Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

Fusée Gelée FAQ by Kate Temkin

http://www.ktemkin.com/faq-fusee-gelee/

Kate has collected and answered the most common questions she's gotten regarding Fusée Gelée. Most notably she explains the three "types" of FG hacks, software, hardware (temporary) and hardware (permanent).

Enjoy!

Kate herself responded to this thread on page 26, thanks Kate!

There's a lot more here than I can easily respond to, so apologies if I miss posts or gloss over points.

This is correct-- while there likely will be software chains around for these things in the future, I don't see them as coming along as quickly as f-g. We don't have a non-coldboot exploit chain at all for 5.0.0-- and we haven't looked yet, as we've had other things to focus on and coldboot works. We do have one for 4.1.0, but it's centered around a couple of exploits that we don't want to burn-- we're hoping to use them to get an opportunity to poke around inside T214/Mariko.

I don't view you as particularly hostile, no. I don't know if challenge is generally a good thing-- sometimes you do have to accept that other people have different ethics or viewpoints from yourself and let that pass, especially if they're just doing stuff for fun-- but I don't view your post as hostile.

Jamais Vu (1.0.0 TrustZone hack) isn't my bug, but has been written up, and is just awaiting someone with the skills to have time to do a public interpretation. Déjà Vu is currently centered around the exploit I mentioned above, and we definitely want to hold onto that for as long as it's applicable. It's entirely a Switch bug, too, so I don't see it as being something that needs responsible disclosure.

For Déjà Vu, absolutely. (explained in last quote)

I don't agree that things like tweeting are ego. This is something I work on because I find it a lot of fun to hack on things, and there's definitely an aspect in which it makes me happy when seeing the results of things makes other people happy. There's also an aspect in which I hope that showing these things are possible inspires people to want to learn e.g. reverse engineering. This stuff is cool; and I want to share the excitement with others and lift them up as much as I can.

You don't have to believe me on that or like that that's my goal. I won't hold it against you if you don't. :)

I honestly support people updating when it makes sense; and I recognize that there's a conflict between holding back information and enabling others to make reasonable decisions about that. I don't like or feel good about secrecy, and I know it has implications. I've tried to be as clear as I can about the costs regarding updating without crossing the line into giving things away.

I think we've been pretty clear that 4.1.0 will eventually see a non-coldboot, software-only exploit with the same level of power. That's actually been posted on the ReSwitched Discord's FAQ for months, but I know the message gets skewed as its gets communicated over to other places. That's part of why I'm here, now-- I want to help clear things up.

The interactions between the operating system and the bootloader-- say on reboot-- are actually fairly limited; and knowing what any of them are is enough to point people at the particular section of bootrom that's vulnerable. That's why I'm not commenting on Fusée Gelée and how it relates to software-only solutions right now. I have said e.g. above that since there's no public way of getting the privileges necessary to run things, 4.1.0 isn't going to see a pure software solution that the public can use at the time that f-g is released. Software exploits will likely come in time; and it's possible we'll come up with things that are even easier than f-g.

I'm not sure if they'll take it seriously enough. I don't know how they are internally-- but I can't just assume they'll fail to do anything and skip disclosure. Honestly, I don't think a "security advisory" is really a bad thing, either-- there are definitely applications of Tegra chips that I and/or the public don't know about. If giving NVIDIA notice gives them time to explain exactly what's dangerous and allow their customers to remove and replace units from places where the vulnerability can cause harm, I consider that a win, and well worth delaying some public switch hacks by a few months.

I'll also say that my fear that vendors won't take the vulnerability seriously is a huge reason I'm so keen to get things out there-- and why I provided a date after which I'll tell the public what's going on that I've said was non-negotiable. I want to make sure this doesn't get hidden, and that people understand exactly what f-g can and can't accomplish, to minimize FUD while also letting people understand the actual risks are associated with using a vulnerable device.

It changes this from an exploit that's going to be usable before the affected people know it's a thing to something that people may have a chance to react to. Making the vulnerability public without disclosure really increases the odds someone is capable of using it to do bad.

I didn't really give NVIDIA a chance to sell-off stock; though. I've said publicly multiple times that there are bugs in Tegra processors well before NVIDIA reached out to me seeking disclosure. If anything, I think telling the public that these vulnerabilities exist while pursuing disclosure helps developers interested in using Tegra chips in the future ask the right question.

I've already said that while pure-software stuff is doable on 4.1.0; it'll be a wait. As far as I'm remembering, the only part of the chain that could require multiple tries to work is PegaSwitch, which is our browser-based entry point, and I haven't even tried the browser entry point that'll eventually be public to see how reliable it is. SciresM did the work to get our non-coldboot exploit working on 4.1.0; not me. :)

Yeah, that's hard-- especially as everyone has a different view as to how inconvenient things are. I don't know of a way to communicate this better without more details.

Incidentally, the 'inconvenience' verbiage came from SciresM and I discussing our respective views on updating. I think SciresM is more towards the opinion that people should hold back more often, where I'm more of the opinion that updating can be a good and reasonable option sometimes. The way we wound up phrasing things is a compromise between views.

(I'm going to assume this meant "on the hacking side". If not I'm not sure what hacking site you're referring to.)

Updating to latest just closes the possibility of using software exploits launched from Horizon, which can make setup more difficult. I know you'd like to know how much, but I unfortunately don't have a good way of qualifying that. As I've mentioned, if you're suffering from not being able to use your 3.0.1+ Switch, you probably do want to upgrade and just risk things being more inconvenient in the future. Worst comes to worst, if you decide you can't tolerate the inconvenience, you upgrade and then wind up having to figure out a modchip.

The downgrade protection fuses literally mean nothing to a system with f-g, which can entirely skip the downgrade check. Incidentally, SciresM actually accidentally bricked one of his systems in a way such that it was always failing the downgrade checks, and he's been able to use f-g to get that system up and running again.

I don't think that's clear at all, nor do I want to confirm or deny this. Sorry.

I think you're making a bunch of assumptions here, and that's maybe not a great idea. I'm not saying you're necessarily right or wrong; just that I don't think your assumptions are founded.

I don't think this contradicts. This is talking about vulnerabilities that aren't f-g; not because f-g doesn't work on 4.1.0, but because it's possible we may come up with vulnerabilities that are even nicer on 4.1.0 in the future.

I'm being as clear as I feel I can, and adding clarifications e.g. here where I think it helps. There will be different names for the the ways you can use f-g eventually; and I'll be fully open about everything once the summer rolls around and I'm not putting the disclosure timeline in jeopardy.

I know and have said about that this "bring your own exploit" business makes development exclusive, and that's exclusionary and I really don't like it-- I just don't see a way around it. I would love to get more developers and more perspective, and that's why my release date for f-g is tied to my disclosure timeline and not in particular to Atmosphère's release.

I've tried to point out approximately what the difficulty would be for some of the options to kind of provide this, but this is a hard thing to accomplish. In this case, providing details that are more specific really points a finger at vulnerability details, so there's not much I'm comfortable sharing. I've shared what I could-- as a data point, some of the other teams have outright stated that they think I've shared too much already and made things obvious. I don't agree or necessarily care about their opinons, but c'est la vie.

Well, this isn't the case. This has been disclosed to Nintendo, too-- as NVIDIA shares their vulnerability findings with downstream customers. It's more general malicious actors that I'd be worried about.

See above-- but I don't think I'd advise specifically updating to 4.1.0 unless that gives you enough access to the games you want.

I'm also super glad that we can do a lot of our work in the open. I hope there's a lot more of it in the future-- and I'd love to stream some of it. :)

I find the requirement disheartening as well, but I think this is the right way to do things, for now. I've explained my rationale above; feel free to ask questions.

I'm not sure why people are against communication, here. There were definite benefits to talking about f-g in the first place; including that it demonstrates that Tegra chips are vulnerable-- which hopefully influences buying decisions in the future and puts pressure on NVIDIA to seek as much of a fix as they can. After that there seemed to be definitely benefits to talking about more details, even in the limited sense that I'm able to. I've tried to give people more information than the nothing they would have had so they could have more of an idea whether it's be a good idea to e.g. pre-order a modchip or update their system. I know it can be frustrating to not get full disclosure, and that more information would help people to make a better or more conclusive decision, but full disclosure isn't an option until this summer. I don't think that's a reason to hold back information.

I don't have specific answers to your questions, unfortunately-- but I think it sounds like the main purpose of this Switch is as a gaming device and maybe you should upgrade and enjoy playing games with your son.

I don't think that asking for clarification is criticism. It might be rude to push me to answer something I said I wouldn't, but I don't think there's harm in answer.

I don't think I've said anything about opening the console or not. See above for my views on updating?

I'm not sure where you got this impression, or why you're confident about things enough to claim you know about the internal values or working of ReSwitched. This is also easily disprovable just from public information--Hedgeberg has tested out f-g on stream. I don't see it as great opsec to enumerate how many people have access to the vulnerability, but we've long had a policy of only giving exploit details to those who actually want to know them and are in a position where they can use them to help. This is a basic security precaution and not about trust.

I'm actually not sure how this is relevant to the broader discussion. Based on your post history, I can tell that you strongly support TX and the option they're providing, and you're welcome to that, but I think throwing around generic unfounded criticism of RS doesn't do much good and distracts from me answering community questions. :)

I don't think they're obviously more convenient, as they exist right now. They're both inherently however-tethered-you-consider-PegaSwitch, take a bunch of time to run, and rely on a pegaswitch entry point.

That's not correct-- everyone on a current hardware revision will be able to install and use CFW the day it's released, if they're willing to put in the effort and potentially take on some minor risk.

I'm actually not sure what you mean by this entire post? Sorry about that-- I'd love to address your ideas, but unfortunately I can't figure out your meaning. :(

That was about me having fun by trying to see if a DIY, cheap modchip option is reasonable. It turns out it is. As you've noted, it's not necessary on any firmware. I just really like the idea that the open exchange of knowledge -- especially when profit's not a motive -- can result in creation of neat options for the community. ^-^

Yep; that's exactly what it means. :)

I don't think this has been at all implied-- and you'd be hard pressed to find a way to make a solder-less Arduino option that even remotely fits in the Switch case. :)

I should also clarify that the DIY option isn't solderless. :)

If you have or are going to get the game anyway, you can. Those versions are pretty much interchangeable in the long-term. :)

Yep-- and it's possible at some point that we'll allow you to install Fake News without Puyo using f-g/Atmosphère. The original plan was to release Atmosphère for 1.0.0 first while we tried to figure out how to deal with Fusée Gelée, but we actually wound up with a disclosure schedule that was faster than we'd thought. :)

Last edited by Salazar-DE,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fail to see how it would disclose anything for her to say something like, on 1.0.0-4.1.0 you can launch CFW with an on-board system app, in 5.0.0 you have to plug the console into your computer and run a script. I mean we already know you need a USB cord, and the first place people would look for a vuln is in on board apps. So it isn't telling anyone anything.

I really hope she doesn't become Hykem 2.0, that would be so annoying.

Shes already stated all firmwares will have both a software and hardmod based, and has also stated its not a tethered exploit meaning it don't go through usb to a computer to exploit.

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
all i want is to mod and be able to stay online like the 360 days.
whatever team comes up with it im heading that way.
although im still on 1.0 but who ever releases first im heading his way.
i got bored of playing bomberman :D

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I fail to see how it would disclose anything for her to say something like, on 1.0.0-4.1.0 you can launch CFW with an on-board system app, in 5.0.0 you have to plug the console into your computer and run a script. I mean we already know you need a USB cord, and the first place people would look for a vuln is in on board apps. So it isn't telling anyone anything.

I really hope she doesn't become Hykem 2.0, that would be so annoying.

I'm gonna be that guy..

I secretly hope she is trolling us. Hard. I'm demented....

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all i want is to mod and be able to stay online like the 360 days.
whatever team comes up with it im heading that way.
although im still on 1.0 but who ever releases first im heading his way.
i got bored of playing bomberman :D
If you really want online then I guess you better simply update your console pay Nintendo subscription and buy games...

I'm sure for online most likely at some point you will get banned...

I my self since I have no money online is the last thing I want, I want is being able to play offline games that I can't afford ;).

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
honestly not true i used to play my vita online when it was modded and used to sync my trophys each day, never had any issue.
also with the 360 with the cfw i played online and never got banned.
thats why i was stating although TX may charge you for something free, but they might put something on the table that will be worth your while.
and mainly i wanna go online to play fifa thats all, and my main reason i got the switch was fifa on the go, because the vita version was Pathetic :D

oh and i played stuff i dont own because both 360 and vita games are no where to be found in my country, hardcore ps3/ps4 fans here, even the xbox one is dead here

Last edited by Xandroz,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly not true i used to play my vita online when it was modded and used to sync my trophys each day, never had any issue.
also with the 360 with the cfw i played online and never got banned.
thats why i was stating although TX may charge you for something free, but they might put something on the table that will be worth your while.
and mainly i wanna go online to play fifa thats all, and my main reason i got the switch was fifa on the go, because the vita version was Pathetic :D

oh and i played stuff i dont own because both 360 and vita games are no where to be found in my country, hardcore ps3/ps4 fans here, even the xbox one is dead here
But the vita and 360 didn't have nearly as much telemetry as the switch. It will likely be a lot easier for them to have the system raise a flag that your system is hacked and can cause a ban. That's not a guarantee though, but if we can learn from the 3ds its that they may have some way to detect this kind of thing and we may see another mass banning situation.

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
on the vita case i think sony gave up on the vita, on the 360 we used to have ban waves every now and then honestly, but we stayed safe by playing games on the release date, cause the games there leaked like 2 weeks in advance :D and on the release day we use a program called abgx which compared the dumped game with the original game and fixed some stuff for online safety and never had any issues honestly although micro kept hitting people with bans.

going online has its risks of course and what most people look for is backups and offline, but half the fun is in online.
i mainly play fifa and fut champs every week and that takes like 99 percent of my gaming time

and in the 360 case the cfw was made by a guy called ce4eva who i guess was a part of TX and early versions of the cfw was like going online at your own risk, and micro kept countering this guy with updates untill they finally gave up

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so i guess its going to be the same with nintendo cat and mouse game, same as the iphone and jailbreak. untill someone eventually sells out or gives up

Last edited by Xandroz,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even on 360 I got banned and never played online, I never had XBL Gold lol

I was playing a crap game with a friend with LAN over internet using the PC to capture X360 packets and send thought the internet.

I had the game patched well 4 online and both me and my friend in the same condition got banned LOL, not that I ever cared for it...

But it was the FWH in the drive that C4eva claimed it was totally undetected but it wasn't after he patched it and improved stealth on the next one. He also claimed M$ couldn't ever install firmwares of the drives trough software update and guess what, after some point when you updated M$ flash the drive and FWH goes away LOL.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Shes already stated all firmwares will have both a software and hardmod based, and has also stated its not a tethered exploit meaning it don't go through usb to a computer to exploit.
I was only using that as an example - I wish she would just say what the convenience factor difference IS. Basically everything that anyone can guess is ruled out. How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision as to whether to update? I think she is just another one of those attention-seeking people who like to have something that everyone wants, and tease them with it. She should never have said anything until she was ready to release it. If her intention is to be revered she should take a leaf out of smealum's or SciresM's book and behave like they do (being open and honest and not teasing - releasing things within a week or so of them ever being publicly mentioned). Not Hykem or Team Salt or the guy with the cat avatar who I can't remember the name of.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
yea i remember that time, was crazy as hell but made people who charge for modding alot of money :D

things progress overtime and you can never have a perfect mod at first.

look at the vita now i had it a year ago and it was crap, now i can go online and update the games, which wasnt possible, and it was a semi tetherd exploit and now its a permanant one

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is the Vita is dead since release lol... It came out at such bad timming since Sony was preparing for Next Gen PS4 and after PS4 Sony forgot they had a device called Vita lol.

Most top games for Vita on GameSpot are also on the 3DS while the Vita could have had way better games. I never cared for it unless Sony had made a Gran Turismo game similar to GT6...

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
yea thats why i gave up on it although there are alot of games but they are all crap honestly.
this is my first nintendo since Gameboy advance :D
so my main objective is switch as a portable gaming device, hope we get decent games with time, and devs dont give up on it as what happened with the wii u

Reactions: guily6669

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was only using that as an example - I wish she would just say what the convenience factor difference IS. Basically everything that anyone can guess is ruled out. How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision as to whether to update? I think she is just another one of those attention-seeking people who like to have something that everyone wants, and tease them with it. She should never have said anything until she was ready to release it. If her intention is to be revered she should take a leaf out of smealum's or SciresM's book and behave like they do (being open and honest and not teasing - releasing things within a week or so of them ever being publicly mentioned). Not Hykem or Team Salt or the guy with the cat avatar who I can't remember the name of.
SciresM announced jamais vu months ago, and Deja vu not too long after that. Those are obviously not released yet and likely won't be for another couple months at least. So no those devs have done the exact same thing where they announce the exploit before they are close to being ready.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
SciresM announced jamais vu months ago, and Deja vu not too long after that. Those are obviously not released yet and likely won't be for another couple months at least. So no those devs have done the exact same thing where they announce the exploit before they are close to being ready.
Yeah that's true I guess. I wonder what the difference is? Just by reading forum comments regularly you can pick up on the general opinion on SciresM and the general opinion on Kate and they're quite different. In the former it is total respect and on the latter it is unsureness or annoyance.

I guess the respective transgressions aren't as far apart as I was imagining, but the difference probably comes from the fact that a) SciresM has a solid track record of trustworthiness from the tail end of the 3DS scene and b) he has lots of open projects, whereas Kate is an unknown entity and doesn't have the assumption of trust yet.

Anyway I guess we will see what happens in a few months.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's true I guess. I wonder what the difference is? Just by reading forum comments regularly you can pick up on the general opinion on SciresM and the general opinion on Kate and they're quite different. In the former it is total respect and on the latter it is unsureness or annoyance.

I guess the respective transgressions aren't as far apart as I was imagining, but the difference probably comes from the fact that a) SciresM has a solid track record of trustworthiness from the tail end of the 3DS scene and b) he has lots of open projects, whereas Kate is an unknown entity and doesn't have the assumption of trust yet.

Anyway I guess we will see what happens in a few months.
I don't understand why they don't trust Kate, when she is working with SciresM, and we know SciresM now has access to F-G for testing too. Along with that Kate's streams have shown her testing atmosphere code on a system with F-G installed, so it's well known and proven to exist, and she is working with someone well known for releases who also has at least some info about F-G.
I honestly just can't see how it wouldn't be released eventually.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the vita and 360 didn't have nearly as much telemetry as the switch. It will likely be a lot easier for them to have the system raise a flag that your system is hacked and can cause a ban. That's not a guarantee though, but if we can learn from the 3ds its that they may have some way to detect this kind of thing and we may see another mass banning situation.
Pure speculation, but I'd imagine that since Atmosphere is being built from the ground up, telemetry will probably end up either being disabled or spoofed

@SciresM is this the case, or, if not, are you planning on doing something in this vein?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pure speculation, but I'd imagine that since Atmosphere is being built from the ground up, telemetry will probably end up either being disabled or spoofed

@SciresM is this the case, or, if not, are you planning on doing something in this vein?
I already talked with them about it in a ktemkin stream. Right now, we just don't know if it can be detected and it they will issue bans. On top of that disabling telemetry while online will probably also raise red flags. The safest option right now is to basically go barebones cfw (almost vanilla) when you want to access online, and then something like disable telemetry and stay offline when doing the fun things like homebrew. Kinda like the ps3.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already talked with them about it in a ktemkin stream. Right now, we just don't know if it can be detected and it they will issue bans. On top of that disabling telemetry while online will probably also raise red flags. The safest option right now is to basically go barebones cfw (almost vanilla) when you want to access online, and then something like disable telemetry and stay offline when doing the fun things like homebrew. Kinda like the ps3.
Wunderbar, that's all I needed to know

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wunderbar, that's all I needed to know
It's still not a guarantee, but it's probably the best option to lay low on nintendo's radar. The nice thing is atmosphere is designed in a way where it's basically bare bones without plug-ins, and the fun stuff we think of with cfw will mostly come from plug-ins. At least that's how I understood what they've said in discord at the ktemkin live streams

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck