Hacking Freezing in games that shouldn't.

crystalklear64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. Using a V3 Supercard with the latest OS, 2gb japan kingston, speed things set to 5 and 25 as mentioned in some guide I read about cyclo vs. supercard.

In Sonic rush, the freezing occurs inbetween loading. ie. I get into a level, beat it, then as it is transitioning back into the overworld map, it'll freeze with a black screen.

In FF3, the freezing happens when I change screens. ie. Walking into a house.

Finally, Rhapsody freezing when entering or leaving a battle.

So, the transition seems to be a common theme in all my games that freeze.

Games that work just fine include the Taiko games and the Osu Takete Ouendan games.

I have done a full format with the panasonic tool and am getting ready to load up my stuff again, but before I do, I want to get these issues sorted out since I'm going on a long trip.

Now, it might be worth noting that when I do the autospeed detect on the SuperCard menu, it says that my card is too slow and isn't supported (while I've used a homebrew program in the past to verify my card speed, and it is more than fast enough).

Anyway, I don't intend to play games that require the ridiculously fast cards anyway, so why are these non-problem games giving me issues? Should I lower the speed settings for greater stability?

Finally, since no one ever knows the answer to this/answers it... what does SCSDSpeed = whatever control? The guide says to set it to 5 and doesn't explain it. I've read in other places that you should set it to 4.

Thanks.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

crystalklear64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright thanks. I'll just not mess with anything and see how it goes. Put that update on. I'll try out Sonic Rush now.

edit: Seems to be working fine. Got past the part it used to freeze at, so something worked
smile.gif

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if your using a 2gb kingston japan it should not say its to slow it should auto to 25+ so you are lieing have a taiwan brand or you have a faulty memory card

QUOTE said:
Ignore the auto speed setting, it's very inaccurate with many mem card types.
Speed setting only matters if you turn the patching off anyway.

have you just made that up?

of cause it matters anything below 17 is just to slow & will result in slowdown or freezing

but you can give your memory card a speed boost by formatting to FAT with 64k clusters & setting your speed to 17+ (raising it until you find the sweet spot)

if you have windows you can format like this

QUOTEGo to: Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
Select your SD card and right-click "Format"
* Volume Label: Whatever you like
* File System: FAT
* Allocation unit size: 64k

after doing this even taiwan brand kingstons work perfectly with the scdsone

(i hope this post is ok cause im rather drunk *HICKUP* & i can hardly see)

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sandisk 4gb sdhc class 2 (suposedly) formatted to fat16 using hewlett packard formatting tool

Auto speed = 5 ??? WTF ???
Manually Speed = can be set to 28 where it runs vaniaDOS start screen video at full speed, at 30 it won't start and at 25 it lags slightly....note, manual speed settings don't apply unless you turn off patching and remember to use 'save menu' to save the manually set speed setting or it won't apply as soon as you run a rom.

So auto speed setting certainly doesn't seem correct for at least this memory card.

crystalklear64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried that windows formating thing, and ( i think its the 64k clusters) now it takes a very long time to just copy the OS to the card. Larger files seem faster, but all the little images that the OS uses for skins etc. take about 10 mins to copy over a mere 16mb or whatever it is. It takes about 1 min to copy a 128mb file to the same thing. Have yet to try playing anything yet, but the copy time seems a little ridiculous.

crystalklear64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've been messing around with it more. After formating a few times, it seems like most games behave like POR behaves for others. I can load into all the games, but they now all like to freeze. Even Sonic Rush which I thought was working, is now freezing.

Also, in game some of the graphics bug out. It, in Crystal Chronicals, when people talk, their portrait that appears looks like scrambled data ala, Missingno from the old pokemon glitch.

I'm guessing something is wrong with either my Supercard, though it passes the self test just fine, or my sd card, which functions fine in everything except the whole game freezing thing.

My steps include:
1. Format the sd card.
2. Copy OS onto card.
3. Replace the .dat with the new chrono trigger one.
4. Create a Games folder in the root.
5. Copy over games.
6. Attempt to run games.

So I don't mess with any settings, should I be?

edit: I just ran HD Tach on my card, and got random access of .8ms with average read of 18.4mb. That should be plenty fast.

further edit: I have tried 4 different SD card now ranging from .7 to .9ms random access. I'm beggining to think the Supercard is the program. I'm going to try reinstalling the firmware/shorting the battery.

Final Edit: Shorting the battery seems to have worked. The card now detects my memory, games run fine without freezing thus far, and all is well with the world. Its like I had the psram error without it telling me.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It's not made up. The autodetect tool is only good for assessing access times for games like PoR, where you can actually use those numbers. But its speed assessment is totally off.

Mine got detected at 5, occasionally 4, yet I cranked it up to 32 and there's no problems.

crystalklear64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got back from my trip. I had to reset the PSRAM again after 3 days as the corruption was starting to happen again. Looks like its just another case of faulty Supercard hardware.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try a small cut off square of creditcard type plastic in the square cut out in the casing to put pressure on the chip, then reset the battery again.

juntok_abot

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
crystalklear64 said:
Just got back from my trip. I had to reset the PSRAM again after 3 days as the corruption was starting to happen again. Looks like its just another case of faulty Supercard hardware.
open the supercard and replace the battery
psram happens to cart that already considered "old stocks"
same thing happen to old motherboard of computer,
need to re-config the bios when start, because the battery already low.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY