From The Abyss

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Batman55, Aug 28, 2008.

Aug 28, 2008

From The Abyss by Batman55 at 4:33 AM (1,998 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Batman55
    OP

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I know the game came out in Japan already, so can someone give some info on how good it is? I am looking forward to it, but it seems that no one else is talking about it. It got a 75 from IGN, and a 50 from Game Informer.

I just want a new game that has deep gameplay, because even though I have been having fun with Bangai-O and n+, I want an RPG.

2. timehawk

Newcomer timehawk Member

United States
    I'm curious about it too. I really want a fun multiplayer game. Also looking at Gauntlet.
    All I can say is... look at some trailers, its all I have seen that shows gameplay :/.

3. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    I tried out the (J) version, and first impressions were decent. It's a dungeon crawler with Mana-inspired sprites (which I like). Gameplay seemed pretty good, but not quite as crisp as it should be. I'm guessing the story isn't all that deep.

I'll definitely give it a try when it comes out next week, but I'm not expecting greatness. Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise.

4. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I played through the entire game. The gameplay is addicting because you keep getting new skills and level up, and it is paced very quickly. Unfortunately it's a very easy and repetitive game. I never ran out of money and I never once had any issues killing anything including bosses.

Don't expect anything deep from this game, just a very very basic Diablo clone which is a bit on the easy side. If you are planning to buy it in stores I'd say you may want to wait til it's a little cheaper.

Also, the story is really not important in this game, so you may as well play it in Japanese. If you want a deep RPG try out Etrian Odyssey.

5. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Is it somewhat like Soma Bringer?

6. svnelvn

Newcomer svnelvn Advanced Member

United States
    i don't understand the multiplayer, so it only lets you play the maps that you have already gone through?
    in other words you can't finish the game together with multiplayer but you have to finish the maps first before you can play it with your friends?

this game could be so much more fun if it lets you play the entire game fresh through like a multiplayer game

7. SoNiNhUh

Newcomer SoNiNhUh Member

Brazil
    I like it.
    It remembered me Children of Mana.

8. Batman55
    OP

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I don't like this game... it's like a sucky 2D Soma Bringer.

9. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    It feels like a bare-bones hack and slash,granted I only played thru the first dungeon so can only hope it gets alittle better later in the game.....

10. benneto

Newcomer benneto Member

United Kingdom
    I’m playing this game at the moment it satisfied my urge to play a hack and slash since that’s basically what it is.

The addictive part of the game is levelling up and stealing abilities from monsters since I am the type of person who wants to get every ability going (even though I use a Spear I still want the axe abilities lol).

11. CPhantom

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    this game actually is pretty fun, mildly challenging depending on how you play. Though it is your basic hack-and-slash game where you mash the A button, it hasn't been bad for the most part~!

12. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    It looks like a decent game, nothing too good, but not bad at all.....GBA had more than few games like this one, and it's a great fun for me..

13. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    My first impression was Etrian Odyssey (town and story of dungeons) mixed with Children of mana. Fun if you play with people, like FFCC. Not very challenging but worth trying.

14. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's a shame about the lack of wifi, though. That would have made it a great game. I mean, the GBA had a lot of games like this already -- why not take advantage of the one really important feature that the DS adds to that?

15. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Yeah, I'm really curious, why so many games actually don't implement WiFi feature...is it that hard, or what?!
    All games would be slightly if not much more better with WiFi co-op. playing, Battles, Racing, Trading, Chatting and similar stuff..

Especially RPG, there is really big area of possibilities for developers to do..

16. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    the thing is, wifi requires 24/7 servers running which costs money.
    so if the games aren't certain to earn enough money they can't afford to add wifi, only local multiplayer.