Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are you a copyright lawyer? Or an internet armchair copyright lawyer? Also this is a Russian product so unless you know much about Russian law or the country on which it's going to be shipped from I would guess you are just guessing about which laws it may or maybe isn't breaking.

Actually mod chips are legal in the UK since 2008, they might be illegal elsewhere and some other countries might not have any laws at all about them or even care about the law. Look at the amount of copyright laws China doesn't care about and and the amount of cloned tech that comes out of there. I would imagine people buying these carts won't be caring too much about breaking any laws, I know I certainly wouldn't.
>Actually mod chips are legal in the UK since 2008
source on this? i always thought they were illegal

Reactions: impeeza

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Personally I think it will be intersting to see how many people buying this from China or wherever will be arrested and fined - I doubt anyone will be and nintendo will just need to suck it up.
gary better be in a country where he can't get extradited because if tendo gets their hands on him again..hoi boy

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
gary better be in a country where he can't get extradited because if tendo gets their hands on him again..hoi boy
Either he needs to manage to convince the world after their blunder that he wasn't part of this (good luck!) or go to country and keep update with the extradition laws (which he seemed to have forgotten to do). Also be a citizen of said country.

I guess Cuba would be good? I don't know how stable the internet is tho

madisonswitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, because you CAN NOT change the content of a XCI and generate a new Certificate because you have no access to Private PKI of Big N.
Yep, and for those exact reasons, this cart is a nothing burger. If you have the smarts to DL "backups" of games, it's not much more effort to research and do a chip mod. The chip mod solution is 100000000x better than this cart.

Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They made it VERY clear that it's MADE IN RUSSIA - I wonder why?

Is this to discourage the FBI from going after them? Has anyone bought anything that's made in Russia? Are they reliable?

news1.jpg
Just because it's printed that it's made in Russia means nothing. It might or might not be. Personally I would prefer not to support Russians.

Morricorne

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They wrote back. Whatever. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to support anyone. Who is afraid of the real opinion of a real user. This product of theirs will be great. It won't surprise me if it's a scam. Anyone who starts using it will get banned from Nintendo before they know it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107-020257.png
    Screenshot_20240107-020257.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Blythe93

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
UK resident here
they not legal, they bypass TPM
and as per my C&D
i22g3zx.png
According to that law. But they been tried in EU courts at least and one party won there. But it seems to be a fat swing of the dice what happens in each case.

Reactions: impeeza

phakio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They wrote back. Whatever. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to support anyone. Who is afraid of the real opinion of a real user. This product of theirs will be great. It won't surprise me if it's a scam. Anyone who starts using it will get banned from Nintendo before they know it.
as far as I know they were sending units out to actual reviewers, so youtube videos can be made to passively advertise and show the device working. the beta testing phase was over months ago according to their site.
from your post and the message you sent them, plus your reply to them it seemed like you just wanted a free mig switch to "test" lol

i'm excited to see the device in action by actual reviewers! NickMoses05 did a livestream where he showed that the team emailed him and said they were sending him a review unit. Looking forward to it!

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, why would they send a unit to some random person?
Yep or me, I did reviews for Maxconsole and now there's no more Maxconsole so I wouldn't be doing a review of this of course. Plus the US customs would probably jump in and confiscate it before I got it lol.

Anyways. I am wondering which site(s) are going to review this thing. Maybe gbatemp? Who knows. I don't really know of other sites that does this kind of stuff.
Post automatically merged:

Btw, I bet you money that before February comes along, modmysystem will get in trouble with Nintendo. Not that I wish ill-will upon anyone but I still remember what happened with the US distributor of the SX product.

Last edited by realtimesave,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.