Freebird - Switch Clock Speed Control Sysmodule

This is a sysmodule/service for Atmosphere and ReiNX that uses IPC's to communicate with its companion NRO, Freeset. This allows you to use any clock speed I've found on the Switch. The only restriction I have put in place is that you must be plugged into an official charger or docked if you are crazy enough to want to use the highest two GPU clock speeds. I am leaving it completely up to you to choose what clock speeds you want to use. Be careful.

2019070911351400-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Intructions:
  • Atmosphere: Copy over the contents of the zip and reboot your system to load the module. Open Freeset and use that to send over the clock speeds you want.
  • ReiNX: Create a folder in your ReiNX folder named titles if there isn't one. Copy the titles folder from the atmosphere folder to ReiNX/titles. Open "010000000000C235" and move the boot2.flag to the same directory as the exefs.nsp file. Reboot and freebird should now be working on ReiNX.

X turns freebird's clock setting feature on and off. Remember to turn this off before putting your system to sleep. I'm working on it™, but it will cause and require you to fully shutdown and restart your Switch if accidentally left on. When on, freebird will check and set the clocks if they don't match what you choose. When turned off, your clock speeds will be reset and no longer forced.

A sends over the clock speeds shown/chosen from the menu. Up and down change the currently selected option, left and right change speed.

If I missed anything, don't be afraid to ask. I'm open to suggestions too.

I'd like to thank @taggen86, @nabelo, @mathew77, @vanraz86, and @Kirby567fan for taking the chances and testing it. Thanks guys!

Download link: https://gbatemp.net/download/freebird.35566/

Last edited by JK_,

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had games working at max clocks on Atmo as well, but it would usually cause the system to shut off after a while, but randomness != race condition. If a race condition existed, it would be an issue at stock clocks as well. It wouldn't get more unstable the higher the clock speeds, it would always hit the race condition no matter how fast or slow the device is going. Eg. if two conflicting issues were to collide it doesn't matter if it takes them 10 minutes or 10 seconds for them to cause issues, it would still eventually happen.
A race condition is most likely to exhibit such behavior (also its more likely to crash than not IME).
Also this chip is a buggy mess.

I think that would be called an 'improvement' or 'fix' not a bug because it didn't carry over Nintendo's own bugs. And CFW itself is a ban risk, if you don't want to get banned don't use CFW while online.
Let me tell u: there was a single flag set in the first hekate, that if it was not set, would've likely gotten everyone banned day one, when CFW was first available via the RCM exploit

I haven't personally had any issues with swkbd in Atmo or ReiNX. I've tested in multiple homebrew apps, and native Nintendo games / applets and it seems to work fine. Do you notice the issue anywhere in particular?
We had these Issues in RA (only happens at 1.75), but you cant test that properly because we clock down, so depends if Freebird will set it fast enough.

Last edited by m4xw,
Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It literally didn’t touch hwinit at all, but ok
I'm far from the most knowledgeable person here, but this is how I see things. m4xw is using terms like "race conditions" which sound fancy as hell and a lot of people won't know what they mean and assume he knows what he's talking about, but it doesn't apply here. Then when he was questioned about calling it a bug, he changed the definition of a bug rather than admit he used the wrong word. He's shown to me that he is unreliable in these matters. He says it's HWInit or secmon. Doesn't mean he's right about either of those things. Chances are more likely than not, it's a bug with Atmosphere/fusee itself rather than HWInit.

Reactions: Shibbro

AliciaBurrito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A race condition is most likely to exhibit such behavior (also its more likely to crash than not IME).
Also this chip is a buggy mess.

Let me tell u: there was a single flag set in the first hekate, that if it was not set, would've likely gotten everyone banned day one, when CFW was first available via the RCM exploit

We had these Issues in RA (only happens at 1.75), but you cant test that properly because we clock down, so depends if Freebird will set it fast enough.
If it is a race condition that has appeared out of nowhere when the clock speeds are increased, I'd be very surprised. That's all I have left to say on that matter. Though I'm curious how you figure a fairly standard ARM chip is a buggy mess - I'm sure the ARM engineers would be interested in your reasoning as would I. This isn't a one-off specialty chip from Nintendo, it's a mature platform that's used in other products at higher clock speeds just fine.

There are multiple tell-tale signs for Nintendo to ban, and I'm sure that single flag was certainly one of them - but shifting the goalpost to be about bans is a bit silly. People know what they are getting into when they CFW their Switch, and it's certainly not possible for CFW to be perfectly incognito to Nintendo. But that's besides the point and fairly off-topic.

Also responding about swkbd in RetroArch - I tested there as well and it seems to work fine. Unsure what is overriding what, but that's what I've observed at leat.

Last edited by AliciaBurrito,

p-sam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it is a race condition that has appeared out of nowhere when the clock speeds are increased, I'd be very surprised. That's all I have left to say on that matter. Though I'm curious how you figure a fairly standard ARM chip is a buggy mess - I'm sure the ARM engineers would be interested in your reasoning as would I. This isn't a one-off specialty chip from Nintendo, it's a mature platform that's used in other products at higher clock speeds just fine.

There are multiple tell-tale signs for Nintendo to ban, and I'm sure that single flag was certainly one of them - but shifting the goalpost to be about bans is a bit silly. People know what they are getting into when they CFW their Switch, and it's certainly not possible for CFW to be perfectly incognito to Nintendo. But that's besides the point and fairly off-topic.

Also responding about swkbd in RetroArch - I tested there as well and it seems to work fine. Unsure what is overriding what, but that's what I've observed at leat.

To give more context about "swkbd in RetroArch", trying to spawn the swkbd applet, whether from HB or just for example changing your console nickname in HOS Setting would cause a cyan screen (Panic code colors and their meaning are on switchbrew). "It seems to work fine" because RetroArch sets clock back to stock when out of focus (qlaunch being in foreground) or just before invoking swkbd. If you wanted to reproduce the case you could do a small hb that would pcvSetClockRate to 1785Mhz and then launch swkbd.
Also, while it was happening on my device every time, I know that some devices were unaffected.

Last edited by p-sam,

AliciaBurrito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To give more context about "swkbd in RetroArch", trying to spawn the swkbd applet, whether from HB or just for example changing your console nickname in HOS Setting would cause a cyan screen (Panic code colors and their meaning are on switchbrew). "It seems to work fine" because RetroArch sets clock back to stock when out of focus (qlaunch being in foreground) or just before invoking swkbd. If you wanted to reproduce the case you could do a small hb that would pcvSetClockRate to 1785Mhz and then launch swkbd.
That's what I have done, I've invoked it in more than just RetroArch. Some applications I have tested would be the following:
- NX-Shell
- RetroArch
- Goldleaf
- Settings applet such as Wi-Fi, console nickname, etc.
- eShop applet using title replacement for a web browser
- Userpage applet such as changing nickname
- etc.

I haven't had any issues at all in either Atmo or ReiNX unless I'm missing something here.

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still using the patches by @m4xw, the sleep mode bug is stopping me to switch to Freebird... @JK_ can you release the patched version while we wait for the big update?
Here.
That's what I gave to testers to check out. Tell me if anything happens. It's going to automatically turn itself off at sleep. This is intentional. You will have to start it again when the system wakes up.

AliciaBurrito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here.
That's what I gave to testers to check out. Tell me if anything happens. It's going to automatically turn itself off at sleep. This is intentional. You will have to start it again when the system wakes up.
From my quick testing this seems to work as expected :)

I'll keep playing with it today and let you know if I hit any bumps.

Nastas95

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here.
goint to test it for 24 Hours, i'll report back my experience!

Also, this is just a forwarder, but it speeds up setting the clock after the wake up

2019021320240900-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

Last edited by Nastas95,

YlwHrt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So m4wx i know you're going to ignore me but, i can't seem to reproduce any of the issues you've stated about context switching while overclocked.
I have tested
  • All 16 of my games
  • News
  • Controllers
  • Settings
  • Eshop (not online)
  • Album (both hbl and normal)
And gone through all their submenus and exited from said submenus, i have also gone through
  • Choinx
  • Edizon
  • Checkpoint
  • Gag order
  • Goldleaf
  • Hbappstore
  • Keyspls
  • Melonds
  • Lockpick
  • Nxshell
  • Nxthemes
  • Retroarch 1.7.5 nightly build from 5 weeks ago
  • Reitoolkit
  • Tinfoil

And none of these fatal on entry or exit, not even retroarch, my next step is testing this "RA downclocks" thing on 1.7.5 stable, and 1.7.6, and maybe even see how other versions work, ill be able to tell because at 1785 cpu spyro has no audio stutters in 1.7.5 but it has tons at stock speed, also as an EE who designs custom silicone for a living, who has watched 2 talks about switch hacking which went into the x1, and 2 talks about the x1 and tegra chips in general, and having also read most of nvidias x1 documentation you saying the x1 is a buggy mess is offensive to me personally and my field as a whole. The x1 is a 5th generation tegra processor that has had many years of devlopment in its predecessors and itself, it is a very very sturdy chip, will you please stop backpedaling and lying to sell your own personal oc tool, im fine with you selling it, im not fine with you lying to people to attract sales, bringing up bans, using big fancy words, all to impress (and scare) people who dont know how this stuff works, its the lowest kind of low.

Last edited by YlwHrt,
Reactions: Shibbro and ZeroFX

YlwHrt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet, here you are, trying to do the same thing. That's pretty indicative of this site as a whole. :glare:
Im sorry do you mind clarifying exactly what im fear mongering, im literally advocating that there is exactly nothing to be afraid off.
m4wx has a vested intrest in people thinking freebird is bad, he is selling a paid for alternative, im happy to sit down and grab my phone and record myself doing all this right now, freebird at max oc works fine is the only thing im trying to get across.
m4wx cant handle the idea that his favorite cfw (atmo) has a bug, or that his paid software has a bug so he sits on gbatemp lying instead of talking to scriesm or fixing it.

Reactions: Shibbro and Aisuga

A Generic User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I had no idea that if something in ReiNX isn't part of Atmosphere then it's a bug.

Ya know......Delta Launch is gonna be part of ReiNX and not Atmosphere..........does that mean Delta Launch is a bug?

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is ingoring the post m4wx made that just put all the blame on the freebird dev.
Let me reassure you, nothing was about the freebird dev here.
The only thing I said is he shouldn't touch homebrew's that set custom CPU clocks, which is easy to identify.
Other than that this is system stability I dealt with for the last 6 months in my research of this topic, so if I can find the root cause, that will be interesting.
The freebird users will benefit from it too, but you are too ignorant.
Just wait until we release the source, it's hilarious to think I am competing with a closed source project, trying to "sell my open source code".

Nastas95

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Let me reassure you, nothing was about the freebird dev here.
The only thing I said is he shouldn't touch homebrew's that set custom CPU clocks, which is easy to identify.
Other than that this is system stability I dealt with for the last 6 months in my research of this topic, so if I can find the root cause, that will be interesting.
The freebird users will benefit from it too, but you are too ignorant.
Just wait until we release the source, it's hilarious to think I am competing with a closed source project, trying to "sell my open source code".

@m4xw i personally love your work, i paid for your patch and used it till today. Freebird on the other hand gives me the possibility to turn the OC off whenever i want witouth deleting files on the switch and/or rebooting it. I personally don't use CPU oc and i won't go higher than 460 on GPU oc because i think that could be dangerous for my unit (and that's just my personal opinion, i can be wrong). With that said, i think: I earn my money working hard every single day, nobody should tell me how to spend MY money (and i'm not talking to you in this case @m4xw ). And this Offtopic question has gone longer than we all need so @linuxares please stop this

Last edited by Nastas95,

Crusatyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not to sound rude, but I think you need to redo your testing on a more stable platform like ReiNX. With Atmosphere being incredibly unstable as Freebird proves it to be, your testing is useless and inaccurate. It's junk data at this point. You'll have to redo it all anyway when SciresM fixes Atmosphere anyway.

Nastas95

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not to sound rude, but I think you need to redo your testing on a more stable platform like ReiNX. With Atmosphere being incredibly unstable as Freebird proves it to be, your testing is useless and inaccurate. It's junk data at this point. You'll have to redo it all anyway when SciresM fixes Atmosphere anyway.
btw reiNX is based on Atmosphere, as every single free CFW out there. Please, stop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi I am really sorry for your loss +2