G4 PPC with Pro graphics hard drive question.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Retinal_FAILURE, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Retinal_FAILURE
    OP

Retinal_FAILURE GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I picked up a Power Macintosh G4 and it has ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16 MB of VRAM
    AGP 2x, and everythin except a hard drive. I read that to get it to boot from one site i need the original HDD, but thats not possible for me to attain. Something about matching numbers with the actual units numbers for OS or something? But, in another site I read that I can format any HDD to a Mac format and that will work up to around 80 GB and be able to boot to OS. The original was a 20GB. i do have an Emac and I made a bootable image on an external HDD drive from that using software, and the G4 Power Mac(tower) recognizes it, Im just wondering if I can format an 80Gb spare IDE internal drive to a Mac Format and use that when I boot the OS from the external drive which has the image. Its a "sawtooth" 400Mhz/1M Cache/128MB Pro SDRAM/20 GB/DVD-ROM/ZIP/56K MDM/KB somebody has upgraded RAM to 384 MB (256MB apple G4 PC100 + a 128MB PC100 Samsung chip), it is just missing that 20GB HDD.

2. lefthandsword

lefthandsword GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Hong Kong
    root
    Last edited by lefthandsword, Mar 14, 2017
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've dumped a 64 GB SSD in me iBook G4 and just dumped a burnt copy of Mac OS X 10.5 in it.
    Works perfectly fine.

It's just a harddrive, you can swap those out.

Retinal_FAILURE likes this.
  4. finkmac

finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2011
    Canada
    Over there
    Basically what DinohScene said. PowerMac G4 Sawtooth supports everything from 8.6(needs a special version) to 10.5.
    Just google a copy of the install disc for the version you want to use, burn, install.

Retinal_FAILURE likes this.