Hacking Flashcart vs CFW revisited

s33ker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First of all hello, I'm new here, this is my first post.

I didn't want to be a nuisance so I've spent a lot of time researching. Also I started writing a long post here then lost it, so I'll just cut it short this time. I have a few questions.

I've been using R4 with DS lite for years. I bought a used 3DS XL for larger screens and more games. I became aware of CFW and read pros and cons of both CFW and flashcarts. I've watched many videos.

I'm left confused by the perplexing variety of CFWs, methods to install and ways to play and emulate. It's a huge maze. My first question would be:

Is it possible to install CFW (like Luma) without using flashcarts? I've seen them being used in videos. Don't recall any methods without them. The simplest method I've seen was using an R4 with B9S. You unscrew the cart, flick the switch, and it does it for you so you don't have to download-copy-paste 100 times. So the first question is, if you need a flashcart to install CFW wnyway, then why not just play off the cart?

Especially since as I understand it playing around with CFW can brick your system and flashcarts can pretty much never do that. So no risk.

Thirdly on CFW you still have to install every single game, and if you want others you uninstall and install again. With flashcart it's drag-and-drop, no?

Just to clear it up, I do not intend to use my 3DS for playing with others through the internet. I want to keep it offline forever, with wi-fi off at all times. Also I don't want to do geeky stuff on it, I simply want to be able to play all games without geo restrictions and try new games before I buy a license. That's all.

Why does everyone insist CFW is the way to go when it's more risky and time-consuming and you need a cart to install it anyway? And if CFW is indeed the way to go, is Luma the best? Is there a "best" (quick, not over-complicated and safe) method to do it? And Luma is safe as long as I don't update the OFW through the internet, right? I'm still a bit confused as to what it means that Luma runs ALONGSIDE the OFW. Why not a CFW that replaces the original? So is it like having 2 operating systems on a computer or what? Or is Luma more like an emulated environment?

That reminds me, I also would like to play GBA games and preferrably other older system games emulated, without quality loss, meaning no slowing down and lagging and snagging, whatever the right term. At the moment I use GBArunner on my R4 on the DSL. It's like 2 files added to the root of a micro SD, so simple.

That would be it for now, thanks for any elucidation I might be given. Hope to get some consensus here, I expect contradictory recommendations, as usual. Ideally it should be like "there's a best way, it's this: ... find step-by-step video here". Sadly it's not. I appreciate any thoughts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I didn't want to be a nuisance so I've spent a lot of time researching. Also I started writing a long post here then lost it, so I'll just cut it short this time. I have a few questions.

I've been using R4 with DS lite for years. I bought a used 3DS XL for larger screens and more games. I became aware of CFW and read pros and cons of both CFW and flashcarts. I've watched many videos.

I'm left confused by the perplexing variety of CFWs, methods to install and ways to play and emulate. It's a huge maze. My first question would be:

Is it possible to install CFW (like Luma) without using flashcarts? I've seen them being used in videos. Don't recall any methods without them. The simplest method I've seen was using an R4 with B9S. You unscrew the cart, flick the switch, and it does it for you so you don't have to download-copy-paste 100 times. So the first question is, if you need a flashcart to install CFW wnyway, then why not just play off the cart?

Especially since as I understand it playing around with CFW can brick your system and flashcarts can pretty much never do that. So no risk.

Thirdly on CFW you still have to install every single game, and if you want others you uninstall and install again. With flashcart it's drag-and-drop, no?

Just to clear it up, I do not intend to use my 3DS for playing with others through the internet. I want to keep it offline forever, with wi-fi off at all times. Also I don't want to do geeky stuff on it, I simply want to be able to play all games without geo restrictions and try new games before I buy a license. That's all.

Why does everyone insist CFW is the way to go when it's more risky and time-consuming and you need a cart to install it anyway? And if CFW is indeed the way to go, is Luma the best? Is there a "best" (quick, not over-complicated and safe) method to do it? And Luma is safe as long as I don't update the OFW through the internet, right? I'm still a bit confused as to what it means that Luma runs ALONGSIDE the OFW. Why not a CFW that replaces the original? So is it like having 2 operating systems on a computer or what? Or is Luma more like an emulated environment?

That reminds me, I also would like to play GBA games and preferrably other older system games emulated, without quality loss, meaning no slowing down and lagging and snagging, whatever the right term. At the moment I use GBArunner on my R4 on the DSL. It's like 2 files added to the root of a micro SD, so simple.

That would be it for now, thanks for any elucidation I might be given. Hope to get some consensus here, I expect contradictory recommendations, as usual. Ideally it should be like "there's a best way, it's this: ... find step-by-step video here". Sadly it's not. I appreciate any thoughts.
The R4 method (ntrboot) doesn't save you any downloading, copying or pasting, it's simply an alternate method to exploit the console, once you are past that first hurdle the steps are largely the same.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ has all the information you need. Latest firmware doesn't need you to purchase anything to hack (software or hardware), no flashcart or anything.

Also, you can update it normally, just make sure you update Luma3DS first.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used the safecerthax on my sons old 3ds xl. As long you follow the steps it's real simple and took about 20 mins in total, even if that.

Should you go for that method, I'd recommend reading through the steps first just to download the required files to have them ready and just to familiarise yourself with what's happening. It's real easy tho!

D

Deleted User

Dude, you don't need a flashcart to install CFW. CFW can do way more than a lame flashcart anyway.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Also: you can't use R4 cards to play 3DS games, it'll just play DS games. So, unless you want some Gateway (Gatebrick) or any other old and outdated flashcard that involves creating emuNANDs and procedures for older firmwares, there's no better alternative than CFW.

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South

First of all, Using a flashcart to install CFW is now an obsolete method, since there are exploits in most recent firmware that can be triggered without additional softwares. You only need micro SD card to install it.

You'll only have to use your flashcart when you messed something up and can't boot your 3DS normally.

It is true that CFW has some risks of bricking your system- that is when you try to do risky stuffs. When all you do is just running some games or verified homebrews without messing around, You wouldn't really brick it.

also, I'm pretty sure you're missing this right now, but Flashcarts can only run DS games, even in 3DS. That's why everyone is insisting to use CFW- You can run games from 3DS, DS, GBA and more with CFW while you can only play DS games with flashcarts. not to mention you would also have to buy that, while you basically only need micro SD card to install CFW.

Luma is most widely used CFW at the moment, and It is fairly easy to set up. https://3ds.hacks.guide/ has a well-written, verified up to date guide, I recommend you to check it.

Luma is installed on your SD card, since overwriting your NAND is a quite risky job. It is called Emunand, It emulates your NAND. that said, It is actually safe to update your firmware. Luma carries over with you, and it doesn't break easily.

You have 2 ways to run GBA games on 3DS natively(not emulating)- First one is VC injection. You have a simple tool to do the job.
Second one is the one that you're using, GBARunner2. It runs in DS mode. To run the DS game on your 3DS, You need TWiLightMenu.

Now you know that 3DS games can only be run with CFW, You might have to think about it again. ;)

Good luck, and have fun! :yay3ds:

Last edited by KokoseiJ,
Reactions: fmkid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free