Hacking FW 11 and NTR/Gateway Question

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All gateway saves store on the internal SD card unless the game is card2. So either way losing the gw card would hardly result is losing many saves.

Or did they change that when they fixed the need to home menu and close to prevent data loss?

Last edited by Rasa39,

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is the difference between BootNTR and just NTR? Also, where can I get BootNTR 3.4?

BootNTR is what the homebrew is called that lets you boot NTR over existing cfw, whereas NTR is just the standalone cfw. I got the latest from baidu but i can't remeber the link, sorry.

ED: You can get the latest build from 44670's github page.

Last edited by Rasa39,

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The benefit is getting rid of Gateway altogether and not being bound to a cart to play your games. What if you lost your gateway cart? Good luck getting your games/saves back. Not to mention, A9LH systems can boot under 10 seconds, and help prevent future bricks.

As I said, if you need live help, I, personally, and many other experienced users are on #3dshacks over at Rizon.

Loosing your gateway cart is as likely as loosing your console for most I would assume. I don't know about anyone else, but the cart never comes out. I just remove the micro sd card when loading games.

The arguments some of you make for only using CFW does not make sense, especially for someone that already owns a red card. Your telling people to get rid of functionally they current can use if they want. Why? it reeks of insecurity. Since GW users can have both if they want it.

The whole argument would be moot if there was some CFW that supported, native 3ds format.. But there is not.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Both Gateway and BootNTR work in EmuNAND FW 11.0? Someone on this thread said BootNTR does not work in EmuNAND FW 11.0... Can you confirm/clarify?

BootNTR does not work with 11.0 NFIRM or any NFIRM above 10.2. Gateway does not use 11.0 NFIRM even if you happen to be on 11.0. For other CFW you have to use the 10.2/9.6 firmware.bin to make NTR work.

Also keep in mind that NTR is dead and thus won't work at all once a firmware update comes out that does not work with the 10.2 firmware.bin so I would avoid using it. Fortunately, Luma has the CPU speed, region free, and language emulation features from NTR so the only reason to use it are cheats, game mods (which can be done with HANS) and the real time save feature which barely works.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am confused... BootNTR does not work above 10.2? I was able to use BootNTR in EmuNAND and I think my EmuNAND was above 10.2... Am confused on all this :P

It boots on 11.0, but only because you use an older firmware.bin, meaning you aren't using 11.0 NFIRM even though you're on 11.0 emunand.

That's why for luma3DS you have to use a seperate firmware.bin that isn't 11.0 NFIRM in order to use NTR on >10.2 nand.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loosing your gateway cart is as likely as loosing your console for most I would assume. I don't know about anyone else, but the cart never comes out. I just remove the micro sd card when loading games.

The arguments some of you make for only using CFW does not make sense, especially for someone that already owns a red card. Your telling people to get rid of functionally they current can use if they want. Why? it reeks of insecurity. Since GW users can have both if they want it.

The whole argument would be moot if there was some CFW that supported, native 3ds format.. But there is not.
>native 3ds format
Fucking what

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>native 3ds format
Fucking what

Scene format I should be saying then..

With GW you can take scene releases, drop them into your card and play within minutes. That is one of the greatest benefits to using GW.

Same can't be said for CIA releases.

Is that more clear?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the .3ds file format is not made by Nintendo, so 3DS can't support it. CIA on the other hand is literally made by Nintendo.

So how exactly does GW accomplish using the .3ds files anyhow? Since GW is another version of CFW, is the red card really that important to being able to launch those?

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scene format I should be saying then..

With GW you can take scene releases, drop them into your card and play within minutes. That is one of the greatest benefits to using GW.

Same can't be said for CIA releases.

Is that more clear?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So how exactly does GW accomplish using the .3ds files anyhow? Since GW is another version of CFW, is the red card really that important to being able to launch those?
Yes, the red card is important, also just convert your .3ds files, you lazy MFer.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the red card is important, also just convert your .3ds files, you lazy MFer.

It's not being lazy, it's more efficient and I already have every scene release in their original formats, no reason to.

Let's see, convert all my 3ds to CIA's or re-download all of them and hope they were converted right to then take 10 x longer to install them to my unit. Yeah that makes allot of sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom