Found a Strange Bootleg

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by link491, Aug 2, 2016.

1. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Hey all,

So today I was scouring my local value village for retro games among other things, and I ended up purchasing this bootleg gb cart.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I've looked around eBay and just google in general and for some reason I can't find anything about this thing. So my question for you guys is has anybody seen/owned one of these? Is there a way for me to rip the individual games from the cart, or even just get them all ripped as one file?

I'm curious to your thoughts guys,
    ~link491

2. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty GBATemp's Autismo

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    my sister got one with a legit gbc for $2.99 and a local value village, it had all four or so pokemon games for gb/gbc in Japanese

3. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    There's very little/no info for most multicarts. I have 5 different multicarts and the one I can find info on (and the one with various listings on eBay) is the pokemon diamond/jade/crystal multicart

NutymcNuty likes this.
  4. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    A friend of mine has one of those - I intend to dump it whenever I get the chance. I think we should preserve those even if most of them are just repack of other (commercial) games with bugs 'n' shit since almost all of them don't have the appropriate SRAM hardware.

5. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    I completely agree with you. There's something intriguing to me about having a rom with like 6 other games packed into it. Now the question becomes is there an effective and easily obtainable method of dumping gb carts anymore? Or did they die with the early 2000s?

6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I have some weird-ass USB programmer for a GBA cart I've got, I hope it's gonna work as a GB dumper too.

Otherwise there's some hardware dumpers you can build using Arduino and Raspberry Pi it seems.

7. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Well that looks like the route I'll be taking then :P

8. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    I can answer a phew of your questions.

Yes you can dump the games on it.
    Yes, most bootlegs gameboy/nes/snes and megadrive cartridges come from Russia.
    Depending on the games in the cartridge, they can get pretty cheap or somehow expensive. as there are some pretty nice replicas or clones ported, including the boxart and the manual.

as example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

These are some of them that i know.