Homebrew Discussion Flycast Dreamcast Emulator Is Coming Soon

proffk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like all our prayers have been answered. The brilliant m4xw & mats have announced on twitter that flycast is coming to the switch. The image on twitter looks like its for retroarch. This means proper Dreamcast emulation and better compatibility. Credits to @m4xw & other devs for there honest hard work.

The Flycast Switch Core is now available through Retroarch.

Last edited by proffk,

Shaneus

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So this is for Retroarch under Atmosphere and not Lakka? Looking forward to it, hopefully it doesn't have some of the niggles with the Lakka version (like odd framerates/vsync for certain games).

Thank you, @m4xw!

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me guess.........for Patrons only, for now???????? :angry:

EDIT - Did not know you could get Access for just $1. Will be interesting Testing it out when it is Released. Now just hoping later MAME Cores can be Released for the Switch :D

Last edited by Smoker1,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit, this is awesome.

Now if only someone can do Saturn emulation on Horizon, the Switch will be the GOAT.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

M4xw's patrons can be joined for $1, are you really complaining about $1?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sure when it's actually practical to use it will be available for all. I sure wouldn't want to use interpreter at the moment! XD

Holy shit, this is awesome.

Now if only someone can do Saturn emulation on Horizon, the Switch will be the GOAT.

Isn't Yabause on RA on Horizon already? And runs terribly?

Reactions: SubLoverD

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say later cores there's probably nothing newer than Dreamcast that's going to hit Horizon. It just doesn't have the power for say PS2, Gamecube etc...
I'm talking about MAME2010 (0.139), 2015, 2016, or if possible, the latest MAME Core. I highly doubt PS2, or GC could run on the Switch.

No its not even ready for that yet, lol.
That was for when it finally does come out.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@m4xw
I'm being a scumfuck, I know; I apologize, but any chance this may o n e day do what redream does? The 4K part.

As soon as you figure out how to get 4K output out of the Switch...

Reicast on Lakka does support higher than native rendering, though it seems to start struggling at just 2x. I'd guess its likely to be included eventually because the core is capable, but its up to the devs doing the port of course.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are HD Texture Packs that have been posted on the Forums for Libretro. Dont know if they will work out well for the Switch Port when it comes out.
Also, until the Cheat Search Function gets Fixed, best to get Cheats found on PC, or Android Builds. The Switch and Vita Builds do not work. Gets stuck at 9363 Results left, and wont go lower.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmm...okay! I figured it out: make you look like an ass for attempting to make me look like an ass and ask someone else who isn't being a scumfuck 2.0.

Geeze, that was easy.

Hey, do you want to work for me? I seriously need an abuse puppet.....NancyDS left and there was some other person, but I forgot who they were.

--------
PS...I s t r e t c h e d the "one" part out f o r a r e a s o n a n d n o t f o r a s t h e t i c s.

Well, shit, good thing I didn't ask you.

Jesus Christ, just be grateful we're getting anything to begin with! All people ever seem to give a shit about in regards to "demanding emulators" these days is the N64 because nostalgia it seems like. Hell, I'd say that 4K gaming on anything that's not a PC for the weakest of consoles is a pipe dream!

This RA core will come when it comes. Until more developments come over the Horizon, no pun intended, I'd say to be patient and grateful for whatever comes out, because I have confidence that Mats and m4xw will deliver what us DC/NAOMI/Atomiswave lovers have been waiting for on the Switch!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm being a scumfuck, I know; I apologize, but any chance this may o n e day do what redream does? The 4K part.

Reicast and Flycast has been doing it long before Redream even existed - and you don't have to pay any ridiculous license fee just to get a basic feature.
I somehow doubt its performance would be particularly graceful at higher resolutions, and tbh the 2D artifacting, even with perfect resolution doubling, irks me enough to not use it.

Last edited by SeongGino,
Reactions: Rfire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1