SP, DS Phat, or DS Lite (haven't ever played a Micro). Granted, even though it can do sunlight gaming, the lack of a backlight is annoying when playing in the dark, even with a worm light, and my left and down buttons are starting to fail on me, but I still keep the GBA around. I really wish the DS had replaceable batteries, too.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The sole reason I kept my old GBA and refused to buy an SP was because of the comfort factor. The GBA is very comfortable to play in my opinion, moreso than the SP, DS Phat, or DS Lite (haven't ever played a Micro).Totally agree with that, I didn't get an SP either for the same reason. The GBA is so comfortable, whoever did the ergonomics on that console deserves a medal. And it's brilliant for cartridges that stick out; Boktai on a Micro isn't very comfortable. It's only fault is that the little plastic clip on the battery door snaps over time, I've almost gone through 2 now. The Micro's light weight makes it more comfortable on the wrists though if you're playing for a long time.QUOTE(DanTheManMS @ Jan 27 2008, 07:21 PM)Granted, even though it can do sunlight gaming, the lack of a backlight is annoying when playing in the dark, even with a worm light.
The lack of backlight was annoying when playing anywhere that wasn't in front of a window or under a light bulb. Hell, I had to replace the light bulb for our living room with a stronger (energy saving) one just so I could play in there
smile.gif
I didn't like the worm light much, got a Traplight instead; it's bulky, adds weight and needs 2 more batteries but it does a better job of lighting the screen evenly while staying out of the way.
gba.gif
(I miss that icon)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded