Hacking Flashme 7 control brightness with phat ds?

heyyouguys

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I friend of mine was telling me that you could flash a phat ds with the lite version and control the brightness, is there any truth to that?

heyyouguys

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a version 1 ds. It is flashed now with flashme 7 prior to the lite release ver 7. Am I out of luck? If not let me know how.

thanks in advance,

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess it would be right, but from my theory, it would make the screen brighter but by washing out the colours, which are none too strong initially.

On the DS Lite, shamefully, I find anything higher than the default brightness (Brightness 2), too bright. The brightness that matches the Phat DS works fine, even outside.

Why?

Simply because the colour vibrance is much improved. I do not think the backlight was the problem all along, it was the colour vibrance.
Even with the backlight off, the colours still beat those of the Phat DS on its "highest brightness". This makes visibility easier. Plus the viewing angles are excellent.
At first I thought that the green shades on the DS lite were overly exxagerated, but comparing them to greens on the DS, I realised they were virtually non-existant on that. So perhaps they are slighly exagerrated, but it does not detract from the game experience.

If you want to know what exactly colour vibrance is, or just test the difference it can make, if you have a nvidia graphics card in you pc, go to

Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>"*your graphics card model*" tab>Colour correction>On this screen, just adjust the "digital vibrance" slider and you will start to see your monitor match those colours of the DS Lite!

kvad

Trophies
Website
www.dynamitepig.com
XP
Country
I call bs on this issue imo. How did people force flashme to use the firmware for the lite on the phat? Did they program it to do so?

If I'm wrong I would not mind either. The phat's brightness is sucky.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I call bs on this issue imo. How did people force flashme to use the firmware for the lite on the phat? Did they program it to do so?

If I'm wrong I would not mind either. The phat's brightness is sucky.
It has already been confirmed time and time again that V5 DS can have Flashme Lite installed on it for brightness control. I'm guessing they used the "beta" version that installed the DS Lite Flashme only. The only difference between the final beta and what we have now is that the current one has the standard flashme bundled in and it detects which one to install.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here goes.
The DS has had a few different versions of firmware in it, this can be checked with the pictochat test.
People that have v5 firmware in their DS (note not V5 flashme, v5 firmware) may have had a chip in it that was used in the lite.
This chip being there means you can install a version of flashme and gain the variable brightness levels on a normal DS.
Onto the flashme part.
V7 flashme breakdown.
First there was V7 original, this was not able to take advantage of the variable light levels of the DSlite.
A beta release was err released which enabled this variable light levels to work on the lite.
Lastly the beta version and the original version were bundled together with some detection code to get the current version of flashme, confusingly for some this was also called version 7.

In conclusion:
You will need to have a DS that has V5 firmware, no DS with a lower firmware version has the chip required. I do not know if all DS' with v5 firmware had this chip but it seems likely.
You will need the very latest version of flashme (you can force the beta but I do not advise it) and when you try and run it the chip, if you have it, will be detected and the version that allows variable light levels will be installed.
You now will have variable light levels.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK heres my story:

pink DS, with V4 firmware (said so at the bottom of the flasme program)
Flashed it with the 526kb flashme version, and suddenly it had the same light settings as the ds lite.

And yes I used the exact same flashme file for every other ds i flashed and also my ds lite, and only that pink ds had the light settings all other ds had on/off (except for the ds lite of course)

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
OK heres my story:

pink DS, with V4 firmware (said so at the bottom of the flasme program)
Flashed it with the 526kb flashme version, and suddenly it had the same light settings as the ds lite.

And yes I used the exact same flashme file for every other ds i flashed and also my ds lite, and only that pink ds had the light settings all other ds had on/off (except for the ds lite of course)
That's really weird. Maybe a very small few of the V4 DS's also have the power management chip? The only real way to find out would be to open it up. You sure it's V4?

After hearing this I might attempt to reflash my V4 DS with the newest V7 Flashme (I used the old one before) - it's worth a shot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google