Forwarder or Channel - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jadog, May 28, 2010.

May 28, 2010
  1. jadog
    OP

Newcomer jadog Member

United States
    I was looking through this forum to try to understand how to place a shortcut channel for the different apps I have in HBC, but I see some that say channel and others say forwarder. Are they the same thing?

2. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Channel is installed to wii

Forwarder is a shortcut pointing to SD/HDD

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Channels, might not need an SD card or USB inserted but they tend to not have any option to change anything then as most devs (if not all... there was an old N64 emu that wrote to a save file) would write files to SD/USB. So a channel stays the same, and needs reinstalled to change anything or be updated.
    Channels tend to take a lot more blocks too as they contain the actual app.

Forwarders, the channel is just a shortcut and loads the app from SD/USB, so you can update the app without needing to reinstall the channel, and also write/read config files etc. As the app is stored on SD/USB the channel forwarder takes a lot less space on the Wii NAND.

3. jadog
    OP

Newcomer jadog Member

United States
    Thanks Slimmmmm, that was very helpful. Now I just have to figure out which way to go...

4. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Forwarder would be the best as it doesnt take much blocks and most of the time your usually keepin the sd card in the wii anyway.

5. jadog
    OP

Newcomer jadog Member

United States
    Ok, I thought I just installed a forwarder, but now I'm not sure. How can I tell if I have a channel or forwarder installed? Is a channel a .wad and a forwarder a .dol? Sortof confused here.

6. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What is a hybrid channel?

7. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Take out your SD card. If the game and/or application does not launch then you have a forwarder.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    A hybrid channel is a mix of a forwarder and a regular channel. If it cannot find the app on the SD/USB, it will load the built-in version in the channel, meaning it will work even if the SD card isn't inserted, but it can be easily updated to a newer version of the app in question by placing it on the SD card instead of reinstalling the new channel. IMO, they're a waste of space on your Wii, and you're better with a normal forwarder if it's going to be loading the app off the SD card or USB drive anyway.