Homebrew Force all 3DS traffic to go through proxy?

truedread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm messing around with sniffing traffic from the 3DS, and it seems like certain apps don't want to follow the proxy set in system settings. Is there any way to globally force a proxy?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think there is on any system really.

If all you need to do is sniff data then why not route the traffic through your PC (using it as a gateway, or possibly having some fun with ARP poisoning)? Indeed if it is just sniffing you might even be able to drop security to a lower level before we all started getting nice per device wireless crypto.

truedread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It unfortunately involves SSL sniffing, and I can't get it to route any traffic through my proxy SSL or not :/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That does make life a bit harder. Assuming they learned their lesson from the DS and Wii and only talk via SSL (seriously, the DS and Wii stuff amounted to replace https with http and it was all happy to talk in plain, and given the stuff that led to the pokemon scanners I am not so sure they did) I would almost be tempted to mod the game to fire off packets containing the session key(s) directly to a known local address (should not be too much ASM fiddling) or find out where it is in RAM and play with savestates and decrypt post session.

DaviFlody

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question for you, do you pay for proxy servers or use free ones? My friend always advised me to use paid proxy servers, I didn't listen to him. When I started using the proxy again for work, they lost their settings, and the proxy also began to work poorly. I didn't know what to do anymore. I decided to Google my problem. It turned out that my computer is okay and that it is best to use paid proxy servers, so I came across this site https://www.proxies.com/ipv6. Now the problems are much less, and I realized that it is better to listen to a friend next time and not ignore his help. Try writing in a few more forums about this.

Last edited by DaviFlody,

masdondillard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't pay for proxy servers. Last year I somehow luckily stumbled upon a list full of free pirate pay proxies https://avoidcensorship.org/ and I've been using these proxies ever since. Thanks to these proxy I can now watch and download pretty much all movies and audio books for free. Yeah well since it's free proxy there're indeed some small problems with the connection from time to time. But overall everything works smoothly and I definitely recommend using pirate bay .

Last edited by masdondillard,

saralucano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ehm, I'm sorry, but what do you mean by forcing proxy? I have never heard such a term, and I don't even understand what you mean by that. Did you try to do that without the proxy connection? Or did you try to use some other proxies? I mean, there must be a certain issue with the proxies that you're using. So, you could try to consider residential proxies buy. As usual, these ones are much better, and they offer some unique features which you won't be able to find on a free proxy connection, as that's pure trash.

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming I am not speaking to a spammer (the posters above appear to have this a key word, and we are now on an old thread with you as a shiny new user and avatar set up).

Not all devices will have proxy settings, and some things, especially security, might bypass any device level settings in a bid to keep it that way.
People wanting to examine traffic will quite often route things through a server that goes out to the world (a proxy by any other name) that they control so as to be able to examine (sniff) data. It is fairly common in PC sides of things and older devices, but as noted above by the OP then a lot of things these days will use security as it is basically free at this point rather than a real demand on host and server and makes anything other that traffic volume and destination tests, or software lag switches I guess, kind of useless. That said the 3ds did see those pokemon scanners -- seems gamefreak or whatever broadcast the pokemon selection in plain text before the other player user had picked theirs (as in yes you can know basically everything, some were using related values found in similar things to figure out things to do with shinies, and use it to make a counter team, later an update happened to correct it but that it happened at all... Also with the 3ds being in total control of the hackers these days you can probably grab the relevant session keys* to do a decode, at which point we are off to the races with all the analysis of packets people can desire** (most likely after the fact but find where the session keys are in memory and as you can real time debug for cheat search you can probably do real time after grabbing the session key).

*for those unfamiliar with network security then while internet servers do support asymmetric encryption (one key to encode, another to decode, as opposed to symmetric which uses the same key for both encoding and decoding, cheap but you have to keep it hidden which you can not expect to happen for everything long term) it is expensive on resources. To that end most programs will not use that for all the communications and instead have the host send their own new key, one only valid for the given session hence session key, encrypted with the server's public key, the server is then the only thing that decodes it and the server and client program can then communicate using said session key.

**I am not entirely sure what people want here. Cheats is a possibility, manipulation another, hidden info from the game also is potentially shared via it and with enough analysis you might be able to replicate the protocol (some servers will have their own data and calculations happen, many more are matchmaking and packet sharing -- your home ADSL connection will probably struggle to send out packets to 16 people for a game, big server farm is nothing) to make your own servers -- free, no bans beyond those you want, no cheat detection unless you want that... see the DS and Wii wifi play restoration things. I do have a post around here that covers the theory such things in more detail https://gbatemp.net/threads/private-servers-for-online-gaming.511311/#post-8144717

Better setups will use a computer they control as an access point and manually grab data as it goes out over the wire, others will route traffic on the network through it (that was the gateway aspect), or do something similar with ARP poisoning which does much the same thing, just more doable on consumer grade networking gear. You may also need to go for Linux or Windows server -- consumer versions of Windows post XP... might even have been SP1 when raw sockets was dropped tend to have very limited options for serious network fiddling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night