Homebrew FTP or SMB server in backround?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure this questions has been asked already in some way or form but,

Would be be possible to allow a FTP or SMB server process to run in background while in the system menu or other homebrew? Like maybe even daisy chain load the system menu or hb channel or what ever. for example. Via Preloader boot to a .dol (ftp or smb server process) that when its done starting starting the server process's it can be told to load the system menu or hb channel.

I would think this would make updating the contents of either the wii's NAND or a USB or SD card much easier on the fly or at least without having to run standalone ftp or smb server hb on the wii.

SG

Red Ire Lap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I understand, the Wii has a hard time doing 2 things at once, such as even running wiispeak in the background with a noncompatible game online. So I wouldnt say its impossible, but extremely problematic. However, I'm definitely no expert on this.

SomeGuy2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im guessing the Wii was not to multi-thread. Even so I would think there could be a way to load such function into ram or wrap around a system menu or something.

SG

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand there's no real underlying OS per se underneath things. When a game is loaded the entire system is handed off to the game. When ftpii is running, the entire system is handed off to ftpii.

So I think it's pretty technically impossible. At least from my novice understanding of Wii hardware.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty much impossible, the game runs 1 IOS at a time and so if you want to run something behind the scenes, when a new IOS loads chance are it will get shut off that minute (IOS reloading issue with some games on the USB loader).

DarkSzero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The only way I see this happening, is the homebrew in question running a FTP server alongside whatever it does. It could only be useful into a menu-kind homebrew (HBC, Backup Launcher menu and few others)

talmina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last three are all correct. Programs on the Wii expect to have full range of all the Wii's resources, and when that is not the case things will get ugly. This means its +/- impossible to have a server if you are running: the Wii's menu, a commercial game, wiiware etc.

I suppose you could try to run one on the ARM, but you would need to be running a specialized cIOS that might not be suited to running intensive applications. On top of that, only waninkoko and hermes have successfully made a cIOS. I'd like to see that happen, but its unlikely that someone qualified will undertake any adventures in these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy