Has anyone flashed this beta DS firmware?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flashme is just a modification tool. noflashme is the restore original firmware type deal you would presumably want to overwrite the relevant versions of (it is more than just original-lite as well as there were several versions so you might even need to seek an earlier version still).

Alternatively ppflash https://www.darkfader.net/ds/ would be an option for this.

Some emulators also support running the firmware.

Some will also render the firmware an nds file so you can run it there (not like games don't have access to all the hardware and thus if you can then eh).

I don't know what a beta firmware will gain from the hacking perspective. You might have less security but that was already obviated by flashme.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Flashme is just a modification tool. noflashme is the restore original firmware type deal you would presumably want to overwrite the relevant versions of (it is more than just original-lite as well as there were several versions so you might even need to seek an earlier version still).

Alternatively ppflash https://www.darkfader.net/ds/ would be an option for this.

Some will also render the firmware an nds file so you can run it there (not like games don't have access to all the hardware and thus if you can then eh).

I don't know what a beta firmware will gain from the hacking perspective. You might have less security but that was already obviated by flashme.
ppflash looks great! thanks for the info.
will put that on my long long list of projects. soldering doesn't look crazy.
reason: would just be interesting to have the beta firmware: text based menu, gameboy boot screen(?), and the children saying 'nintendo' at boot is enough for me!

just a bit of fun :)

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Nice to know.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
that's great! - I wonder if they'd share what process they used to flash it. (I don't have twitter)
those 2 users aren't registered (with those names here)

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have it, any plans on how it would work?
If you do, then it would be nice if you posted it here. To goal would be to simply replace the firmware file in the source code with the beta firmware.

KirgoPlayer007

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
If you do, then it would be nice if you posted it here. To goal would be to simply replace the firmware file in the source code with the beta firmware.
I think this is it. I have the noflashme one too (I will remove this If Loopy isn't ok with it)

Attachments

• flashme.zip
    542.3 KB · Views: 45

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is the reason why I love GBAtemp usually, if only there could be more like this and less political BS on here.
Keep up the good work guys
So far we haven't had a problem with the political section being on the forums, I get your point though with all of the bullshit people spew out, which is why I don't go there for a reason. For why this section exists you may ask, it was made to stop people from spreading political conversations from outside of the forums, which is why they made a dedicated section for it.

Reactions: HalfScoper

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So just replace? No renaming? And how do I compile it back?
devKitPro needs to be installed, as the script mentions 'ndstool' which is a part of devKitARM.
Post automatically merged:

You may need to modify the code slighty for it to compile on the latest version of devKitPro.
Post automatically merged:

Here's my diagram showing which point you need to shorten to flash the new firmware. The later DS revisions don't allow you to re-write the firmware.

flashme-diagram.jpg

Last edited by SylverReZ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is just an ndstool repack then any random ROM rebuilding/file fiddling tool should do (ndstool follows more or less with the commercial file system), and you should be able to find ndstool around in general and as part of dsbuff and dslazy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1